corner corner To Say Nothing of the Dog

To Say Nothing of the Dog
by Connie Willis | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by chich of Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, May 16, 2005

status (set by SonnySnail): travelling

1 2 Next

Journal Entry 1 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, May 16, 2005

One of the best books I've read in a long time (along with Jasper Fforde's books)!

It's a "P.G.Wodehouse meets the space-time continuum" sort of book, with great characters (including Cyril the dog and Princess Arjumand the cat, a Victorian maiden, a dignified butler, a psychic not so psychic...), an ingenious plot, lots of humour, and of course, the Bishop's Bird Stump!

This is the first Connie Willis book I read, but it certainly won't be the last:)

Pictured : a porcelain bird stump vase, lovely indeed;)

Book description:
In the 2040s, time traveller Ned Henry has been charged with the unenviable task of helping to recreate old Coventry Cathedral, which was destroyed in the Blitz. He has to search for a bizarre object called the Bishop's Bird Stump, an ornately carved font, which is vital to the recreation of the cathedral. Complications arise when a fellow time traveller, Verity Kindle returns from the Victorian era inadvertently bringing a cat with her (cats are extinct in the 2040s).Ned has to jump back to Victorian times to help her put things right before history is irretrievably altered. Things get even more complicated when a charming but exasperating young Victorian lady called Tossie becomes engaged to the wrong person, and Ned and Verity have to try and get her matched up with the right one. But who is the right one?

Journal Entry 2 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, August 22, 2005

Starting a BookRay, PM me if you want to join!

July 2012 update:
This book has now been travelling for 5 1/2 years, 80 BookCrossers have joined the ray to this day (and counting!) and the book is #40 on BC's 50 most travelled books list! Many many thanks to all those who have participated so far and have made this journey possible :-)

Click here if you want to have a look at this book's journey so far.

Click here to quickly find out where the book is at the moment!

Shipping order for this Ray :
1) Nell-Lu, Scotland
2) StoryChaser, UK
3) katayoun, Iran
4) Hengameh, Iran
5) amberC, Australia
6) hunnyb, Australia
7) caligula03, US (California) --> wants to be skipped/got a copy of her own
8) AngelfireStar, US (Nebraska)
9) Tenneh, US(Nebraska)
10) alanfoxboro, US (Arkansas)
11) BooksnBeer, US (Virginia)
12) well-chilled, US (Alaska), US shipping
13) indygo88, US (Indiana), US or Int'l shipping
14) namedujour, US (Texas), US shipping.
15) efs300, US (New Hampshire), US shipping pref. but int'l ok if needed. --> wants to be skipped, listened to the audio version
16) cinnamon-girl, US (Georgia), US/Canada shipping.

17) cherylllr, US (Nevada), US/Canada shipping.
18) charlenemartel>, Canada (Quebec).--> asked to be skipped
19) NeedSun, Canada (Ontario), US/Canada shipping.
20) mrsgaskell, Canada (Manitoba), US/Canada shipping.
21) GrannyAnn, US (NY), US/Canada shipping.
22) geishabird, Canada (Ontario), can ship anywhere.
23) lauraloo29, Canada (Alberta), can ship anywhere but Canada --> wants to be skipped/got a copy of her own
24) MMPA, Portugal --> not responding to PMs
25) ziggythecat, UK, UK shipping preferred but Euro shipping OK.
27) Nu-Knees, UK, UK shipping preferred but Euro shipping OK.
28) nikel27, Germany, will ship anywhere.
29) gussy916, India, will ship anywhere. --> asked to be skipped
30) snufkin81, South Africa, can ship anywhere.
31) NeedSun, Canada (Ontario), US/Canada shipping.
32) blackadder75, US (Pennsylvania), US/Canada shipping.
33) Erishkigal, US (Utah), US/Canada shipping. --> not responding to PMs
34) pzarks, US (Oregon), can ship anywhere. --> not responding to PMs
35) nancynova, US (Pennsylvania), can ship anywhere.
36) imawinn2, US (Wisconsin), can ship anywhere.
37) Fifna, The Netherlands, Euro shipping.
38) starflash, UK, Euro shipping. --> asked to be skipped
39) Shimmy-crazy, UK, can ship anywhere.
40) AgnesXNitt, UK, EU shipping.
41) Sarahmuh, Sweden, can ship anywhere. --> asked to be skipped.
42) lady-sybil, Australia. --> wants to be skipped/got a copy of her own

[Back to me]

