corner corner A Prayer for Owen Meany

A Prayer for Owen Meany
by John Irving | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Sobergirl of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 5/18/2005

status (set by helenhelenhelen): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Extra copy from second hand bookstore for Bookcrossing purposes.

It's in mint condition. I don't think it's ever been read.

Travelling to turbobarge, RABCK.

A very unofficial John Irving Page

Journal Entry 2 by turbobarge from Cairo, Cairo Governorate Egypt on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

RABCK from Sobergirl. My first one. Thank you ever so much. I'm really grateful. Will journal it again once read.

Journal Entry 3 by turbobarge from Cairo, Cairo Governorate Egypt on Monday, August 08, 2005

Just finished reading this and I *REALLY* enjoyed it. I wasn't sure I would like it at first, but I became so involved with the characters and was desperate to find out whether Owen Meany had been right all along.
Fantastic- thanks so much, Sobergirl

Journal Entry 4 by turbobarge from Cairo, Cairo Governorate Egypt on Sunday, November 20, 2005

I liked this so much, I thought I would send it on its travels, so it is now an international bookring!

The list is now closed for this ring. I will try to get it out this week.
Please journal it when you get it, and PM the next person straight away for their address so there will be no delays in passing it on once you've read it. Please try not to sit on it too long. I know it's fairly long, so I think about 4-6 weeks is fair.
Enjoy!

Bookwormnicky, Newcastle, England
Chas04, Bishop's Stortford, England
Giz-Angel, London, England
JohnSteed, Zurzach, Switzerland
Kbudgie, St. Paul's Bay, Malta<-----It's here!
Heliz922, New York, USA
Wildcatsong, Kentucky, USA
Gothamgal, Ohio, USA
Guinaveve, Ohio, USA
PaigeTurner, Texas USA
Glitterspank, Louisiana, USA

Journal Entry 5 by turbobarge from Cairo, Cairo Governorate Egypt on Thursday, December 08, 2005

Sent to Bookworm Nicky today

Journal Entry 6 by bookwormnicky from Bristol City Centre, Bristol United Kingdom on Friday, December 30, 2005

This book was sent to me on a bookray just before Christmas. I have wanted to read it for years and it lived up to my expectations, although it is maybe a little too long. The charaters are interesting and fluid and the book is very cleverly constructed and composed. I hope that the rest of you in the bookray enjoy it as much as I have! Just about to mail the next person and will send on asap.

Journal Entry 7 by bookwormnicky from Bristol City Centre, Bristol United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I have the received postage details of Chas04 and I intend to get to the post office to before closing this afternoon to send 'A Prayer for Owen Meany of the Next Leg of the Journey! I hope that you enjoy it Chas04!

Journal Entry 8 by chas04 from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 08, 2006

Got the book and as soon as I finish the my other bookray (Anne of Green Gables) I'll start on this one.

17.2.06
I had to take this book round Peru with me to finish it but I did in the end, and as I was away for three weeks my friend read it too.

Owen Meany is a great character, and the book definitely takes on more meaning towards the end when everything starts to knit together. However, it did get a little dry when the older John Wheelwright chatted about his feelings towards America and religion. I know that the book centres around these themes and it is a great story but I really wanted to skip these, although I made myself read them.

I apologise for having the book for so long and I'll send it to Giz-Angel once I have their address.

Journal Entry 9 by chas04 from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 27, 2006

Being posted on to JOhnSteed, Switzerland as Giz-Angel asked to be skipped.

Journal Entry 10 by JohnSteed from Bad Zurzach, Aargau Switzerland on Thursday, March 02, 2006

Owen reached my hideout - can't wait to immerse in it

Journal Entry 11 by JohnSteed from Bad Zurzach, Aargau Switzerland on Monday, April 24, 2006

First I need to apologize. I started reading this book almost a month after it reached me. But any serious Bookcrosser has enough books to read anyways - so that I don't think the delay did too much harm ;)

I love this book. Sure - another author most likely would tell the same story in less words. But then it wouldn't be an Irving. There are so many threads in the book which on first sight don't seem to lead to anything. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the end all leads to one most dramatic climax. And although the story has that religous touch it still doesn't "preach".

I'll never forget Owen Meany.

-----

the book is ready to travel to Malta

Journal Entry 12 by JohnSteed at BookRing in UTILISER 'Libération contrôlée' > Pays > Province > Ville, .---controlled release---. Switzerland on Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (4/25/2006 UTC) at BookRing in UTILISER 'Libération contrôlée' > Pays > Province > Ville, .---controlled release---. Switzerland

>>>>>> Kbudgie, St. Paul's Bay, Malta

Journal Entry 13 by kbudgie on Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Another ring book on the slowly diminishing TBR pile, off to Canada as soon as I finish it :D

Journal Entry 14 by kbudgie on Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Started this one but have been very busy and have not gotten very far. I will read it ASAP and send it on its way. Sorry for the delay

Journal Entry 15 by kbudgie on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Well I finally finished reading this book.
I have to say I am glad I persevered with it as I could not really get into it when I first started.

Thank you for the opportunity to read it. I will be contacting the next person in the ring and sending it on ASAP

Sorry for taking soooo long!

Journal Entry 16 by helenhelenhelen on Wednesday, July 29, 2009

just picked this up from the charity shop in san pawl, and am a couple of chapters in.....will update when i've finished it.