corner corner The Kite Runner - Bookring

The Kite Runner - Bookring
by Khaled Hosseini | Literature & Fiction
Registered by fizzfred of Sacramento, California USA on 5/12/2005

status (set by fflloorr): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Thursday, May 12, 2005

I have not quite finished reading this but it is really good. Here is the editorial review from Amazon...
"In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.

The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon." --Gisele Toueg

Journal Entry 2 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Thursday, May 12, 2005

I seem to have popular rings for the books my book club reads each month. This one is no exception.
Lucinda (CA)*
glade1 (NC)
fizzfred (CA)*
- has it now
Virgulina (Portugal)*
back to me, fizzfred (CA)

After you make a journal entry here saying you received the book, PM the next person on the list to get their address. I will post where the book is in this journal entry. Please, try to read it within a month of receiving it. And, enjoy!

* Will ship internationally.

Journal Entry 3 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I sent this to Lucinda today to start the ring. I inclosed a bookmark for everyone. Please take one and pass the rest on with the book.

Journal Entry 4 by Lucinda from Ventura, California USA on Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Just received from Fizzfred. Will start this weekend. Thanks, Fizzfred, for the bookmark and lovely labelling!

Journal Entry 5 by Lucinda from Ventura, California USA on Wednesday, June 15, 2005

It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. There were a few things that bothered me (i'm afraid to give more details so as not to give away plot lines) that I don't know if were specific to Afghani culture or just the way the book was written. But I did find it a compelling read.

Sent off on Monday to its next stop. Thanks, Fizzfred!

Journal Entry 6 by gkonkler5 from Casper, Wyoming USA on Monday, June 20, 2005

Received this today. Should be able to get started on it this week.

Journal Entry 7 by gkonkler5 from Casper, Wyoming USA on Monday, July 11, 2005

This was a great story! I'm so glad to have had the chance to read it. Thanks for sharing.

Sent out today to GrannyAnn.

Journal Entry 8 by GrannyAnn from West Henrietta, New York USA on Thursday, July 14, 2005

Hi,all. I just received the book. I am almost finished with another book and I'll start when I'm done.

Journal Entry 9 by GrannyAnn from West Henrietta, New York USA on Saturday, July 23, 2005

When I started this bokk, I wasn't sure that I would finish. It wasn't that it was not written well but I really didn't like the main character, Amir. But I was very glad I stuck with it. This is really quite an amazing book. I learned a lot about Afgan culture and was inspired at the end.
Now it's off to FortyToo. Thanks, fizzfred, for letting me have the opportunity to read it.

Journal Entry 10 by FortyToo from Westfield, New Jersey USA on Thursday, August 04, 2005

Arrived safe and sound today. I've been looking forward to reading this.

Will start tonight :)

Journal Entry 11 by FortyToo from Westfield, New Jersey USA on Sunday, August 14, 2005

I really liked this book. I finished it over a week ago, and am still thinking about it...

On its way to Canada this morning--should be there in a couple of days.

Thanks for sharing this, fizzfred!

Journal Entry 12 by honey1982 from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Well that was quick. I will just finish reading The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella and start this tomorrow. Great bookmark. Thanks!

Journal Entry 13 by honey1982 from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 24, 2005

One of the best I've read this year. I loved this book. I have many favourite heart wrenching lines that I wish I could list here, but I fear that it might give away the book. Thanks so much for sharing. I will be going to the post office tonight.

Journal Entry 14 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Thursday, September 01, 2005

Came in today's mail, and I was happy to see it! (I've been cutting down on bookrings and trades lately, so getting a book in the mail has become a rare and exciting event.)

The postcards are terrific; I will pass them along (even the one addressed to me; that is such a fabulous picture of the Peace Tower and Mountie that it needs to be shared!

Journal Entry 15 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 25, 2005

I thought the descriptive passages were wonderful; made me feel like I was right there in Kabul, Peshawar, and San Francisco. It was interesting to learn about the Pashtuns' prejudice against Hazaras. I never knew anything about that before.

The kite tournament kept my excitement level high, and so did the life or death happenings towards the end of the book.

My biggest quibble is that the villain, Assef, was a totally stereotyped, cardboard character. He reminded me of one of those ridiculously overblown Nazis in Ira Levin's The Boys From Brazil.

I was disappointed in Sohrab, too (the real Sohrab, not the mythical hero). He started out great, but then he wimped out. The ending left me hoping for a sequel.

There wasn't anything biographical about Hosseini mentioned; I will have to "google" him.

I goofed and PM'd glade1 for his/her address since that was the order on the bookmark (lots of nice bookmarks came with this book, btw) but now that I read the first journal entry here I see I should PM BoosterJ28!

Hoping to hear from him/her and mail the book by Wednesday!

Journal Entry 16 by JillyEnFuego from Coconut Creek, Florida USA on Friday, October 07, 2005

Received from Megi53 and I cannot wait to start reading it!
Just as soon as I am done with Empire Falls.

Maybe I will use this as an excuse to see jillmari3, so I can hand it off to her personally instead of trusting the mail...we'll have a coffee date instead!

Journal Entry 17 by JillyEnFuego from Coconut Creek, Florida USA on Monday, October 17, 2005

I spent three lovely, lazy days in bed, reading. So I finished this rather quickly.