43) BellaMack, Australia, Australia shipping only. --> no longer active
44) ossiefry, Portugal, can ship anywhere.
45) abigailann, UK, UK shipping.
46) Plum-crazy, UK, EU shipping.
47) raeliz64, UK, can ship anywhere.
48) riffraff71, UK, can ship anywhere.
49) azuki, US, US shipping.
50) guinaveve, US, US shipping.
51) bsliv1219, US, can ship anywhere.
52) kimmi, Canada, Canada shipping.
53) darkpunkangel, Canada, can ship anywhere.
54) goldenwattle, Australia, Australia shipping.
55) Lisagt, Australia, Australia shipping preferred but can ship int'l.
56) judygreeneyes, US, can ship anywhere.
57) NMReader, US, US shipping.
58) minesayn, US, US/Canada shipping.
59) oldreader, US, US shipping.
60) iwillrejoice, US, US shipping preferred.

61) SonnySnail, US, can ship anywhere. **current location**
62) helena100, Greece, can ship anywhere.
63) kalise, Austria, EU shipping.
64) mafarrimond, UK, EU shipping.
65) kiyoitsukikage, UK, EU shipping.
66) ReetPetite , UK, can ship anywhere.
67) Simson-Shilitoe, France, EU shipping preferred.
68) penelopewanders, Switzerland, EU shipping preferred.
69) Jotka, Germany, EU shipping preferred.
70) sedna5213, Germany, can ship anywhere.
71) dutch-book, The Netherlands, EU shipping preferred.
72) vedranaster, Croatia, can ship anywhere.
73) VictoriaWagtail, Sweden, can ship anywhere.
74) JennyC1230, US, US shipping.
75) ravencat, US, US/Canada shipping.
76) TinaJean, US, can ship anywhere.
77) kally93, Canada, can ship anywhere.
78) PJLBewdy, Australia, can ship anywhere.
79) sfogs, New Zealand, can ship anywhere.
80) souram, Switzerland, can ship anywhere.
81) vampirequeen, UK, EU shipping.
82) JemmaJ, UK, EU shipping.
83) Lord-Trotsky, UK, can ship anywhere.

As this is a continuing BookRay, please note that the shipping order is subject to change as more people join.

---------------------------------------
BookRay Recommendations:
• make a journal entry when you receive the book so everyone knows it has safely arrived
• try to read it within a month
• ask the next on the list for his/her address
• make a journal entry when finished, telling us what you thought - did you like it? Did you think it was well-written?
• wrap it up well and pass it on to the next participant

Please PM me in case of any problems/unforeseen delay. If you are experiencing an RBC (Reading Backlog Crisis) or no longer wish to read the book, let me know and I will move/remove you down/off the list.

Hint: Ask for the address of the next on the list before you have finished reading; sometimes it takes a while before you get a reply. Some people don't get PM's. You may want to look for an e-mail address on their profile, or leave an ISO message on the forum. If the person doesn't respond within 7-10 days (use your judgement), please PM the next person, and then me, so I can update the bookring list.

**Cheapest postage rate is fine**

Happy reading everyone!

Journal Entry 3 by chich at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 05, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (9/6/2005 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Book sent today to Nell-Lu, enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, September 09, 2005

This arrived in the post this morning - thank you very much, Chich! I like the special bookring bookmark, what a good idea.

I finished a book last night, so will start this one later today. I'm looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 5 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 12, 2005

I read this over the weekend and it was just what I needed after a tough week. It's an entertaining romp, reminiscent of Heinlein's space/time operas (The Cat That Walked Through Walls, Number of the Beast etc.), that uses a time-travel gimmick as an excuse for a comedy of manners. The plot is sufficiently paradoxical to be thought-provoking, but without being too testing. The main characters are likable and make pleasant company. Most of the action takes place in a costume-drama setting that allows amusing situations, embarrassing mix-ups, and a gentle look at the social history of late Nineteenth Century England.

All in all, a good, fun read. I'll look out for Connie Willis' other novels.

Thanks again, Chich, for sharing. I'm just about to go to the Post Office to send this on to StoryChaser.

Journal Entry 6 by StoryChaser from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Received in the post today from Nell-Lu. Thanks. I am looking forward to reading this, just got to finish my current book and I will start right in.

Journal Entry 7 by StoryChaser from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 22, 2005

A thoroughly enjoyable book and very funny in places. I loved the way it was impossible to tell what was going to happen next and then everyting coming together nicely at the end.
Thanks Chich for sharing with us. I will be posting it off to Hengameh tomorrow.

