corner corner The Main Corpse *

The Main Corpse *
by Diane Mott Davidson | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by DameEdna of Monroe Township (Middlesex County), New Jersey USA on 4/2/2005

status (set by jcm): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by DameEdna from Monroe Township (Middlesex County), New Jersey USA on Saturday, April 02, 2005

I like Davidson's books, but I especially like them when they are books on tape - both Cherry Jones and Mary Gross do a magnificent job of conveying Goldie Schultz. Of course, if you only listen to them and not read them, you miss the recipes. However, I hate to cook, so no biggie.

Journal Entry 2 by DameEdna from Monroe Township (Middlesex County), New Jersey USA on Monday, May 08, 2006

Going to a bookrelayer. Enjoy it! This is just FUN listening!

Journal Entry 3 by lizziwhizz from Skowhegan, Maine USA on Friday, May 19, 2006

Received safe in the mail today, I'm looking forward to listening to this one, thanks DameEdna!

Journal Entry 4 by lizziwhizz from Skowhegan, Maine USA on Monday, June 19, 2006

I have listened to other Goldie mysteries (I also prefer them on audio) and this was definitely my least favorite so far. The lengths to which Goldie goes in this story far outpace the average "cozy"--hijacking an ambulance, for crying out loud!!! I found her involvement in the mystery less believable than usual, therefore a little less enjoyable.
Goldie's husband Tom doesn't have enough of a role in this story; I like his character and was disappointed that he didn't figure more prominently. Her son gets in on the action a little bit with his retired police bloodhound. The reader is fabulous, a great voice for Goldie.
There is a bad spot in the 3rd tape side A, near the end--at first I thought my walkman's batteries were dead but changing them didn't fix it; the tape sounds as though it is winding down slower and slower for the last ten minutes or so of the tape. When you flip over to the other side it is fine. I don't think anything terribly important happens that can't be figured out.

Journal Entry 5 by lizziwhizz from Skowhegan, Maine USA on Wednesday, June 21, 2006

packaged up and put in the mailbox today for my mailman to pick up in the morning! off to SalDragski for a bookrelay

Journal Entry 6 by SalDragski from San Antonio, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Received today via the bookrelay site.

Journal Entry 7 by SalDragski from San Antonio, Texas USA on Friday, September 08, 2006

This was my first Davidson read and I'd have to say it's not my cup of tea (PUN INTENDED!). I only listened to one side of the first tape.

Journal Entry 8 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, May 26, 2007

...and my first ever audio bookbox is back home—with many, many more books than when it left. :)

Thanks to all who participated.

I've never read a Diane Mott Davidson book, but I think I might give this a try. Thank you!

Lightly abridged (according to the cover), 4 cassettes, approximately 6 hours, read by Mary Gross

#6 in the Goldy Bear mystery series

Synopsis:
The relentless rain has dampened business and spirits at Goldy B. Shultz' Goldilock's Catering by washing away picnics and waterlogging weddings. Just as Goldy's bank account is about to dry up, her friend Marla saves the day by setting up Goldy with a delicious job catering a gala for financial investors at a long closed local mine.

When the rain, a clever embezzlement scheme, and a missing boyfriend combine to turn Marla's party into a soggy disaster and Marla finds herself accused of murder, Goldy investigates and learns that a brilliant con artist has cooked up his own poisonous recipe for murder.

Journal Entry 9 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Thursday, July 03, 2008

I finished listening to this on my way home from work this afternoon (hooray for 3-day holiday weekends!!!). I'll repeat the pun and say this isn't my cup of tea. I never really got interested in the story, although I finished all the tapes. I was actually rather bored with the characters and the thin plot.

I am happy to say, however, that I had no problem with any of the tapes—they all played fine for me.

I'll now make this available for some other lucky listener.

Journal Entry 10 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, March 18, 2009

RABCK received today from mellion108 - thanks very much! It's been a while since I've read one of Goldy's adventures, but they're usually fun.

I don't remember this one very well, so I'm hoping it will make for good listening.

Journal Entry 11 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, March 29, 2009

Do not, repeat NOT, listen to these when you are hungry!

This may indeed be the most far-fetched of Goldy's adventures, but it was fun to listen to it on tape (although I'm glad I didn't actually have to listen to Jake's howling). I have a couple of the more recent books in this series on my TBR stack and this has inspired me to dig them out - one of them will be my Colorado book for the 50 States reading challenge.

Thanks for sharing! I will save this to add to the audiocassette bookbox currently on its way to me.

Edit: no idea how I ended up with a journal entry in triplicate, but I'm trying to delete the extras...

Journal Entry 12 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, April 18, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (4/16/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Released in KateKintail's box of audiobooks on cassette.

This book was set free to find a new reader; I'm so glad you've found it!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn about what it has to offer.

Free your books - help spread the words!

Journal Entry 13 by jcm from Lisle, Illinois USA on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Taken from KateKintail's audiobox. Started this one yesterday. Have to say, so far, not impressed. Also, I find the reader a bit annoying. But of course, I'll most likely finish it, because I can't seem to not finish a book.

Journal Entry 14 by jcm at -- Internet, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, August 15, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/15/2010 UTC) at -- Internet, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

LA.