corner corner Katherine

Katherine
by Anya Seton | Literature & Fiction
Registered by gypsyrose02 of Byford, Western Australia Australia on 3/17/2005

status (set by eastbaybookmisr): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by gypsyrose02 from Byford, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, March 17, 2005

This classic romance novel tells the true story of the love affair that changed history—that of Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, the ancestors of most of the British royal family. Set in the vibrant 14th century of Chaucer and the Black Death, the story features knights fighting in battle, serfs struggling in poverty, and the magnificent Plantagenets—Edward III, the Black Prince, and Richard II—who ruled despotically over a court rotten with intrigue. Within this era of danger and romance, John of Gaunt, the king’s son, falls passionately in love with the already married Katherine. Their well-documented affair and love persist through decades of war, adultery, murder, loneliness, and redemption. This epic novel of conflict, cruelty, and untamable love has become a classic since its first publication in 1954.

Journal Entry 2 by gypsyrose02 from Byford, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, August 16, 2005

just making a quick note on here. Im about half way through and trying desperatley to get it finished so that i can send it off to lauraloo. alot of rings have been sent to me lately, but i may put them aside to finish this. sometimes i make the decision to pass on books unread to keep others happy, but this one is really good. so im sorry laura, but ill try to finish it post haste.

Journal Entry 3 by gypsyrose02 from Byford, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, September 07, 2005

this book was amazing. Kept me enthralled from beginning to end (but these types of books always do). Katherine will remain one of my heroines for a long time to come. She was a strong, fair, compassionate woman and i enjoyed the love between her and the duke.
This is finally going out to lauraloo29 tomorrow via airmail, so she should receive it in a week. Im so sorry it took so long, but its well worth the wait.

Journal Entry 4 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 16, 2005

Received today. Thank you. It looks like a nice read. :)

Journal Entry 5 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, May 12, 2008

I'm going to send this out as a ray.

Rules: Not many. Please journal the book's arrival and departure. And please keep it moving by keeping it no longer than 4 weeks. The last person is free to release the book as they wish.

1. buocl US (US)
2. Aramena US (US)
3. skizeye9 US (US)
4. tobysrus US (US)
5. MaryZee - US (NA)
6. CharmedKim US (Intl)
5. HoserLauren - Canada (Intl)
6. sally906 - Australia (Intl)
7. Wandering-B - Hong Kong (Intl)
8. Kiri - US (US)
9. trojanpotato - US (US)
10. perryfran - US (Intl)
11. ciloma - US (US)
12. imawinn2 - US (Intl)
13. Bookworm-lady - Spain (Europe)
14.

This book is starting its travels on May 20th. :)

Journal Entry 6 by buocl from Medina, Ohio USA on Monday, June 02, 2008

Came in the mail today, I have one ring in front of it but should be done in a few weeks. Thanks lauraloo29 for inviting me to participate!

Journal Entry 7 by buocl from Medina, Ohio USA on Thursday, June 26, 2008

Very good book - took me a bit longer to read than I expected. I liked the inclusion of a family tree in the front, which I referred to often. Sometimes it was hard to keep the people straight with so many Johns, Philippas, Henrys, etc.
Will send to Aramena Saturday.

Journal Entry 8 by buocl at Post Office in By Mail, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, June 28, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (6/28/2008 UTC) at Post Office in By Mail, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

En route to Oklahoma - enjoy Aramena!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAramenawing from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Arrived today! Of course, it would arrive on the heels of another ring/ray book, but on that one I am the last person on the list, so I'll probably slip this one ahead of it!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAramenawing from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Friday, July 18, 2008

This started out a little slow for me, but soon picked up and became quite enjoyable. I used to read a lot of historical stuff, but don't recall ever really reading anything about John of Gaunt and Katherine. Towards the end, it began to drag for me though, and I was ready for the book to be over, I think it just was a little too long. The only thing about the book I didn't really like was how there didn't seem to be a whole lot of interaction between the parents and the children. But in those days, in the noble families, that seems to be how it really was!

Mailing to skizeye9 today! Thanks lauraloo29!

Journal Entry 11 by skizeye9 from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ah! My bookrings are piling up! I'll try to get to this one as fast as I can--but it might take a little bit before I can start--my apologies!

Journal Entry 12 by skizeye9 from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Friday, August 22, 2008

Just finished-stayed up til 3-something last night to make it to the homestretch haha! I cried I really enjoyed this book. Though I didn't expect it, Katherine turns out to be a surprisingly complex woman. And the many different kinds of love are well captured. While a little slow and long it's well worth the read I think. There is a lot of depth that pops up when you least expect it. And you can't help but love the history entertwined in!

I'll PM tobysrus now to get the address and send along! Thanks everyone for their patience.

Journal Entry 13 by skizeye9 at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/27/2008 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Put in the mail to tobysrus today! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by tobysrus from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Book arrived today. I will start it just as soon as I finish the book I'm reading. Looks interesting!