Journal Entry 8 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Saturday, October 15, 2005

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
As this book is on so many people's wishlists, I've decided to make it a Ray instead of a Ring and will try & get more bookcrossers to join;)

Journal Entry 9 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Monday, October 17, 2005

as hengameh got a couple of books to read, i got this and will take it on a short trip and bring it back to hengameh in a month, thanks chich and thanks StoryChaser.
will update as soon as i start reading.

Journal Entry 10 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Tuesday, October 25, 2005

started the book!

Journal Entry 11 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Monday, November 14, 2005

a great book, really fun (though now i will never read moonstone !! :)) it was very different and i loved the end and then the end-end. i loved all and every one of the characters.. wow, this was really good! thanks so much chic and storychaser for giving me the chance to read it. will be seeing hengameh on wednesday and handing over the book to her.

Journal Entry 12 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Friday, November 18, 2005

and handed over to hengameh, thanks

Journal Entry 13 by Hengameh from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Sunday, November 20, 2005

got it from katayoun.

Journal Entry 14 by Hengameh from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Friday, January 20, 2006

i really liked the book. thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 15 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, March 12, 2006

I was very surprised to receive this book today. it arrived faster than books posted in Australia get to me.

one of 13!!! books received today. I will read it ASAP.

Journal Entry 16 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, March 26, 2006

i couldn't put it down. it had me engrossed and laughing out loud. Trying to explain what i was laughing at was difficult to explain tho.

Connie Willis was great at keeping the time periods straight, and what could have been complex very simple to follow. i cared about the characters, she got me involved. There were some surprising twists and the end tied it all up nicely.

I'll be looking out for more books by Connie Willis. Thanks for introducing me to this author chich.

I will post this to hunnyb tomorrow.

Journal Entry 17 by hunnyb from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Received today - this was recommended to me somehow, I don't remember exactly why. Maybe because it is similar to Jasper Fforde? Anyhow, looks great :)

Journal Entry 18 by hunnyb from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, April 17, 2006

A frolicking ride through history filled with twists and turns. There were some classic lines in it (unfortunately none that I can pinpoint now! But that gave me a good laugh on public transport, thus attracting perturbed glances). Ned was such an endearing narrator, I wanted to give him a big hug. And somehow the ending wasn't too cheesy or contrived. Thanks for sharing this, chich!! Caligula03 let me know that she has already got another copy of this book so I'm sending it to Angelfirestar.

Journal Entry 19 by AngelfireStar from Falls City, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, April 25, 2006

TBR

Journal Entry 20 by AngelfireStar from Falls City, Nebraska USA on Monday, July 03, 2006

Took longer than I expected to read. It didn't move to fast but I did start to get into it in the middle of the book.

Loved the ending.

Giving it to tenneh now. Sorry or the delay.

Journal Entry 21 by AngelfireStar at given to another bookcrosser in Verdon, Nebraska USA on Monday, July 03, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (7/2/2006 UTC) at given to another bookcrosser in Verdon, Nebraska USA

given to tenneh. Next on bookring.

Journal Entry 22 by tenneh from Verdon, Nebraska USA on Monday, July 03, 2006

Received today - will get to it as soon as I finish the book I'm on.

I loved this book! Great plot twists and amusing situations! Thanks.

When I started reading this book I noticed there were about 6-8 loose pages in the last half of the book. In reading it several more pages came loose. I am shipping it with a rubber band around it to be sure not to lose the pages.

Journal Entry 23 by tenneh at Controlled Postal Release in Falls City, Nebraska USA on Monday, July 17, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (7/19/2006 UTC) at Controlled Postal Release in Falls City, Nebraska USA

going to alanfoxboro

Journal Entry 24 by alanfoxboro from Searcy, Arkansas USA on Thursday, July 27, 2006

I received this book today in the mail. Thanks to chich for the bookray and to tenneh for sending it on to me. I will read it and post a review ASAP.

Journal Entry 25 by alanfoxboro from Searcy, Arkansas USA on Friday, October 27, 2006

I did not have time to read this as I have had other reading commitments ahead of it. I am sending it on in order not to additionally delay the bookring.

Sent to BooksnBeer in Virginia.

Journal Entry 26 by BooksnBeer from Annandale, Virginia USA on Friday, November 03, 2006

Just received this yesterday. Interesting - I had forgotten it is about time travel. I have two bookrings in front of this but, I will get through them quickly.

