corner corner The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald | Entertainment
Registered by rgbisme of State College, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, April 22, 2005

status (set by spy-there): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by rgbisme from State College, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, April 22, 2005

Classic, A friend is moving out of state and asked me to release these for him.

Journal Entry 2 by rgbisme at Stone Soup Market,1011 E. College Ave. OBCZ in State College, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, April 23, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (4/23/2005 UTC) at Stone Soup Market,1011 E. College Ave. OBCZ in State College, Pennsylvania USA

On Bookshelf.

Journal Entry 3 by LyekkaMarengo from Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, June 27, 2005

Taken off shelf to make room. I'll be sending this out on a bookray. Current list below:

1. WildcatSong - Kentucky - USA - received 07/01/2005
2. back to LyekkaMarengo to be mailed to

3. RoryG - Finland - RECEIVED 11/17/2005

4. nice-cup-of-tea - Switzerland - to do whatever with

Journal Entry 4 by WildcatSong from New Haven, Kentucky USA on Friday, July 01, 2005

Received today...thank you for contacting me for this bookray! I'll be reading it as soon as I finish the book I'm currently reading (which will be soon).

Journal Entry 5 by WildcatSong from New Haven, Kentucky USA on Sunday, October 09, 2005

One of the better classics, in my opinion. It's worth reading at least once.

Will be mailing back to LyekkaMarengo tomorrow.
Thanks for letting me participate.

Journal Entry 6 by LyekkaMarengo from Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Received save and sound in PA. Will be going out to RoryG in Finland once I get an address.

Journal Entry 7 by LyekkaMarengo from Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Moving on to RoryG in Helsinki, Finland

Journal Entry 8 by RoryG from Orsay, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, November 17, 2005

Got it. I got it few days ago, but I couldn't get to the internet earlier. I'm swamped with bookrings at the moment, but I try to get to this soon.

Journal Entry 9 by RoryG from Orsay, Ile-de-France France on Monday, December 26, 2005

Well, I finally read it. Sorry it took so long. I found the book quite depressing. The way the people were so shallow and just didn't care. So, it was a hard book to read for me. I'm glad I read it, but I wouldn't want to read it again. It was just so far from my worldview that it was hard for me to understand how the people could be like that.

Anyway, I'm sending this to Switzerland as soon as I get the address.

Journal Entry 10 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Just received today - thanks to LyekkaMarengo for organising and to roryg for posting! I will probably wild release this after reading!

Journal Entry 11 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, January 10, 2006

This was an american classic I was glad I read! The books seems to be the archetype of all the "american" style and money stereotypes I can imagine. I loved the scenes and descriptions of post-war New York. Yes, most of the characters were lacking in moral depth and honesty, but it made for a good story. I liked the fact that the central figures were either hiding behind a facade / new name (Gatsby) or completely nameless (the narrator).

Thanks for sharing, LyekkaMarengo! I will wild-release this book at some point.

Journal Entry 12 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Book will be left at the Dresden MegaMeetup

Journal Entry 13 by Wildspitz from Baar, Zug Switzerland on Tuesday, May 30, 2006

There I picked it up, because I want to read that classic.

Journal Entry 14 by Wildspitz from Baar, Zug Switzerland on Sunday, August 27, 2006

I also found the book very depressing. The characters are all very shallow and do not think about any consequences of the things they do. Tom, Daisy and Jordan just want to enjoy life with all the wealth they inherited. They never really achieved anything in their life. Gatsby had a dream and worked hard to achieve it. But on his way, he did not bother with ethical considerations. This makes him no better that the others, who have inherited their status. Only in the end he shows some character, when he protects Daisy after the car accident. This made me hope that he really loved her as a person and not only for the status and wealth she represents.

Journal Entry 15 by Wildspitz at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (12/14/2006 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

The book is going to be released at the meetup in Zürich.

Journal Entry 16 by spy-there from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, December 14, 2006

Oh! it looks as if a bookray caught me. Anyway. This is basics to read, they say. Hence I took it.

Journal Entry 17 by spy-there from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, August 17, 2007

Strange. I imagined the book to be sort of a mafia crime affair - and now it is a sad, sad lovestory. Which takes place in the glittering Jazz Age: pearl strings, pot hats and everything. Gatsby represents the American Dream, the «you can get it if you really want»-idea. Gatsby got it – for a short time. The dream is a treacherous and corrupted one, there is no fulfilling at the end.
The text is elegant and smooth, kind of coolish, sophisticated - but the whole story didn’t affect me much. That is, it saddened and left me with an unpleasant feeling. Kind of respectful melancholy.

In spite of Gatsby’s sorry fate the author somehow fondles the lavish party-life, idolizes the millionaires and their material excesses. I learned that Fitzgerald had celebrated Gatsby’s luxury life-style himself. When he became a literary prodigy with his first novel This Side of Paradise he earned already a lot of money in the young age of 24. It is reported that he and his wife Zelda spent over 30''000 dollar per month for their unrestrained party pleasure (American average income 1920: 1500$).
By the way: Zelda was obviously the model for the figure of Daisy (which I didn’t appreciate, not at all). I doubt that the real Zelda was such a stupid slut. In any case she was a writer herself.

^__^ One remarkable thing: Fitzgerald could still make use of the word holocaust without being prosecuted by jewish communities for the sake of antisemitism. Holocaust was then merely a word for crimes with a total success; that is, without any survivors.

Summary: As a period piece, it''s undeniably an essential read to the Jazz Age canon. The recurring themes of greed, shallowness, loss of faith make it also highly relevant to nowadays'' issues. Read it if you want to get depressed; it’s not at all a shallow thing.

Journal Entry 18 by spy-there at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (9/11/2007 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

took it to the meetup - and it likely stayed on the shelf ...