corner corner The Green Mile

The Green Mile
by Stephen King | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingjanna2wing of Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on 3/22/2005

status (set by ixion): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingjanna2wing from Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Welcome to Cold Mountain Penitentiary, home to the Depression-worn men of E Block. Convicted killers all, each awaits his turn to walk the Green Mile, keeping a date with "Old Sparky", Cold Mountain's electric chair.
Prison guard Paul Edgecombe has seen his share of oddities in his years working the Mile. But he's never seen anyone like John Coffey, a man with the body of a giant and the mind of a child, condemned for a crime terrifying in its violence and shocking in its depravity. In this place of ultimate retribution, Edgecombe is about to discover the terrible, wondrous truth about Coffey, a truth that will challenge his most cherished beliefs ..... and yours.

Got from a friend for bookcrossing purposes.

Journal Entry 2 by SiteBuilder from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, August 29, 2005

Al een heeeeeele tijd geleden gevonden in Castricum.

Journal Entry 3 by SiteBuilder at OBCZ Griffioen in Amstelveen, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 25, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (4/25/2009 UTC) at OBCZ Griffioen in Amstelveen, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Released at the opening meeting of OBCZ Griffioen.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by marsala from Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, April 26, 2009

I really enjoyed the movie, so hopefully I'll like the book aswell!

30-5. The movie proved to stay quite true to the book. A very intense story to read.

Journal Entry 5 by marsala at by mail, Another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 31, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (5/31/2009 UTC) at by mail, Another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Op weg naar een van de winnaars van de lenteloterij!

Journal Entry 6 by Yinny from Capelle aan den IJssel, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, June 03, 2009

En het boek is in Capelle! Dit boek is inderdaad iets wat ik zou lezen...want ik heb het al gelezen! ;)
Het is een van de beste verhalen van King, vind ik. Ik ga er een mooie bestemming voor zoeken!
Dank je wel voor het cadeau!

Journal Entry 7 by Yinny at BookCrossing Anniversary Convention 2010 (Theater Griffioen) in Amstelveen, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 17, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/17/2010 UTC) at BookCrossing Anniversary Convention 2010 (Theater Griffioen) in Amstelveen, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Have fun!

Journal Entry 8 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 17, 2010

Picked this up off the book buffet at the 2010 BookCrossing Convention in Amsterdam. Looking forward to reading it - thanks! :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 25, 2011

I have found I prefer King's non-horror stories, and this was no exception. This is a serial novel in six parts (and I actually own all six individual books, in addition to this six-in-one paperback), so I'll review each one separately.

1. The Two Dead Girls: Not a whole lot happens in this section except for exposition: you learn of John Coffey's crime, brutally murdering and raping two young sisters, and you get to know the narrator (Paul) and some of his coworkers. One thing I noticed was that Coffey's guilt is just assumed without much in the way of evidence. This big black man is found holding the two corpses and sobbing away, and everybody figures he must have been the one who killed them. "I couldn't help it" could have multiple meanings, especially since he didn't elaborate. But I guess being a black man in 1930s Louisiana was crime enough for these folks. Anyway, it was a fine enough start, though if I didn't already have the rest of the series I probably wouldn't have been interested enough to continue.

2. The Mouse on the Mile: I love Mr. Jingles. The dichotomy between him and the other major character introduced - the evil William Wharton - is interesting. I like how Mr. Jingles’s un-mouse-like intelligence is neither questioned nor explained, nor is Wharton’s sheer malice for everyone he encounters. Can’t wait for the next one.

3. Coffey's Hands: Man oh man, does this one end on a cliff-hanger. Granted, I’ve seen the movie so I know (more or less) what happens, but it’s been so many years that I’d forgotten much of it. It’s at this point that Edgecomb starts to doubt Coffey’s guilt and Percy starts to go over the edge. You can feel the tension build.

4. The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix: This one is certainly well-named. For all I might not like his horror plots, King certainly knows how to describe gore vividly. That's a mental picture I won't be forgetting any time soon. I didn’t think I could hate Percy any more than I already did, but I managed.

5. Night Journey: Honestly, I think this was the most suspenseful installment of the entire series. Edgecomb and his crew sneak Coffey out of the prison to drop in on the warden, and any number of things could go wrong at any moment. Of course, we’re not entirely out of the woods yet, with one more book to go.

6. Coffey on the Mile: Hoo boy. If you're looking for a good cry, you'll probably get one reading this. I thought I was okay after the first heart-wrenching scene, but two or three more after that really got me going. But in a good way. The ending is reasonably satisfying, and kind of thought provoking. After all, since it's told in first person it's impossible to know for sure what happens to the narrator after the story is finished, and that kind of open-endedness is sort of neat for this sort of tale.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmelydiawing at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (11/5/2011 UTC) at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA

Took to the joint BCinDC/Carroll County meetup at Birdie's Cafe in Westminster, MD. It didn't come home with me, so it may have ended up on the OBCZ shelf in back. Safe journeys, little book!

Journal Entry 11 by EXTRACTS9 at Westminster, Maryland USA on Thursday, November 10, 2011

I just picked up the book, will be reading soon. I can't wait.

Journal Entry 12 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 03, 2012

I picked up this book from Birdie's Cafe in Westminster, Maryland, at a BC in DC Meet-up and will be relocating it.

Here are my thoughts about the book from back when I read it in 1997:

It is 1932. Paul Edgecomb works as a prison guard in Cold Mountain Penitentiary. There he attends those who await walking the Green Mile and being clamped into Old Sparky for execution. One of these prisoners is John Coffey, a huge black man accused of killing twin girls. But is Coffey really the killer? As Edgecomb learns more about John Coffey and Coffey's mysterious abilities, Edgecomb is not so sure. A heart-warming addition to Edgecomb's chilling environment at work is Mr. Jingles, a mouse adopted by Edward Delacroix, another convict awaiting execution.

Paul Edgecomb, in reflecting back on this episode of his life, addresses issues such as youth and aging, companionship and loneliness, life and death, sickness and health, good and evil. You'll think about these issues long after you've finished his story.

This is classic Stephen King. He'll leave you laughing and crying, frightened and relieved.

I must admit that, although this thriller was meant to be read as a series of six individual books, I never started them until I had the complete set of The Green Mile books at hand! I cheated...but am glad. I would not have wanted to wait for the next book!

Journal Entry 13 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Private Home in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (12/22/2012 UTC) at Private Home in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA

I'm releasing this book at the 2012 Annual BC in DC Holiday party book buffet. Thanks, authorauthor, for hosting at your home in Alexandria, Virginia!

Journal Entry 14 by ixion at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wow, I'm glad we rescued this one, it seems to be a well traveled book. I picked up from the book buffet at the BC in DC holiday party. I enjoyed the movie alot, I'm hoping the book is even better.

Journal Entry 15 by ixion at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (5/18/2013 UTC) at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

Hi! You've picked up a special book. This book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com. Visit my web site and see who has read me and all the interesting places I've been. Leave a message for those who follow and pick up this book after you.

Released at the BC in DC table at the Gaithersburg Book Festival.

I decided to let this book go as my bookshelves are over flowing and this book I could easily pick up at a library someplace.