Journal Entry 27 by BooksnBeer from Annandale, Virginia USA on Tuesday, November 21, 2006

An O.K book for me. The descriptions of Victorian times were interesting. Some of the characters did start to annoy me a little, a little too whiny for me. Over all I found it a little too long and I would have liked more time travel or maybe a little more writings about the future. I guess I had my mind set on a Science Fiction novel and this really isn’t that.

I have the next person’s address and I will be sending this off to Alaska for the holidays.

Journal Entry 28 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I received a PM from well-chilled this morning in which she confirmed that this book was with her at the moment and that she had finished reading it. She says she will journal & pass it on to the next person ASAP. I'm relieved to know that it didn't get lost in the mail:)

Journal Entry 29 by well-chilled from Eagle River, Alaska USA on Friday, February 02, 2007

It was interesting. I liked some things, not others. The author did a great job making whats her face to be annoying as all get out! Loved Princess Arjumand. Rambled a bit in places, but then I didn't much care for the discussions of how the space/time continuum might or might not be disrupted and all that.
I have had this book entirely too long, for that I apologize. I'll be PM-ing indygo88 for an address directly. Sorry for the wait everyone. ~well-chilled

Journal Entry 30 by wingindygo88wing from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Never fear....it is here! Just received today. I just started another book yesterday, but I plan on making this my next read. Really not sure what to expect from this book, so we'll see.....

Journal Entry 31 by wingindygo88wing from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Sunday, May 27, 2007

I thought it a little slow at first, but after it picked up, I really got interested & couldn't wait to see what happened next. I enjoy books w/ a time travel theme, but those not as heavy on the sci-fi, and this book fit that category well. However, as with most time travel books, I feel like I'm constantly trying to reason things out & make sense of things, and I confuse myself more than anything. I did find parts confusing & thought that some of the details regarding Waterloo were unnecessary, but overall I really enjoyed the book! And I'd read "Three Men in a Boat" just a few months ago, so that fit in nicely. Thank you, chich, for sharing this book! This was my first Connie Willis, but I have "Doomsday Book" coming up quickly in my TBR pile, so hopefully I'll enjoy that one as much as this.

Unfortunately, the book binding continues to deteriorate. I notice that tenneh journaled about this before, but there are now about 50 pages loose from the binding, although they're still all here! I think it's too many to try to tape up, so I'm just keeping them as-is. Everyone will just have to be extra careful w/ the book!

I already have namedujour's mailing address, so I will get this out after the holiday weekend. :')

Journal Entry 32 by namedujour from Tulsa, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Received today - thank you! One book ahead of it. I'm really looking forward to this!

Journal Entry 33 by Cinnamon-Girl from Sharpsburg, Georgia USA on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Received today - thanks chich for starting the ring and everyone who've kept it traveling! You can definitely tell this book has been on a journey, but I will treat it gently so that it can continue on its way when I'm done with it, hopefully soon!

Journal Entry 34 by Cinnamon-Girl from Sharpsburg, Georgia USA on Thursday, October 25, 2007

Life's been very busy lately so I haven't had a chance to finish reading this book, and since I've had it awhile, I figure it's best to keep the book moving and I'll pick up another copy sometime in the future when I have more time to read it. Thanks for allowing me to be part of the ring and sorry to have held it up.

Mailing off to cheryllr by Monday ...

Journal Entry 35 by wingcherylllrwing from Carson City, Nevada USA on Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Thank you! (I also love your creative bookmark and return address label. :)
I'm excited to read this - it says hilarious and implies intelligent on the cover, which is exactly what I need right now.
Update: couldn't get into it, not sure why, will send it off as soon as I get an address, thanks for letting me try it though. I too have Dooomsday Book and still hope to enjoy that.

Journal Entry 36 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

This arrived yesterday. Thank you so much. I will try to get it back into the mail in 4 or 5 weeks.

Journal Entry 37 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Friday, April 11, 2008

Mailed yesterday. Sorry for delaying this bookray.

Journal Entry 38 by wingCJL-230711wing on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Arrived safely in today's mail - thanks for sending it along, NeedSun. I have a few books ahead of it but shouldn't take me too long - I've been really looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 39 by wingCJL-230711wing on Tuesday, April 29, 2008

This Victorian romp with its mix of time-travel, mystery, and romance was frequently amusing but overly long and somewhat repetitious. I found it dragged in parts when I had figured things out well before the main characters did. Overall, I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as I’d hoped to – I personally think The Doomsday Book is much better.

