corner corner The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger | Literature & Fiction
Registered by iggi1812 of Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 30, 2005

status (set by lorrssharp): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by iggi1812 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I've just read this for a reading group. Its an easy read - more of a love story than anything else. It tells the story of Henry & Claire from when they first meet - with the aded complication that Henry travels in time.

Journal Entry 2 by iggi1812 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 04, 2005

I'm starting a bookring for this after getting a request for it. Please don't hang on to it for too long remember there is someonelse further down the list who's waiting!

Shipping list is:

kiki66 (Germany)
navig8r (UK)
scottishhoosier (UK)
pennywhistler (UK)

then back to me iggi1812 (UK) Hurrah! Book is home!

Journal Entry 3 by Suzy26 from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, April 27, 2005

This book sure took a long time to get here, but it has arrived at last! I will start on it right away. Thankx for sending it iggi1812 and for the beautiful postcard.

Journal Entry 4 by Suzy26 from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, May 05, 2005

Finished it. Didn't really work for me, though. I couldn't empathize with either Clare or Henry. I didn't like the writing style. The pace was very slow. I kept waiting and waiting for something spectacularly surprising to happen, but it never did. Thanks for sharing iggi1812. Sorry I can't be more positive.

Will send this book to Sublevel4 as soon as I have her address.

Journal Entry 5 by Sublevel4 from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, May 09, 2005

Received this today. Am currently finishing reading a book, however this one goes on the pile as the next one TBR.

Thanks to iggi1812 & Suzy26! Btw Suzy26.. I am a him not a her...

Journal Entry 6 by Sublevel4 from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, May 15, 2005

After 4 or 5 attempts at this book and knowing that, the day after tomorrow, I am going on holiday for more than a month, I am giving up on this book (after roughly 110 pages). I simply did not like it. Below are the primary reasons:

Hmmm... The first thing that bugs me is that this story is not written in any particular order. It doesn't follow a chronological order, nor does it follow the order of either of the main characters. Instead it seems to jump willy-nilly around and include things that do not seem relevant while leaving out stuff that would make the story more coherent...

Secondly it is very obvious that the author is a woman (not just by her name). Henry, the main male protagonist makes choices that don't make any sense. It is difficult for me to point out exactly what it is here, but it just doesn't ring true. I've come across female authors who manage to do this and the effect is a much more believable story (Adrian Mole Diaries for one).

Thirdly there seems no real point to the whole time-travelling debacle. I also found myself frequently going back 20-50 pages to check times and facts. The use of time-travel to give the story something extra has been done so much better in other novels (Dean Koontz's Lightning for one).

I've already received "decay"'s address and will be sending it to him by mail tomorrow or the day after...

Journal Entry 7 by decay from Lyon, Rhône-Alpes France on Wednesday, May 25, 2005

It was today in the mailbox. Thanks SubLevel4.

Journal Entry 8 by decay from Lyon, Rhône-Alpes France on Monday, July 18, 2005

I'm not quite into love stories, but this one has an incredible timeline or timelines. I really liked those two characters. I did not find the writing confusing, I found it quite audacious, furthermore I did not spot any incoherences.

Sorry for keeping the book so long, but Bookrings seem to arrive in my mailbox all at the same time.

Already PMed Tjroth, waiting for the address.

Journal Entry 9 by decay from Lyon, Rhône-Alpes France on Monday, July 25, 2005

Sent off today to TJROTH in the United States.

Journal Entry 10 by TJROTH from Port Angeles, Washington USA on Friday, July 29, 2005

Just received in the mail yesterday and am already a third of the way through it. I really like it so far which is surprising since I am sending a bookring (Somewhere in Time) off without finishing it because it just didn't strike my fancy. Thanks for the postcard and bookmark decay! (Also I want decay to mail things to me more often...the book was mailed on Monday and got to me on Thursday!)

Journal Entry 11 by TJROTH from Port Angeles, Washington USA on Tuesday, August 02, 2005

I really enjoyed this book. It caught my attention right from the beginning and never let it go. I did figure out about halfway through though how it would end. Pming the next in line for their addy.
Decay...by the way maybe the book did a little time traveling of it's own.