This is one of those rare, beautiful books that really draws you in. I found it to be quite educational (I really knew almost nothing of the country's history) and touching, without ever being morbid or depressing.

I just PM'd Miz JillMari to find out how I should get the book to her.

Journal Entry 18 by JillyEnFuego from Coconut Creek, Florida USA on Thursday, January 05, 2006

Ahhh, where have the last 2 1/2 months gone? Hmm

I know! I

Hurricane Wilma Windy
...then Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Dinner
...then the holidays MenorahXmas LightsHat 1
...and now, I finally mail the book to jillmari3. Delivery

I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.
Love And Kisses

Journal Entry 19 by jillmari3 from Lake Worth, Florida USA on Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sorry, took me a few days to journal receiving this -- can't wait to read it!

~ Jillmari3

Journal Entry 20 by jillmari3 from Lake Worth, Florida USA on Thursday, March 16, 2006

I am sorry I kept the book so long .. I will pass it on to Pashmack today (meeting her for lunch :)), she is next on the bookmark list that came in the book. I am also adding a Florida Butterfly World bookmark to the nice collection inside . .

(No, I haven't read it if you were wondering -- will check out from the library -- school go the better of me this semester, and I bit off more than I could chew -- sorry! ): )

Journal Entry 21 by pashmack from Lake Worth, Florida USA on Thursday, May 18, 2006

Received the book today from jillmari3. Hand-to-hand bookcrossing - what fun! I'll get busy reading this as soon as I finish my current read, also a bookring.

Journal Entry 22 by pashmack from Lake Worth, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Wow. This was a very absorbing story. At times things seemed a bit contrived; so many things just happened to come full circle. But this adds to the charm of the story. Being married to an Iranian, I am very familiar with Farsi, and with the Persian literature mentioned in the book. This made the story even more real and personal for me. It was such an intense read, so haunting and deeply moving- it's a bit difficult to compose a journal entry as I sit and think about what I've read. I'm glad I got a chance to read it, and will probably reread it one day. Thank you, fizzfred, for sharing. The book will be mailed to glade1 later this afternoon.
---------

Mailed on 5/30/06
Delivery Confirmation # 0306 0320 0005 5052 9657

Oops!- I forgot about all of the postcards inside and told the postal clerk "media mail". It's just such a habit. I remembered the cards several hours later :-( Oh well...

Journal Entry 23 by wingglade1wing from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Saturday, June 03, 2006

Received in the mail today. I have a few rings ahead of it but I'm reading as fast as I can...

Journal Entry 24 by wingglade1wing from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Friday, June 30, 2006

This is a disturbing, touching, and ultimately hopeful story. I found myself near tears at the end. It's interesting that BC karma had me reading The Bookseller of Kabul last week, so I have had a double dose of Afghanistan. The Bookseller includes a list of the sixteen decrees the Taliban made when they took over, and one of them included a ban on kite flying. I didn't understand that until I read this book. Kite flying in Afghanistan is very different from just running down the beach watching the wind blow a pretty piece of fabric!

I found myself wanting to slap Amir at key points during the story, but a small voice inside me kept doubting that I would have behaved any more courageously. At least Amir recognized his cowardice and felt shame. As one character points out, it's the people who do things and have no conscience about them who are truly bad. Thank God I have never been faced with the situations Amir encountered.

I believe this book is well worth all the wonderful word of mouth it has received and I would highly recommend it to other readers. Thank you, fizzfred, for sharing it with us. I have PMed you for an address so I can get The Kite Runner back to you.

Update 7-10-06: Mailed today via media mail. Delivery confirmation #: 0306 1070 0000 2586 9801.

Journal Entry 25 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Monday, July 17, 2006

The book returned home today. I will send it to Virgulina in Portugal as soon as I get an address. Thanks so much for all the wonderful post cards!!! I have never received anything back with a ring. I love them and so do my children. Thank you, thank you!

Journal Entry 26 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Friday, August 04, 2006

Finally sent to Virgulina today. Sorry it took so long. I've just been so busy with vacation, family illness, and entertaining the kids for the summer. :) When you finish, please send it back to me. Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 27 by usedtobe on Friday, November 17, 2006

And it's finally here! After 3 months of travelling it arrived safe and sound. Thanks for sending this fizzfred! :o)

Journal Entry 28 by usedtobe on Friday, December 15, 2006

I finished this last night and have to say it was a wonderful read, the ending left me with tears in my eyes, it was so beautiful!
I didn't know much about Afghanistan's history, so it was educational as well as entertaining. Kite running must have been beautiful, I had no idea it was so important for them, before I started reading I always wondered about the title, now I know what it means.
Amir wasn't a very likable character, much like his father, but I can understand why he acted the way he did the first time. Sometimes it isn't easy standing up to bullies, especially when you're a kid! But I guess he learned his lesson and changed a bit in the end.
I don't want to spoil the story for anyone else, so I recommend that you read it and believe me you won't be disappointed! :o)

Journal Entry 29 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, January 01, 2007

The book is now with me. Thanks Fizzfred for letting me participate in this ring at the last minute. I'll read it asap and send it back to you.
Thanks Virgulina for passing me the book.
Happy New Year everyone :)

I loved this book. This year started really good :)

Journal Entry 30 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, July 16, 2007

Fizzfred haven't you received the book yet? I've sent it to you a long time ago.