Thanks for sharing Chich. I have GrannyAnn's address and will be mailing this within a few days.

Journal Entry 40 by wingCJL-230711wing on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mailed to GrannyAnn today.

Journal Entry 41 by GrannyAnn from West Henrietta, New York USA on Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Received in the mail today. I have one ahead of it (halfway done) and then To Say Nothing of the Dog is next.

Thanks for hosting, chich!

Journal Entry 42 by GrannyAnn from West Henrietta, New York USA on Monday, June 02, 2008

Loved it! What a combination - time travel, romance and a comedy of manners, along with the chance that the entire continuum would come to a messy end. There were many times that I laughed out loud. What's not to love??

New copy (the original was falling apart) was sent to geishabird on Sat. I hope it continues on its travels around the world. Thanks, chich, for sharing.

Journal Entry 43 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 06, 2008

The shiny new copy has reached me safely. Looking forward to the read! Sounds like a fun book.

Journal Entry 44 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 28, 2008

This was a fun read. I'm always very impressed with writers who can pull off a time travel story; there are so many bits and pieces to consider! I found that Willis did a pretty good job. Like some others have noted, I did find the book a bit repetitious and longwinded at times and the characters somewhat static, and sometimes the narrative got just a bit too cute for its own good...but it was still a pretty entertaining story. I liked all the discussions about incongruities and idea of a self-correcting space-time continuum...but I won't go into details, I don't want to ruin the plot for future readers. I found the bits about the Battle of Waterloo simulations quite clever. Some fun ideas in here, although sometimes Willis let her characters talk too much and the story meandered a bit. Slippage. :)

For those interested in stories involving time travel and/or attempting to alter the past, I recommend Stephen Fry's Making History, which I found rather an interesting variation on the idea.

Am just waiting on MMPA's address and will then send the book off as soon as I can. Thanks very much for sharing it.

UPDATE: Unable to get a response from MMPA; have contacted ziggythecat and hope to be able to send the book on soon.

UPDATE 2: Hurrah, I have ziggy's address and will be sending it off shortly.

Journal Entry 45 by ziggythecat from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 06, 2008

It is here, sorry if you were worried about it. Gone straight to the top of the TBR pile so no more delays ;o)

Journal Entry 46 by ziggythecat from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Thanks, really enjoyed reading this one.

Off to Nu-knees today

Journal Entry 47 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 22, 2008

Thank you very much, ziggythecat - it was lovely to find this cheering-up book through the letterbox when I got back from a stressful pre-Christmas food-shopping trip this morning! And thank you to everyone else who's kept it moving for over three years! What fun! I'm delighted to join such a long chain of readers :-) With all the excitement of the holiday season coming up I can't guarantee how soon I'll get started on this but promise to move it on as soon in the New Year as possible. I loved The Doomsday Book and have great hopes of this one as well :-)

Journal Entry 48 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 29, 2008

I enjoyed that! I expected to - and I did! Great fun! I think I may have been a bit lost in the first few chapters if I hadn't already been familiar with the Net and its terminology from The Doomsday Book, which seemed to be assumed rather than explained this time around, but that's a minor niggle.

Thank you again, chich and ziggythecat, for including me in this Ray and posting it to Knaresborough. I already have nickel27's address so will send it on its way in a day or so.

Journal Entry 49 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (12/31/2008 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Now in the hands of the Royal Mail on its way to Germany! Safe journey, little book!

Journal Entry 50 by nikel27 from Ginsheim-Gustavsburg, Hessen Germany on Monday, January 19, 2009

arrived safe at my house, 1 more bookring to read and I will start here.

update:
Good read, thanks for sharing with me
(asked for the next members address)

29) gussy916, India, want to be skipped for now.
30) snufkin81, South Africa, can ship anywhere.

Journal Entry 51 by nikel27 at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 09, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (2/12/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

EnJoy the book as I did.

Journal Entry 52 by snufkin81 from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Monday, February 23, 2009

This arrived today. Thanks, nickel27 and chich!

I have a few other bookrings with me now, but I'll read this and pass it on as soon as I can.

Update 7 April: I'm about two thirds through now and have already PMed the next reader on the list.

Journal Entry 53 by snufkin81 from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, April 10, 2009

Sorry for keeping this so long! I finished it yesterday.

This was a really fun read. I did get a bit annoyed with the repetitiveness and inconsistencies (and it didn't help that I read quite a negative article about it when I was still at the beginning), but on the whole it was very entertaining. I loved Ned and Verity, and sympathised with Baine and poor Cyril. I now want to read Three Men in a Boat, The Moonstone (despite having the ending ruined) and as much Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers as I can find!