Journal Entry 15 by tobysrus from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, September 29, 2008

This book was slow going for me. 250 pages into it and I was still thinking, "When is the action going to start?". The history was interesting. I never knew how many kings could trace their lineage back to this illicit relationship. The last 100 pages went fast. I liked the ending. This wouldn't be highly recommended to others by me. When I put it down I just wasn't that interested in picking it up again. I've sent an e-mail to MaryZee for her address.

Journal Entry 16 by tobysrus at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (9/30/2008 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

On the way to MaryZee. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 17 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Friday, October 03, 2008

Arrived safely today. I'll start this as soon as I finish my current read, probably about a week or so.

10/10 update - Just starting on this now.

Journal Entry 18 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, October 25, 2008

Finally... finished this book. An enjoyable story, just rather long. The last book I read was was 530 pp., this one was 575, and the next bookring I have waiting here is well over 600 pp. (I am long-booked out...)

There were a couple of points in this story that I wondered if I may have read this book years (and years) ago. Since it was published in 1954, I may have. This story is typical of the ones I used to read almost exclusively. Historical, with a bit of romance. Learned lots about English history, near the end of medieval times. I do remember learning before that the onslaught of the plague did in the serf system, since there was no longer the population base that was needed for this system to work. I did enjoy this book, just that it's bad timing for another long book.

Thanks to gypsyrose02, lauraloo29, and everyone else for giving me the chance to read this book. I have CharmedKim's address, and this will be sent on in a few days.

10/30 update - Mailed to CharmedKim today.

Journal Entry 19 by CharmedKim from Secaucus, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Arrived in the mail yesterday. I will get to it soon. Thanks!

Journal Entry 20 by HoserLauren from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Wow this is a big book! As soon as I finish my current book, I'll start on this one, but it looks like it's going to take me a while.

(#95 on the BBC Top 100 list).

Thanks!

Journal Entry 21 by HoserLauren from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 22, 2009

This book is listed as #95 on the BBC Top 100, which is why I read it. I had never heard of Anya Seton before but I'm very glad that the BBC list has exposed me to her.

Katherine tells the story of Katherine Roet, whose father was a knight but was killed in war and whose sister is a lady in waiting for the Queen in 1366. Katherine spends the first part of her life dedicated to church but her sister pulls her from religious life to court and Katherine's life is changed forever. She marries the knight Hugh Swynford who she is revolted by, but he accepts her with no dowry, which puts her in good standing. Her heart is with John of Gaunt, King Edward III's younger son. Their paths cross throughout her life and things become quite complicated as they try to share their love through wars, other marriages, children, riots, and disease.

This is an epic novel where Seton imagines what the characters said and felt in this true story. Even though the book is well over 500 pages, it kept me interested the entire time and I really enjoyed seeing Katherine evolve over her life. She was such a timid teenage and then really blossomed into an intelligent, gentle woman.

You can also tell that it was written a good time ago. If this same story were to be written in present day, it would be more risque and rude I think. This was exceptionally done and incredibly well researched. I will recommend this book to others and am looking to find some more Seton books to read!

Thank you lauraloo for including me on this bookring. I have the address for sally906 but I'm going to wait for a week to send it off, as I can mail it from the USA. Mailing to Australia from Canada can take upwards of 4 months so I don't want to send it from here. Mailing to Australia from the USA is much quicker so I'm hoping it's the same for this book!

Journal Entry 22 by HoserLauren from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Mailed today from the USA. Hopefully it arrives soon!

Journal Entry 23 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, March 16, 2009

Arrived in the mail today - what a quick trip :)

Journal Entry 24 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, April 10, 2009

Finally finished it - not because it was horrible - I was savouring it :)

Well written - Katherine is a wonderful person and I loved watching her grow into herself

Journal Entry 25 by sally906 at Casuarina, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, April 10, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (4/10/2009 UTC) at Casuarina, Northern Territory Australia

Mailed off to Wandering-B in Hong Kong today

Journal Entry 26 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Saturday, April 25, 2009

Received with thanks to Sally906 (we are trading books I see), and lauraloo29 for making it a ring. Almost finished with my current read, so it should not be overly long.

Journal Entry 27 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Monday, May 04, 2009

Thanks again for sharing this one. I thoroughly enjoyed it as I had not read anything about John and Katherine. I enjoyed it for many of the same reasons already posted. Am mailing along to Kiri today, 4 May.

Journal Entry 28 by Kiri from Santa Rosa, California USA on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Read and enjoyed this with all due speed. Loved getting the card from Hong Kong too. Thank you! =)
Contacting trojanpotato for address 27 May 2009

Journal Entry 29 by Kiri at to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 04, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (6/9/2009 UTC) at to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent on to trojanpotato

Journal Entry 30 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, August 10, 2009

This book may be lost in the mail. Hopefully it will turn up soon.

