corner corner Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Restaurant at the End of the Universe
by Douglas Adams | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by easyskanking of Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, September 27, 2002

status (set by fflloorr): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by easyskanking from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, September 27, 2002

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books are hilarious. The first one was brilliant; this, part three I think? is still pretty funny. Good for lazy or sick days. Sure it don't need no further introduction ;-).

Journal Entry 2 by easyskanking at Hotel Duomo in Firenze, Toscana Italy on Monday, February 03, 2003

Released on Sunday, February 02, 2003 at Hotel Duomo in Firenze, Toscana Italy.

on the free-for-all bookshelf around the corner from the reception ... i must admit ... i took a "midnight's children" (rushdie) from there ... so this is perhaps a meagre exchange ... but i hope some day someone will find it, read it *and* note that this is not just any old left-hanging-around book, it's a book crossing book! so (s)he won't have to feel guilty when (s)he takes it on with him/her on further voyages ...

Journal Entry 3 by solimano from Firenze, Toscana Italy on Wednesday, February 12, 2003

I didn't hope to find it! It's a great little book. I have enjoyed to read news about Arthur Dent & friends.
How can we have tea from a Nutri-Matic Drinks Synthesizer? "Share and enjoy".

Journal Entry 4 by solimano at Spedito alla Posta per un amico BCer in Rignano sull'Arno, Toscana Italy on Monday, March 31, 2003

Release planned for Tuesday, April 01, 2003 at Spedito alla Posta per un amico BCer in Rignano sull'Arno, Toscana Italy.

Fa parte di una BC box.

Journal Entry 5 by aidan on Thursday, April 10, 2003

Finalmente è arrivata la bookbox di Solimano, cominciavo a preoccuparmi...
Grazie, ottima scelta di libri !!
Inizio con questo visto che poi lo devo mandare a fflloorr per il suo bookring.

Journal Entry 6 by aidan on Thursday, April 17, 2003

As enjoyable as the first one !
I am sending it to Portugal and waiting for the others of the series...

Journal Entry 7 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, April 28, 2003

Thanks Aidan for sending this book to me. This one goes directly to a bookray.

Journal Entry 8 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, May 06, 2003

This is the updated list of the participants in this bookray:
Jcleto - Portugal
Anabanana - USA
Bookcookie39 - USA
Sgscarcliff - USA
Tuz - Brasil
Mattellaca - Portugal(currently has ownership)

Xanocas - Portugal
JeSuisBelle - Philippines
Dospescados - USA
Let the bookray begin. :-)

Journal Entry 9 by jcleto from Haarlem, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, May 11, 2003

Recieved it from flor the other day , just finished the first one , i will start reading it right away!

Journal Entry 10 by jcleto from Haarlem, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, May 26, 2003

A great read!
The adventure across the universe continues , from the end of the universe to the start of the human race.

Journal Entry 11 by jcleto at on Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Released on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at CTT in Lisbon, Lisbon Portugal.

A caminho do Porto para a nastenka-d.

Journal Entry 12 by nastenka-d from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Do you care about the meaning of life, the universe, and everything? Well, there's nothing better for you to do than to read this book. While reading it, I've tried several times to explain what the book was about. I gave up when I reached the number forty two.
Can't wait to read the following books.

Journal Entry 13 by Winkiemoon from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, July 07, 2003

The trip continues through the Universe in search of the meaning of the forty-two.

Journal Entry 14 by joaninha from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Saturday, July 12, 2003

My God...this book has TRAVELED SO MUCH!
Joana

Journal Entry 15 by easyskanking from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, July 18, 2003

This' the guy who originally released this book ... 'sbeen a pleasure to get the e-mails about continuing journal notes about it ... SO ... if i get this correctly, it's now on a "bookray", and that means it'll be sent from person to person down the list that fflloooorr mentioned? That's cool. Lots of notes to come then, still, I gather.

Its cool for one more reason, cause I think I see a few names I recognize - mammajamma, cobaltcat? Both from the USA, you're still to come up - did either of ya by any chance discover about BookCrossing through Abuzz or A2K? Your usernames seem familiar from there ... I'm "no-itsme" resp. "nimh" - so perhaps you actually heard about BookCrossing through me! That'd be funny .. Well, lets wait & see ;-).

Journal Entry 16 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Friday, October 03, 2003

Received this little book today in the mail from Fflloorr. I'll start reading next week!

Journal Entry 17 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Monday, October 13, 2003

sorry to all fans of this author, I just couldn't get into it, I thought "why not? I'll try it" but it's really not my cup of tea. So I'll pass it on to the next person, hope you'll enjoy it!
Sent out to "Rhenium3" in Czech Republic today, October 13th.

Journal Entry 18 by Rhenium3 from Skellefteå, Västerbotten Sweden on Wednesday, October 22, 2003

K guys, I got the book. Took me a few days to register it, sorry about that. Reading it now and then I'll send it off to the next person!
Hilary

Journal Entry 19 by lostnomad on Monday, November 10, 2003

Just came home and found the book waiting for me.. will read it as soon as i do and i guess that will be pretty soon..

