corner corner k.d.lang All you get is Me

Registered by meeradji on Saturday, May 21, 2005

status (set by Wirigerie): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by meeradji on Saturday, May 21, 2005

From Library Journal
Journalist Starr presents a laudatory, in-depth biography of Grammy Award-winning country/pop singer k.d. lang. With material culled from numerous interviews, the author begins with lang's childhood in Canada, which was punctuated by the sudden disappearance of her father. Starr continues with the singer's affection for Patsy Cline-style country music, her rise to prominence as a progressive country artist, and her subsequent redirection to pop balladry. Throughout, the journalist analyzes the impact of lang's gender, lesbianism, and animal rights activism on her career. Though sometimes exaggerating the stature of her subject, Starr offers a well-written, thoroughly researched look at lang and the social climate in which she has become popular. Recommended for enthusiasts of music and popular culture.
David Szatmary, Univ. of Washington, Seattle
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Journal Entry 2 by meeradji on Monday, May 30, 2005

the book is traveling to Australia today. Have fun with it, cathyinoz!

Journal Entry 3 by cathyinoz from Warrandyte, Victoria Australia on Sunday, October 02, 2005

I'm so sorry, I just realized I didn't journal this when it arrived. :-(

I thoroughly enjoyed this book for several reasons. 1) I have always liked k.d.'s music.
Also because she was in and around Edmonton when I was at U. of A. I remember seeing her on a local afternoon talk show. I'm wondering if it was for promotion of the western musical she was performing in or just for a gig she was playing locally. She was dressed up in her cowgirl gear and I can remember thinking how zany and fun she came across.
3) I was pleasantly surprised while reading to realize that her guitarist, Gordie Matthews from the reclines days now plays guitar for Ian Tyson and my old boyfriend from highschool/university plays bass for Ian Tyson. What a small world, eh?

Saw the Alberta TV special done for the centenary when I was home in August visiting family and thoroughly enjoyed her brief performance on that. Am convinced I need a copy of her new album now.

Thanks for sharing this piece of Canada, meeradji, I'm passing it on to a couple of bookcrossers down here.

Journal Entry 4 by cathyinoz from Warrandyte, Victoria Australia on Sunday, October 02, 2005

Several people have expressed interest in reading this bio so i'll sort out a little bookray for it.

Here it is: (please apply normal bookring/ray rules and courtesies)

megami NT
aleonblue Qld
magicjessnrach SA
sarahbear TAS
wirigerie SA (I've left you at the end so you can wild release to your friends, is that OK?)---- it's here
...

thanks all for your interest :-)

Journal Entry 5 by cathyinoz from Warrandyte, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, October 04, 2005

POSTED: 0CTOBER 4, 2005 to megami

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Megami on Thursday, October 13, 2005

Recieved in the mail yesterday. I realise that there are a few people who want to read this one, so i will make sure it is near the top of TBR mountain. If i haven't finished it by the end of October i will send anyway...

Journal Entry 7 by Megami on Thursday, October 27, 2005

I tried this book but didn't finish - the writing style wasn't really for me (i am not a fan of the magazine article extend to book style of writing). I am a huge fan of k.d. lang so if i didn't have such a ginormous pile of books waiting for me i might have plowed through but a) so many books, so little time and b) i know other people are waiting.

Thanks for including me anyway - at least it meant i dug out my k.d. lang CD collection and took it to work to listen to during the day!

Journal Entry 8 by Megami at Postal release in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 27, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (10/27/2005 UTC) at Postal release in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by aleonblue from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, November 03, 2005

Received this book in the mail today - thanks Meganami. Look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 10 by aleonblue from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I really enjoyed this book. I've read a bit about k d Lang before and saw snippets on the tele, so this book filled in a few gaps. I was particularly surprise about the kerfuffle that the support she gave for the anti-meat campaign created! Have always enjoyed her music - so I think it's time I go out and buy a CD of her's. Her voice really is a magical one.

Thank for sharing the book an a little bit of Canada.

Journal Entry 11 by magicjessnrach from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Friday, November 18, 2005

Received this today, thank-you. So many books to read now :)

Journal Entry 12 by sarahbear from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Arrived here in sunny St Helens this morning.

Journal Entry 13 by sarahbear from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Friday, March 17, 2006

Everytime I read one of these books about a famous person I say to myself "never again" but I did it :) Anyway for as far as this type of book goes it was ok. Thanks for sharing.

Posting on to wirigerie as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 14 by sarahbear from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, March 26, 2006

Posting today :)
Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 15 by Wirigerie from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Monday, April 03, 2006

Arrived this morning - Thanks! I was starting to worry it was lost in the mail.

Can't wait to start reading it.