Journal Entry 31 by trojanpotato from San Diego, California USA on Monday, November 09, 2009

I had forgotten I was getting this one! It arrived in the mail today and has moved toward the top of my list.

Journal Entry 32 by trojanpotato from San Diego, California USA on Monday, December 07, 2009

I finished this a few days ago, and will send it on when the rain is not so bad.

I really enjoyed it, finding it very epic in scope and feel even though it only covered the lifespan of one person. Sometimes I was distracted by sentence fragments and other things like that, but overall, I enjoyed the ornate language and long-winded story.

Journal Entry 33 by trojanpotato at Oceanside, California USA on Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (12/8/2009 UTC) at Oceanside, California USA

Sent via media mail.

Journal Entry 34 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Received today! I had about given up on this bookray but after a year and a half, here it is. I have about 3 other rings in front of this and this looks like a rather lengthy tome but hopefully I'll have some time during the holidays to do some extra reading. Thanks lauraloo29 for sharing.

Journal Entry 35 by wingperryfranwing at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 28, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (12/28/2009 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Decided to send this one on after reading the first 30 pages or so. I just didn't seem to be in the mood for a long historical novel. I may at some point get back to this with a copy from the library.

Sending this on to Ciloma in Spirit Lake, Idaho. Enjoy!

USPS DC# 0308 0660 0000 7783 5821

Journal Entry 36 by ciloma on Friday, January 08, 2010

Got it in the mail today. Thanx for sharing. Will get it read as quick as I can.

Journal Entry 37 by ciloma on Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Finished this one last night. I must be in a historical novel zone - I really enjoyed reading this one - I was captivated at times - some of the events were so close to home that I was fully emotionally involved.

Journal Entry 38 by ciloma at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (1/19/2010 UTC) at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA

On it's way to imawinn2.

Journal Entry 39 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Katherine was waiting for me in my mailbox today. I will have to hang onto it longer than the normal 30 days as I had two other books that were formally "delayed" show up at my door the other day. I will try very hard to get through all these books as quickly as possible. Please be patient with me. I love historical fiction, so I am really looking forward to reading this book by Anya Seyton. Thanks so much for sharing, lauraloo20.

Journal Entry 40 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, February 20, 2010

Update: I am starting Katherine today. Will journal my thoughts on the book when I am finished. Thanks again for sending this book to me.

Journal Entry 41 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Friday, March 12, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (3/12/2010 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

A fantastic story and I'm glad that I had a chance to read this. I was especially glad to have some rare several hour long chunks of time to read uninterrupted, as this is a story that one should immerse themselves into. I thought Anya Seton did a fine job bringing Katherine Swynford's story to life with a nice mix of historical facts, romance and adventure. A must read in the historical fiction genre.

Now the book is on its way to Spain where Bookworm-lady is awaiting its arrival.

Journal Entry 42 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, March 25, 2010

Received, safe and sound!
Thanks a lot, Imawinn2, for sending it on and for the beautiful handmade bookmark and kind note; I really appreciate it!
Thanks for sharing, Lauraloo29; I seem to be the last in a looong list. What a well-read book!
Looking forward to reading what looks like a very interesting novel!
Eva

Journal Entry 43 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Reserved for Eastbaybookmsr, who was kind enough to offer some much sought after books to me...

Journal Entry 44 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, June 11, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (6/11/2012 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent to Eastbaybookmsr as a swap for two Thomas Tryon's books on my WishList.
This WishList book travels along with "The Perfect Husband".
Thanks for offering the Tryons to me; please take your time, and I hope you'll enjoy these two!

Journal Entry 45 by eastbaybookmisr at Oakland, California USA on Thursday, June 21, 2012

"Caught" this in the mail today as an international Wishlist book swap. Thank you! I am one third of the way through the promised Tryon books in exchange, so making slow but steady progress :)

1986 Coronet paperback of the 1954 English history tale. This book recalls all the royal genealogy tree I compiled at one time, but have mostly forgotten.

I can let this go after I read:
1941 My Theodosia [n/a]

Edit July 9, 2013: This book is so long that it took me a year to read it. Actually it's not all that long, less than 600 pages - but I had to constantly flip back to the genealogy chart. The author does a good job of exactly placing each character in the story, even when they are mentioned only in passing, but the chart is indispensable. The story is very well done, though I am left wondering how much of the Blanchette story and such is quite true. This is a good foundation for going back and reading all those royal Shalespeare plays, which are all about Katherine's descendants, except for Henry IV, V and VI, which belonged to Katherine's husband John of Gaunt. And Richard II, who was John's nephew - that one sounds intriguing.

Journal Entry 46 by eastbaybookmisr at Maybelle Little Free Library at 3939 Maybelle Ave. in Oakland, California USA on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (7/10/2013 UTC) at Maybelle Little Free Library at 3939 Maybelle Ave. in Oakland, California USA

... in the box.

And a plug for the next meetup of TriValley BookCrossing group, at Panera Bread in Dublin, the second Tuesday of each month.