corner corner The Savage Girl

The Savage Girl
by Alex Shakar | Literature & Fiction
Registered by freesia of Perth, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, March 24, 2005

status (set by JudySlump612): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by freesia from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, March 24, 2005

This is about the dark side of consumer culture. Ursula takes a job as a trend-spotter, hunting for the latest cool things and fashions among urban youth. However, her inspiration for a new campaign, the wild "savage girl" goes wrong when her schizophrenic model sister Ivy becomes its poster girl. Suddenly mental illness becomes cool. This was odd and disturbing, but kept me interested because I wanted to know what weird twist it would take next.

Journal Entry 2 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, April 24, 2005

Picked up at the breakfast meetup this morning. Freesia's description of this sounded really interesting.

=+=

Journal Entry 3 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, May 05, 2005

A *very* odd book. It's one of those books you get to the end of and you're not sure whether you enjoyed reading it or not. Some interesting (and scarey!) ideas about how we are manipulated by marketing, but the plot was a bit disjointed at times, and I never felt much sympathy for any of the characters. As freesia says, though, you have to keep reading it just to see where it will go next!

=+=

Journal Entry 4 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, May 22, 2005

Given to another bookcrosser at the Dunedin meetup on Saturday.

=+=

Journal Entry 5 by octopusgrrl from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Saturday, December 06, 2008

It's been over three years since I got this book, I wanted to read it but I haven't gotten around to it, and since I'm clearing out my shelves I'm going to release it unread a.s.a.p.

Journal Entry 6 by octopusgrrl at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (12/9/2008 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent to ciloma in Spirit Lake, ID :)

Journal Entry 7 by ciloma from Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Saturday, December 20, 2008

Found this one - along with two others! - in my mailbox yesterday. THANX OctopusGrrl!!

Journal Entry 8 by ciloma from Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Monday, December 07, 2009

I finished this one a few days ago and forgot to journal it. Sorry. What a strange book. I caught myself wondering just why I continued to read it and dlike another reader - I waqnted to know what came next. Quite a statement about the consumer.

Journal Entry 9 by ciloma from Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Saturday, February 27, 2010

Reserved for guinaveve

Journal Entry 10 by ciloma at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Thursday, March 04, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/3/2010 UTC) at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA

On its way to guinaveve. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 11 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Monday, March 08, 2010

Thanks! This looks great, very interesting. Reading the summary reminds me of a book by Scott Westerfeld that I liked, So Yesterday, so I am eager to read this.

Journal Entry 12 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Friday, April 16, 2010

It was an good story told in a a weird way, making the book just okay. I had bigger expectations for it after reading the back cover.

Journal Entry 13 by guinaveve at Mason, Ohio USA on Monday, August 02, 2010

To be released in the "Award Winning" bookbox. A New York Times Notable Book for 2001

Journal Entry 14 by guinaveve at *** in Sent by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 02, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (8/2/2010 UTC) at *** in Sent by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

If you are the finder of this book, welcome to the site. Please make a journal entry so that I know it has been picked up and found. To do so is free and you can do it anonymously. You can read the book or not, keep it, pass it on to someone else you think might enjoy it, or leave it in a public place like I did.

Journal Entry 15 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, September 13, 2010

Chosen from Tabby-cat-owner's Award Winning Bookbox.

Journal Entry 16 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I concur absolutely with freesia, FutureCat and ciloma: I kept reading this just to find out where the next weird twist would take us. It's certainly imaginative, and I feel it does work as a dark vision of marketing and consumerism. Personally, my favorite element was the location of the mythical city on the edge of a volcano. It's a great visual, and I would have liked to have seen it used more in the book.

Journal Entry 17 by wingJudySlump612wing at Red Cross Blood Donor Center - 505 W 98th St. in Bloomington, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (10/26/2010 UTC) at Red Cross Blood Donor Center - 505 W 98th St. in Bloomington, Minnesota USA

On shelves in donor canteen.