8/3/05 Sending off to titihood today!

Journal Entry 12 by titihood on Friday, August 12, 2005

Received in the post today, thanks! :) Looking forward to reading it but have 2 more rings am working on beforehand, Lolita and The Elegant Universe but will start it as soon as I have finished one of them. I like reading books in tandem, means I have different flavours when I want. Of course some books do not allow one to do that as you need to immerse yourself fully in them, but that's a whole other kettle of fish!
I finished this book a while ago but have only just got round to posting it. It is beautiful, a very touching romance that's nothing like a traditional romance (or what I see as one anyway). There are parts that I felt could have been better or tweaked a bit and I'm not at all sure about all the ramifications of time travel as written here, but it was great, thanks for sharing!
21/9/5: sent to next BCer on list :)

Journal Entry 13 by StinaRy from Long Beach, California USA on Monday, October 03, 2005

Received late last week. Already started it and about 1/3 of the way through. So far a fantastic read!

Journal Entry 14 by StinaRy from Long Beach, California USA on Monday, October 24, 2005

As much as I enjoyed the first part of the book -- the more I read it, the less I liked it. Similar to what some other journalers have said, I kept waiting for something spectacular to happen. And it was simply too long - for a book with more than 500 pages, not a whole lot happened and that made it tough to get through. I alomst gave up on it several times but kept hoping it would live up to the hype I'd heard about it (like the quote on the coer comparing it to The Lovely Bones -- not even close in my estimation). Oh well, thanks to Iggi1812 for sharing anyway. I will send this on as soon as I have an address for the next person in line.

Journal Entry 15 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, November 07, 2005

Well, the time traveller's book is in Germany by now!
Thanks for sending - will read asap!

Journal Entry 16 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Thursday, December 08, 2005

It is great to read the different journals.. that's the spirit of BC :-)

I for my part loved the book!
sure it was an easy read but I found the idea fascinating (I admit I haven't read many time travelling books before :-)) and I was ever so glad that -when I looked across the room - my husband was still sitting there and showed no sign of time travel... :-)
He liked the book as well so there were times when we struggled who is reading the book now... we decided then he will give me my own copy for Christmas so HE can read it then....

Anyway, navig8r wants to be skipped (she's the book herself by now) - so I will send this on to ScottishHoosier .. I already have the address...

Journal Entry 17 by kiki66 at BookRing in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Friday, December 09, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (12/9/2005 UTC) at BookRing in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

And so the Time Traveller's Wife went off to Scottland.. hope, Henry will make it, too... so that he doesn't get stuck here in Gauting in 1987 :-))

Journal Entry 18 by ScottishHoosier on Monday, December 19, 2005

Came this morning with the post. Thank you, Kiki for sending it and iggi1812 for sharing!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Journal Entry 19 by ScottishHoosier on Saturday, January 14, 2006

I absolutely loved this story. Well done, Audrey, on keep track of everything, all the comings and goings! She must have made so many notes and did all kinds of timelines. I don't really know what else to say.

Thank you very much to iggi1812 for sharing this lovely book! It is going on its way back to you this morning, if I can make it to the post office.

Journal Entry 20 by iggi1812 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, January 21, 2006

I picked this up from the post office a couple of days ago but hadn't time to journal it.

This was my first book ring and I am very happy to receive it back. I've found following its journey over the last year quite exciting - never quite knowing whether or not it would make it back.

Its been great seeing what other people have thought of it as it travelled through Europe and North America.

I'd like to thank everyone who took part for keeping it moving but particulaly Sophie26 who started the ball rolling by requesting it in the first place and Scottishhoosier who returned it to me along with an introduction to Kafka - someone I've alway thought about reading but never quite got round to!

Thanks again

Journal Entry 21 by lorrssharp from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, October 17, 2008

bizzare im a bookcrosser was in charity shop picked up book at random got home noted bookcrossing no made my day must read and set free lol