corner corner How to Stop the Next War Now: Effective Responses to Violence and Terrorism

How to Stop the Next War Now: Effective Responses to Violence and Terrorism
by Jodie Evans, Medea Benjamin | Nonfiction
Registered by veruca of Austin, Texas USA on Monday, May 23, 2005

status (set by veruca): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by veruca from Austin, Texas USA on Monday, May 23, 2005

This book was put together by the founders of CodePink, a women's peace group that sprung up before the Iraq war started.

I'm about 75 pages into it so far and loving it, so I bought this extra copy to share. It offers up a lot of food for thought, including ideas for moving from a "dominator" model in our society to a more democratic "partnership" model, how to educate your children in peacebuilding, and so on.

Journal Entry 2 by veruca from Austin, Texas USA on Monday, May 23, 2005

This book will be traveling on a bookring. Send me a private message if you're interested in participating.

Tips for successful participation in a bookray or ring:

• As soon as you receive the book, add a journal entry so the sender knows it wasn't lost in transit.
  • Try to read the book within 1-3 months so those after you in the shipping order don't have to wait too long.
  • When you mail the book, add a journal entry with the date you mailed it. This will help me track it down with the postal service if it gets lost in transit.
Here are the BookCrossers who have expressed an interest in this bookring. We'll try to stick to this order if at all possible. When you're done, send a private message to the next person on the list and arrange to mail it to him or her. Enjoy!

lunabjp
Morphy
zzz
...then back to veruca

Journal Entry 3 by veruca from Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Sent via media mail to lunabjp this morning. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by lunabjp from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Friday, May 27, 2005

received this afternoon. Hope to delve in during this long weekend. Thank you.

Journal Entry 5 by lunabjp from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Wednesday, June 08, 2005

This is an absolute must read and I have to get a copy to keep and share among friends. It's an amazing collection of writings, insights and useful suggestions from a diverse, intelligent group of women. I recognize many of the names and I'm filled with a sense of community and possibility. I was also introduced to some remarkable women who I plan to read more about. I really loved “The Open Space of Democracy” By Terry Tempest Williams- Thanks for sharing this book!! I'm happy to send it on to the next fortunate reader.

Journal Entry 6 by spark from San Francisco, California USA on Wednesday, June 22, 2005

received this yesterday and am still pondering Arundhati Roy's introduction.

I am looking forward to the calm voices I hear in this book using words to address violence and terrorism which are not, in themselves, violence and terrorism.

and all knees are firmly in place.

Journal Entry 7 by spark from San Francisco, California USA on Monday, July 04, 2005

It is hard to rate a book like this which is a potpouri of opinion and anecdote -- much of it compelling and just a little of it strident -- so I jumped around landing here and there on the wisdom of smart women warriors in this battle against the idea of war and global domination. Some voices that stand out: Katrina Van Heuvel: "In the end I believe the full story will come out -- it always does -- because someone is heading into the cave with a torch.", Eve Ensler: "Real power is about being bigger than revenge.", Camilo Mejia: "Let us, collectively, free our minds, soften our hearts, comfort the wounded, put down our weapons, and reassert ourselves as human beings by putting an end to war." .... and Wangari Maathai: "protecting the global environment is directly related to securing peace."

This is really just a collection of short essays and I wished for more depth to many of the pieces I read. But, still, a wonderful starting point for serious conversation and assessment of where we, as women, are in the world of dissent.

Passing this on to next in line.

Journal Entry 8 by veruca from Austin, Texas USA on Sunday, January 08, 2006

This book might be lost. sfbookgirl never received it in the mail. I sent a PM to spark to confirm that she sent it.

Update: spark hasn't been able to get this book into the mail yet. She might be able to get it out at the end of this month or worst case, in April sometime.