Unfortunately this copy is also starting to fall apart now. There is a break in the spine at page 170. I might try to glue it a bit before I send it on.

I already have Needsun's address so I'll send this on next week.

Journal Entry 54 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Friday, April 24, 2009

This arrived today. Thanks so much, I will be reading it next.

Journal Entry 55 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 10, 2009

Well, I got to page 100 and decided this book was not for me. I can see how this humor is right up some people's alley but not mine. It reminds me of Monty Python who the rest of my family love and I just don't get.

I have already PMed blackadder75 to get their address.

Thanks so much for giving me two chances to read this book!

Journal Entry 56 by blackadder75 from Lebanon, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, June 22, 2009

I got this book today. I will be reading it next.

Journal Entry 57 by blackadder75 from Lebanon, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, June 26, 2009

To Say Nothing of the dog is the story of Ned Henry, a 21st century time traveller, who's mission it is is to recover the famous bishop's bird stump from the Coventry Cathedral before it's bombed in 1940. Henry's search leads him to Victorian England with a fellow time traveler, Verity Kindle, to fix the past.

I really enjoyed this book, it was fun, amusing and easy to read. Willis does a great job making time travel seem logical and even an everyday occurance in the 21st century. I will be contacting the next in line for their address and get the book out soon.

Journal Entry 58 by blackadder75 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (8/3/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent off in yesterday's mail.

Journal Entry 59 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Got this in the mail today. Adding to the "rays to be read" pile. I'm on vacation next week - Readathon time!

Journal Entry 60 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Starting this book next. PM'g the next person in line, so the envelope will be ready to mail as soon as I'm done the book!

Journal Entry 61 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Finished the book - it was hilarious, as long as you suspend belief in time travel and all that! The protagonists hunt for the "bishops bird stump", which turns out to be probably the most ugly artifact imaginable, and all the scrapes they get into just kept me guessing.

Life got in the way, so took me longer to finish than anticipated. Will be posting to the next person on the ray tomorrow - from Florida (where I'm fixing up the "house that didn't sell").

Journal Entry 62 by wingNancyNovawing at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, September 19, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (9/19/2009 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

On it's way to the next reader! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 63 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, September 24, 2009

The book arrived safe and sound. Its timing was impeccable! I just finished Orwell's 1984 and was trying to figure out what to pick up next. My decision was made today when I went to retrieve the mail from our mailbox. Yes! I have been looking forward to reading this story. A funny one will do me good after such a serious fic as 1984.

Also, thanks nancynova for the postcard of Philly and the recipes. The picture of the steak makes my mouth water. Mmmmm!

Journal Entry 64 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, October 25, 2009

What a fantastic and funny story. I'm sitting here wondering what kind of mind Connie Willis must have to pull this story off so brilliantly. My head is still swimming with all the continuum corrections and how saving a cat can cause so much "hoo-doo"... to say nothing of the dog. ;-)

I have Fifna's address and mailing envelope is ready for the post office. I should be able to get the book mailed off in the next day or so.

Journal Entry 65 by imawinn2 at Grand Chute, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (10/27/2009 UTC) at Grand Chute, Wisconsin USA

Book is on its way to Fifna. I mailed it on Tuesday afternoon. Happy Travels! Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 66 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Arrived safely today, thank you imawinn2!

Journal Entry 67 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, December 04, 2009

I loved Doomsday Book, and this one didn't disappoint. It had me laughing out loud a lot! It helped to have had things explained a bit in Doomsday Book - how the net works etc. The characters were all great and most were likeable and they just get into so many scrapes! And the plot kept me guessing sufficiently too. Thanks for sharing, chich, great book!
starflash has asked to be skipped, so I now have Shimmy-crazy's address and will send it on asap.

Journal Entry 68 by wingFifnawing at East Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, December 07, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (12/7/2009 UTC) at East Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom

Sent on its way to Shimmy-crazy!

Journal Entry 69 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 16, 2009

arrived, am looking foward to it

Journal Entry 70 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 12, 2010

loved this one, had just finished reading doomsday book which is set in the same reality and really enjoyed that. This one has a quite different feel to it, much more light-hearted and I thoroughly enjoyed it for quite different reasons.

