corner corner The Tao of Pooh

The Tao of Pooh
by Benjamin Hoff | Nonfiction
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Centreville, Virginia USA on 5/1/2005

status (set by happystorysiggy): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, May 01, 2005

I thought about keeping this but realized I wasn't going to read it again. Here's the review I wrote on November 20, 2004:

The timing of this read was intentional. Mired in the chaos of NaNoWriMo, I knew I would need something that was not only calming, but nonfiction. There are those who prefer to read fiction to inspire or comfort them while in the midst of a major writing project, but I knew that it would be distracting - I'd either get caught up in the storyline (and forget where I was going with mine) or the writing style would serve as a constant reminder of what tripe I was producing. A gentle philosophy book starring a Bear of Little Brain seemed to be just what I was looking for.

And in that respect, it was. However, I was not so impressed with the ideas presented in this book. It seemed to spend too much time explaining why Confucianism (which it consistently referred to as "Confusion"), Knowledge, and Cleverness were not the correct paths in life. I disagree; I believe that everything has its proper place. Perhaps we put too much emphasis on the latter two, but shunning them completely is not the answer. Things do not magically fall into place by doing Nothing all the time. Trust me, I've tried it. It's relaxing, to be sure, until things start falling apart and suddenly you have to become a "Busy Backson" to catch up.

This was not a bad book, to be sure, and I am open to the possibility that I missed the point entirely. It was light and fun and in fact quite Clever. Its biggest benefit, however, was to instill in me a desire to read the A. A. Milne tales that inspired Hoff to write this book in the first place.

Registered in Springfield, Virginia, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Thursday, June 09, 2005

I'm planning on releasing this in Delaware this coming Saturday.

Edit: Bah, it so didn't happen. I'll release it somewhere around here ASAP. I promise.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing at St. Elmo's Coffee Pub in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (6/14/2005 UTC) at St. Elmo's Coffee Pub in Alexandria, Virginia USA

I am taking this to the Bookcrossers on the Potomac meetup tonight. If nobody claims it, it will go on the bookshelves across from the cash registers.

Journal Entry 4 by happystorysiggy from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I was at a coffee shop where I found the book on a bookshelf. The bookshelf contains books which people leave for other people to take and to read. I took it on vacation to Rhode Island with me. I had planned to leave it on a similar bookshelf there; however, I didn't get to finish it. So I am returning it to the same bookshop where I picked it up.

CAUGHT IN ALEXANDRIA VA USA