---------

15-11-2003

I read it last night, its a little less funny then the first but still its a excelent read...

A big THANX to all who contributed in getting this little book to my doorstep.. Its ready to be send to the next lucky reader..

Greetings,
lostnomad

Journal Entry 20 by easyskanking from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, November 16, 2003

hey! its back in the netherlands. thats cool ...

Journal Entry 21 by Mojorisin2 from Stevenage, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Recieved today, I will read it and journal/send it on to the next person in the list.

Journal Entry 22 by Mojorisin2 from Stevenage, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 11, 2003

Great book! I have emailed muvrino for address details.

Journal Entry 23 by muvrino from Tribano, Veneto Italy on Thursday, January 08, 2004

Arrived!

Journal Entry 24 by lady-sybil from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, March 30, 2004

He made it to North America :-)Welcome in Canada, o well traveled book!

Journal Entry 25 by lady-sybil from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, April 10, 2004

Guess what I did this Easter weekend :-)

This was another fun installment of that great thrilogy in five (or was it six?) parts, The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I came accros my favorite Douglas Adams quote while reading this book:

on governments/presidents (p 152) - "...it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

... and I think I found a new favorite Douglas Admas quote (how did I miss it the first few times that I read this book?):

on cars (p 128) - "The disadvantages involved in pulling lots of black sticky slime from out of the ground where it had been safely hidden out of harm's way, turning it into tar to cover the land with, smoke to fill the air with and pouring the rest into the sea, all seem to outweigh the advantages of being able to get more quickly from one place to another - particularly when the place you arrived at had probably become, as a result of this, very similar to the place you had left, i.e. covered with tar, full of smoke and short of fish."

... I could not have put it better :-)

Thanks fflloorr for organizing this ray (and easyskanking, for releasing this little gem into the wild), it will be off to next participant as soon as I have an address.

Mailed to Agrace: 04/22/2004

Journal Entry 26 by Agrace from Frisco, Texas USA on Monday, May 10, 2004

This arrived a few days ago. I'm about half-way done and am enjoying it!

Journal Entry 27 by Agrace from Frisco, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 01, 2004

not exactly my type of book, but hey, it made me laugh out-loud a couple of times.

sending it to Karoda today

Journal Entry 28 by karoda from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, June 08, 2004

This book arrived today.

Journal Entry 29 by karoda at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Friday, August 06, 2004

Released on Friday, August 06, 2004 at fellow bookcrosser in Las Cruces, New Mexico USA.

Dropped in the box this morning to mammajamma.

Journal Entry 30 by mammajamma from Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Saturday, August 21, 2004

Thanks Karoda! Got it in today's mail and am excited about reading it. I really enjoyed "Hitchhiker" and "Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul". Douglas Adams is hilarious.

Journal Entry 31 by mammajamma from Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Saturday, August 21, 2004

I was unable to get hold of cobaltcat, so this went out to anabanana in today's mail. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did - Douglas Adams is great!

Journal Entry 32 by anabanana from Pasadena, California USA on Sunday, October 03, 2004

Received the book in the mail yesterday. I can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 33 by anabanana from Pasadena, California USA on Friday, October 15, 2004

I particularly enjoyed the Golgafrincham's planning meeting. I'll send this on very soon... Thanks to all for continuing it on its journey.

Journal Entry 34 by bookcookie39 from Simi Valley, California USA on Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Received in yesterday's mail from anabanana - looking forward to reading it again (my old copy has disappeared...)! I'll start as soon as I finish my current read, which is on a book-club-meeting deadline. Thanks!

Journal Entry 35 by bookcookie39 from Simi Valley, California USA on Sunday, January 09, 2005

Enjoyed reading this again - it had been a while. However, I found that I preferred "Hitchhiker's Guide" this time around...several years ago, I had liked "Restaurant" more.

I had signed up for fflloorr's bookrings because I wanted to re-read both "Hitchhiker" and "Restaurant" and thought my own copies were lost - but I found them in a storage box just last week! Is that some kind of weird Bookcrossing luck or something?

I'll send this out to the next person on the list some time this week - will PM for the address today.

Journal Entry 36 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Tuesday, January 18, 2005

I just received. I look forward to reading and sending on.

Journal Entry 37 by Tuz from Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais Brazil on Monday, April 25, 2005

Wow, I'm so looking forward to reading this one! Thanks a lot :)

First time I read it; pretty awesome book :)

I'll send it on as soon as I have an address.

October 19, 2005 - Sent to Mattellaca in Portugal. Happy Bookcrossing! :)

Journal Entry 38 by mattellaca from Águeda, Aveiro Portugal on Thursday, August 10, 2006

Thanks Flor, because I thought that I made the JE.Sorry, but I completly forgot this book! I'll ask for Xanocas'address to sent it away. Sorry, once more!

Journal Entry 39 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, April 07, 2008

Can someone tell me status of this book, please?