corner corner William Golding's Lord of the Flies (Casebook Edition Text Notes and Criticism)

William Golding's Lord of the Flies (Casebook Edition Text Notes and Criticism)
by William Golding | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingk00kaburrawing of San Jose, California USA on Sunday, May 15, 2005

status (set by jkrazo): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Sunday, May 15, 2005

This is book no. 508 on the "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" list.

Amazon: William Golding's classic tale about a group of English schoolboys who are plane-wrecked on a deserted island is just as chilling and relevant today as when it was first published in 1954. At first, the stranded boys cooperate, attempting to gather food, make shelters, and maintain signal fires. Overseeing their efforts are Ralph, "the boy with fair hair," and Piggy, Ralph's chubby, wisdom-dispensing sidekick whose thick spectacles come in handy for lighting fires. Although Ralph tries to impose order and delegate responsibility, there are many in their number who would rather swim, play, or hunt the island's wild pig population. Soon Ralph's rules are being ignored or challenged outright. His fiercest antagonist is Jack, the redheaded leader of the pig hunters, who manages to lure away many of the boys to join his band of painted savages. The situation deteriorates as the trappings of civilization continue to fall away, until Ralph discovers that instead of being hunters, he and Piggy have become the hunted: "He forgot his words, his hunger and thirst, and became fear; hopeless fear on flying feet." Golding's gripping novel explores the boundary between human reason and animal instinct, all on the brutal playing field of adolescent competition.

Journal Entry 2 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Friday, April 07, 2006

I noticed that several people have this on their wish list so I am taking it out of my permanant collection for a few months so it can circle round the country. :) This is most definitely a book ring - I want the book back when the last person finishes reading.

- bartonz - WA
- pileofphrases - OK
- maatkare - Mass
- dg7500 - PA
- phactcapella - FL
- shorn602 - FL

Journal Entry 3 by wingk00kaburrawing at Mailed out in Snail Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (4/18/2006 UTC) at Mailed out in Snail Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailing out to bartonz today. The book ring has begun!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbartonzwing from Bellevue, Washington USA on Friday, April 21, 2006

I just got it in the mail and will start it tonight

Journal Entry 5 by wingbartonzwing from Bellevue, Washington USA on Wednesday, May 24, 2006

This was surprisingly easy to read once I got into it. I really appreciated the interview with the author as well as the other critiques and summaries.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbartonzwing from Bellevue, Washington USA on Saturday, May 27, 2006

It's in the mail to PileofPhrases!

Journal Entry 7 by pileofphrases from Tulsa, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, June 01, 2006

Just recieved in the mail from bartonz. I haven't read Lord of the Flies since high school, twenty years ago, and am anxious to read it again. I am curious to find whether it speaks differently to me than it did when I was younger and more idealistic. I will start reading tonight. When I finish it will be off to maatkare. :-) Thanks for sharing, k00kaburra!

Journal Entry 8 by pileofphrases from Tulsa, Oklahoma USA on Monday, June 26, 2006

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and sent it out to Maatkare on June 13 by media mail. Thanks for including me in this bookring! (Sorry it took me so long to post, I twisted my ankle a week and a half ago, and have been laid up for a while.)

Happy Reading!

pileofphrases :-)

Journal Entry 9 by maatkare from Easthampton, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, August 09, 2006

it's here! Sorry I didn't log it in. Been super busy, and just can't get into the book. Going to send it on it's way ASAP.

Journal Entry 10 by dg7500 from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Arrived safely in today's mail. I'm working on finishing another book at the moment, but hope to get started on this one by the weekend. I don't recall ever reading this one in school...as impossible as that seems...so I'm looking forward to seeing what I've missed all these years.

Journal Entry 11 by dg7500 at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (9/27/2006 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Moving along to the next in line. Enjoy!

******************
11/9: PM'd phactcapella for mailing information (misplaced/deleted it after mailing off the book), so I can submit a "Lost Mail" form to the Post Office.
11/28: sent phactcapella a second PM asking for follow-up information on the book

Journal Entry 12 by jkrazo from Orange Park, Florida USA on Monday, January 29, 2007

Just received this in my mailbox a week ago. I had forgotten all about it and haven't visited here in a while. Will send it along within the next few days.