Posted on to AgnesXNitt today (12/03/10)

Journal Entry 71 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Received yesterday in the post. Just got to finish a library book and polish off 'In Her Shoes' (relaxing fluffy reads after a bit of an magnum opus) and then I'm all over it. Like a rash. But in a good way.
Thanks for posting this on Shimmy-Crazy, and thanks again to Chich for shoehorning me in on the listing at the last minute.
Ta Muchly!

Journal Entry 72 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 26, 2010

Well Good Lord. I don't think Time Travel has ever been so reader inclusive! After all those leaps/drops/journeys all to track down the legendary Bishop's Bird Stump from the original Coventry (aka 'Cov' to one of my erstwhile colleagues who hailed from there!) Cathedral I didn't quite know half the time whether I was on my head or my heels.
Still, Poor old Ned, time lagged and exhausted after trawling through more Jumble Sales than any man ought to be asked to do so, ends up on a confused mission back in Victorian England somewhere around 1880. When he ends up in the company of an Oxford undergraduate straight out of a P.G. Wodehouse novel, a bulldog called Cyril and a University Don obsessed with minutae of world events and fishing, little can Ned realise his troubles are only just beginning.
Perfectly cast Victorian Mama's, Retired Colonial Military Fathers, Dodgy Spiritualists and Unexpected and Accidental messing with the Space Time Continnuum that could reverse the outcome of WW2, I revelled in the details and madcap happenings.
Favourite characters - well, Cyril - *obviously*! Ned comes a close second for the person you'd most like to take home for a cup of tea and a sit down at the end of the novel.
Most Punchable Character - Grrrr - do you know I can't bear to say her name!! The spoilt daughter who is so self centred, its a marvel the gyroscope wasn't named after her!! And that damned cat!!
I loved the way that Ned and his colleague is hilarious delayed disaster, Verity, got 'Three Men in a Boat', Agatha Christie, Lord Peter Wimsey, Burberry mackintoshes and the Battle of Waterloo all mentioned in the plot which only then added to the solving of the whereabouts of the BBS which frankly sounds hideous!!
Many thanks to Chich for hosting this one, I will PM Sarahmuh immediately so this one can keep moving.

Journal Entry 73 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 03, 2010

Sarahmuh asked to be skipped, so this one is going back to Chich for her to send out to BellaMack, or whoever is next on the list.
Posted today from Huntingdon Post Office to catch the midday post, with a little something enclosed for Chich to enjoy post-Easter :)

Journal Entry 74 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

This book made it safely home today, many thanks AgnessXNitt (and for the lovely Easter card too!). This is indeed a well deserved pit-stop for 'To say nothing of the dog', after five years of an intensive journey across three continents! ;-)

A few more people have joined the ray so the journey shall be resumed in a few days:)

Journal Entry 75 by chich at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (4/8/2010 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Book sent to ossiefry today, enjoy! :-)

Journal Entry 76 by Ossiefry from Aljezur, Faro Portugal on Monday, April 12, 2010

Just received the book! Thanks!
Will start reading it in a few days time.

Journal Entry 77 by Ossiefry at Sent to the Next BCer, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 20, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (5/19/2010 UTC) at Sent to the Next BCer, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Definitely not a book to start whilst suffering from lack of sleep! Really enjoyed it once I managed to get into it... Loved the way it all fitted in at the end.
Now on Its way to the UK!

Journal Entry 78 by abigailann from Abingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 21, 2010

Just received.

Will put on my TBR pile and read it asap.

Journal Entry 79 by abigailann at Abingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 03, 2010

Truly enthralling, this is a tale of dogs, cats, rivers, love and unexpected consequences. I found it both thought-provoking and entertaining. The characters of Henry and Verity were well-rounded, whilst others were hilarious or simply added to the events in a silent but meaningful fashion. A book that I would like to own someday, so that I can read it again and again

Journal Entry 80 by abigailann at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, June 12, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (6/12/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Popped in the post yesterday

Journal Entry 81 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 13, 2010

Book has arrived safely -thanks! Hope to start it in next week or so & will Pm next on list now :o)

Journal Entry 82 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

An amusing read indeed....reminded me very much of the farces that our local am-dram group used to be so good at - though this of course had the twist of being a time-travel tale as well a comedy of manners!
I did find some of the explanations of incongruities & slippage a bit confusing at times but instead of trying to get my head round it I just carried on enjoying the tale! All the characters were entertaining, very easy to visualise & their antics certainly raised a few chuckles while reading.
I will have to have a trip to Coventry Cathedral sometime - & read "Three Men in a Boat"!

