corner corner Confessions of a Shopaholic

Confessions of a Shopaholic
by Sophie Kinsella | Literature & Fiction
Registered by alsgal of Lewes, Delaware USA on 4/11/2005

status (set by moonblue): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Monday, April 11, 2005

Picked up at a local thrift shop. I enjoy reading this series and thought I would share.

Sending off to pepita-du-corfu as a surprise RABCK to fulfill a wish when I send a bookring book. **Mailed 4/29/05

From Amazon.com:

If you've ever paid off one credit card with another, thrown out a bill before opening it, or convinced yourself that buying at a two-for-one sale is like making money, then this silly, appealing novel is for you. In the opening pages of Confessions of a Shopaholic, recent college graduate Rebecca Bloomwood is offered a hefty line of credit by a London bank. Within a few months, Sophie Kinsella's heroine has exceeded the limits of this generous offer, and begins furtively to scan her credit-card bills at work, certain that she couldn't have spent the reported sums.
In theory anyway, the world of finance shouldn't be a mystery to Rebecca, since she writes for a magazine called Successful Saving. Struggling with her spendthrift impulses, she tries to heed the advice of an expert and appreciate life's cheaper pleasures: parks, museums, and so forth. Yet her first Saturday at the Victoria and Albert Museum strikes her as a waste. Why? There's not a price tag in sight.

It kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it? You wander round, just looking at things, and it all gets a bit boring after a while. Whereas if they put price tags on, you'd be far more interested. In fact, I think all museums should put prices on their exhibits. You'd look at a silver chalice or a marble statue or the Mona Lisa or whatever, and admire it for its beauty and historical importance and everything--and then you'd reach for the price tag and gasp, "Hey, look how much this one is!" It would really liven things up.

Eventually, Rebecca's uncontrollable shopping and her "imaginative" solutions to her debt attract the attention not only of her bank manager but of handsome Luke Brandon--a multimillionaire PR representative for a finance group frequently covered in Successful Saving. Unlike her opposite number in Bridget Jones's Diary, however, Rebecca actually seems too scattered and spacey to reel in such a successful man. Maybe it's her Denny and George scarf. In any case, Kinsella's debut makes excellent fantasy reading for the long stretches between white sales and appliance specials.

Journal Entry 2 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Thursday, August 18, 2005

this is by far the best RABCK i've ever had! not only because i didn't expect it, but also because Confessions was on my wish list. i don't know how many "thank you"s i have to say for this. alsgal you have become one of my favourites!

Journal Entry 3 by pepita-di-Corfu at Sent by mail in fellow bookcrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Released 10 yrs ago (10/9/2006 UTC) at Sent by mail in fellow bookcrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

the book is travelling all the way to South Africa to meet moonblue along with other bits and pieces. I hope you'll get addicted to Sophie Kinsella's writting! :)

Journal Entry 4 by moonblue from Grahamstown, Eastern Cape South Africa on Monday, October 16, 2006

This arrived in my box at work on a very bad Monday. Thanks pepita-di-Corfu for making my day. This looks like the perfect fun read. I am looking forward to meeting a new author who I have heard so much about.