corner corner First They Killed My Father - A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers

First They Killed My Father - A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers
by Loung Ung | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingSecretariatwing of Carlsbad, California USA on 4/10/2005

status (set by Amusedbythis): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingSecretariatwing from Carlsbad, California USA on Sunday, April 10, 2005

I've read so much about this book and think the subject matter is so important I must read it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSecretariatwing from Carlsbad, California USA on Monday, August 28, 2006

This is a very well written book about the life of the author from birth until she moved to the U.S. when she was about 12. It gave me a very good idea of how horrific it was to live under Pol Pot and his regime. In fact, I am amazed that any of her family survived. It was very interesting to see that the different personalities in her family found ways to survive when they used their strengths to their advantage, including her very shy and retiring sister who used that trait to stay out of the gaze of the killing monster. I thoroughly enjoyed this book (even given it's subject matter), and look forward to reading "Lucky," which is her sequel of her years growing up in the U.S.

Journal Entry 3 by Amusedbythis from Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Thank you so very much for sending this book to me!

Journal Entry 4 by Amusedbythis from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, October 21, 2006

This is the sad memoir of a girl's childhood facing the Pol Pot regime and the toll that it took on her family. Her eldest brother and wife eventually immigrated to the United States taking her with them.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by Amusedbythis from Chicago, Illinois USA on Friday, December 01, 2006

This is now a ring.

The order of participants is:
MommyMace--Mass
Dancing-Dog--Tenn.
Karenlea--Calif.
nuriayasmin--Germany
triggerfish--Scotland
momX3lovesbooks--Nebraska

Journal Entry 6 by Amusedbythis at post office in Chicago, Illinois -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, December 10, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (12/10/2006 UTC) at post office in Chicago, Illinois -- Controlled Releases

Bookring has started. Sent to mommymace DC# 03061070000432163370.

Journal Entry 7 by MommyMace from Hopkinton, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, December 24, 2006

Received the book a few days ago. I am anxious to get started on it....Just a few more chapters of my current book first....

Journal Entry 8 by MommyMace from Hopkinton, Massachusetts USA on Monday, January 01, 2007

One of the best books I have ever read..I would rate it higher than 10 if I could... I hadn't anticipated this book to affect me this way. I want to give this book to everyone I know! I have purchased my own copy of this book to pass around to my friends, I've recommended it for my book club, and I have purchased Loung Ung's next book Lucky Child.

Loung Ung is a great writer detailing her horrific childhood experience when the Khmer Rouge disrupted her happy life in Phnom Pehn in 1975. Beautifully written, in graphic detail, Loung describes the horrors, moving me to tears. A very important story. She is a survivor--

Thank you Amusedbythis for starting this ring. I am pming the next person

Journal Entry 9 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Received in the mail last night - almost done with my current book so I'll start this one next. Looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 10 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Saturday, January 13, 2007

Loung was a very couragous, strong child and a survivor. I greatly admire her for writing this book and also for her current work as an adult, helping to make the world safe from landmines. One of the things I loved most about this book is that it was from her point of view as a child. As she matured (and she was forced to grow up in a hurry given the horrific events), we saw her understand more about the horrors of the war and she had no choice but to leave childhood behind prematurely. I cried at the end when she was finally able to reunite with her family years later. This is the kind of book that makes you thankful for the life you have had and opens your eyes to some of the suffering that has gone on in the world.

Thanks for letting me read this book. PMing Karenlea for her address.

Journal Entry 11 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Got this in the mail to Karenlea today - media mail, confirmation #0306 1070 0004 9349 8350.

Bon voyage, book!

Journal Entry 12 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Monday, January 22, 2007

Caught!!! I have one ring ahead of it, but I should be able to start it very soon. Thank you for sharing!!!

Journal Entry 13 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Thursday, February 01, 2007

I absoulutely cannot imagine living through the events in this book. I almost felt like I was having a panic attack while reading it and I wanted to get to the end fast to make sure that everyone would be ok. Loung's story is a very important one and I am grateful that she shared it in this memoir.

A huge thank you to Amusedbythis for sharing this book. It will be mailed to Germany on Saturday, if not sooner.

Update- I ended up having to work a lot this past week and didn't make it to the post office until this morning- 2/7/2007...it is now on it's way. I apologize for the delay.

Journal Entry 14 by nuriayasmin from Miraflores, Lima Peru on Thursday, February 15, 2007

The book has safely arrived here today and I'll try to read it as soon as possible.

Feb. 23, 2007:
I found the book very impressive and don't doubt that it shows the reality under the Pol Pot regime. However, in my opinion, the author invents the details from the memories of other people for the simple reason that from 1975 - 1979 she was too small to remember all those details from her childhood as an adult. For example, a girl of 7 or 8 who didn't even go to school at that time, isn't able to count back the months when she last saw her various family members. It was also astonishing that her little sister Geak remained the little baby until her death at the age of six while Luong Ung herself was already able to understand rather complex things about politics at the age of 5. I think Luong Ung should have made clear that her story is made up of a mixture of things she remembers herself, things she was probably told by older family members, things she perhaps read about and things she perhaps heard of from other Cambodian refugees. Then I would have given the book more than the 5 stars it gets now.

I'll ask for the next address now and then send the book on.

Journal Entry 15 by nuriayasmin from Miraflores, Lima Peru on Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The book is on the way to Scotland now.

Journal Entry 16 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, March 03, 2007

Book safely arrived today. Thank you. I will aim to move it on within next 4 weeks.

Journal Entry 17 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 11, 2007

This was a very powerful book and a very enlightening one for me, as I knew very litle about the Khmer Rouge prior to reading it.
The author does make it clear that she made use of one hundred pages of her brother's information in writing the book. However, she has clearly been able to draw on her memories of her own thoughts and feelings. Loung's determination to survive is a lesson to us all.
This is a harrowing read but an uplifting one at the same time. When i finished it , I thought that a further book about Loung's experiences in Vermont would be a fascinating read of her adaptation to a totally different culture. From re-reading journal entries I see that it is already written!! Will be on look out for it.

Thank you Secretariat and Amusedbythis for sharing this book ,I doubt that I would have come across it without Bookcrossing!

I have next address and will post in next few days.

Journal Entry 18 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 16, 2007

posted today to momX3lovesbooks.

Journal Entry 19 by momx3lovesbooks on Friday, March 23, 2007

received today, I am 1/2 way through my current book and this will be next.

Until the age of five, Loung Ung lived in Phnom Penh, one of seven children of a high-ranking government official. She was a precocious child who loved the open city markets, fried crickets, chicken fights, and sassing her parents. When Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge army stormed into Phnom Penh in April 1975, Ung's family was forced to flee their home and hide their previous life of privilege. Eventually, they dispersed in order to survive. Loung was trained as a child soldier in a work camp for orphans while her other siblings were sent to labor camps. Only afte the Vietnamese destroyed the Khmer Rouge were Loung and her surving siblings slowly reunited.

Wonderful book! I can't put it into words, very powerful, moving book.

04/03-mailed via media mail to Amusedbythis to finish this ring. Thanks for including me and for organizing this ring!

Journal Entry 20 by Amusedbythis from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Book is safely home. Thank you one and all for your comments. I am very glad that I made this book a bookring and shared it with you.

Journal Entry 21 by Amusedbythis at post office in Chicago, Illinois -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, April 29, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (4/29/2007 UTC) at post office in Chicago, Illinois -- Controlled Releases

Wanted to continue to share this book. Sent it to Panera Bread for an OBCZ>