Read as part of the 2010 ULTIMATE CHALLENGE

Journal Entry 83 by wingPlum-crazywing at by post, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (6/23/2010 UTC) at by post, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to raeliz64.....

Released as part of the 2010 ULTIMATE CHALLENGE

Journal Entry 84 by wingraeliz64wing at Anstey, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, June 25, 2010

Received today. Thanks very much :-)

Journal Entry 85 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 21, 2010

It took me a while to get into this, but when I did I enjoyed it. Very amusing in places and I found how things managed to right themselves whatever the characters did fascinating.

Journal Entry 86 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Posting on to riffraff71 today.

Journal Entry 87 by riffraff71 at Benfleet, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, August 05, 2010

Thanks for sending this book.I'm going to start it tonight,sounds like it should be a good read :)

Journal Entry 88 by riffraff71 at Benfleet, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sorry I was a bit slow reading this,the kids holidays really get in the way lol.I found this book a funny and entertaining read.Thanks for including me,have pmed next on the list and will get it off as soon as I have the addy.

Journal Entry 89 by riffraff71 at Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, August 28, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (8/28/2010 UTC) at Miami, Florida USA

Sending this book on to the USA now.Enjoy x

Journal Entry 90 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, September 15, 2010

This well travelled book has made it back to the U.S.!
I need to read up a few books for a bookbox before I can start on this but will keep moving it on as soon as I can.

ETA: Oct 15 - I am almost halfway through the book. Will continue reading and update when finished.

Journal Entry 91 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

First off, sorry it has taken me so long to read it, but there are days I take it with me to work and didn't get to open it at all, and the complex plot doesn't let me skimp the text easily.

While I enjoy the plot and its many funny moments, the technicality part is a bit over my head. Also I get a feeling that I am missing out some of the historical and literary reference which would have made me appreciate more the book's brilliancy.

I have the next person's address already so this will go out some time this week.

Journal Entry 92 by guinaveve at Mason, Ohio USA on Sunday, November 07, 2010

This came in the mail today, just in time as I had just finished my current read. I am going to PM the next participant, so I have the address and start this immediately.
Thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 93 by guinaveve at Mason, Ohio USA on Saturday, November 20, 2010

I am excited to be part of such a well traveled book. I love getting a hold of them and reading all of the past journal entries.
I don't read sci-fi very often, but when I do, this is just what I look for in it. I don't enjoy messy war descriptions and futuristic battles, but I am interested in writers' ideas about time travel travel- the effects it would have on the past and the future and in the lives of individuals.
I will say, I knew all along who Mr. C was. I thought it was obvious, and I wish it hadn't been because it would have made a great surprise.
I enjoyed reading about Cyril the dog and Princess Arjumand the cat. The were fun characters just like all of the rest.
I have this book packed up and addressed to ship out Monday to the next participant.
Thanks for including me.

extra FYI- This book is still in readable condition, but is getting rough and might start shedding pages soon. It may make it through the 5 readers listed after me if handled with care.

Journal Entry 94 by guinaveve at Post Office in Sent by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 20, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (11/22/2010 UTC) at Post Office in Sent by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Thanks and enjoy!

Journal Entry 95 by bsliv1219 at Fremont, Ohio USA on Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I received the book in today's mail. Thanks for including me. It's next on the list.

Journal Entry 96 by bsliv1219 at Fremont, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I am sending this book on to the next reader. I have ordered Three Men in a Boat and want to read it first.

Enjoy kimmi.

Journal Entry 97 by Kimmi at Kelowna, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, February 05, 2011

This arrived in my mailbox along with three other books today! WOW! I will get to it first after reading the last of my Canada Reads selections which must be finished by Monday for the debate.

I can't believe this book has been travelling for so long. Yay bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 98 by Kimmi at Kelowna, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thank you for letting me keep this book for longer than a month! I travelled with it to Uganda and back. It was a great tome to keep me busy on my 60 hours of travel time in total.

I have PMed the next reader and will get the book on its way as soon as I have the address.

Journal Entry 99 by darkpunkangel at Barrie, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 04, 2011

This book has arrived safe and sound. Thanks chich for starting this bookray and kimmi for pass this book on to me. I'll try to finish this book as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 100 by darkpunkangel at Barrie, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 03, 2012

Sorry for holding on to this book for so long, I've been out of the country for the last 9 months and this book got accidentally left behind.

I tried reading it but I couldn't get into the book so I will pass it along to goldenwattle when I get their address.

1 2 Next