corner corner If on a Winter's Night a Traveller (Vintage classics)

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller (Vintage classics)
by Italo Calvino | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Diomedes of London , Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 08, 2005

status (set by rebeccaljames): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Diomedes from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I was leant this book by an ex girlfriend and I have to admit that it took some persuading for me to return it when we had broken up so I went straight out and bought a copy which I promptly re-read, thanks Katherine. Not being able to part with that copy either I bought this copy deliberately to release on BookCrossing so that others could discover this, err, rather unusual and unique, novel. When I pulled it out of its place to register it last night I casually flipped through it, as you do, and ended up reading g over a third of the way through again before reminding myself that I do have my own copy.

As I said a very unusual novel but I defy any bibliophile not to identify themselves in Chapter 1 – Calvino was, I feel, one of us. He understood readers and booklovers with a in a way that few other authors appear to have done.

Okay – one line ? I loved this book, I’m not sure that I have ever rated a book at 10 before but I never thought twice about it with 'If on a Winter’s Night a Traveller'.

Journal Entry 2 by Diomedes at on Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (3/12/2005 UTC) at

Journal Entry 3 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, March 12, 2005

Picked up at Ipswich Meetup today, which was a small but select gathering comprising of BookGroupMan, Diomedes and myself. Kind Diomedes had brought this along especially for me, so it'll go next on the to-be-read pile and will be passed on soon after.

Journal Entry 4 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, June 30, 2005

Calvino is a delightful and clever literary tease, not unlike the person who recommended this to me. The reader feels not only understood by, but is also wrapped up in the growing conviction that Calvino started to write several books, all in wildly differing genres and then found a way of incorporating them all into a single volume without ever satisfying his reader's curiosity. "If, on a Winter's Night a Traveller is also postmodern and self-reflective, constantly addressing the reader while discussing reading and the effect the particular reading of this particular novel is likely to have on his reader.

Calvino knows what, and whom, he is talking about. The reader feels understood, no matter what kind of reader he or she may be - all inclinations are accounted for, and somehow put on an equal footing. But the author toys with his audience, taunting and never quite delivering what he seems to offer, only compensating for this apparent cruelty in the last few pages.

Journal Entry 5 by BC-08041015142 on Sunday, July 03, 2005

Picked up at the Unconvention 2005.
:-)

Journal Entry 6 by BC-08041015142 on Monday, February 27, 2006

I tried to get into this book, really I did, but I'm afraid I failed to get into the style of writing. I do feel it's a book that needs to travel, though, so will be sending it out on a BookRay (if there are enough interested parties on BCUK!)

Journal Entry 7 by BC-08080413432 from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, April 14, 2006

Received a couple of days ago - have only just got to a computer. Looking forward to reading it - thanks.

Journal Entry 8 by BC-08080413432 from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, April 20, 2006

Well, this book wasn't for me. It was a bit of a struggle getting through it, to tell the truth.

In contrast to other readers, I found it a really frustrating read: I didn't like the way the stories never got anywhere, or the way it was so self-reflective and kept foregrounding its own arguments. I know it is an important book, and I know that what Italo Calvino was doing was challenging ideas about author and reader and narrative and fiction, but it turns out I’m just not really interested in going into those issues these days. I’m well aware that realism isn’t without its problems, but I like it. I like a story, and I like characters, and I like to be able to enjoy those things without constantly being reminded that they are nothing but fictions.

I also found it quite difficult, for various reasons, to identify with the character called 'you' or 'the Reader', even though the reader is constantly invited to do so. This probably prevented me from getting stuck in and playing the role the reader needs to play to get the most from this book.

I am glad I've read this book - it's one of those ones that people often say you 'ought to read', and I am pleased that I now know what it's all about. I do think that if you are eager to engage with the questions it opens up, it's very well done indeed and is to be recommended. It just wasn't my thing.

Journal Entry 9 by BC-08080413432 from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Sent to Mrsdanvers this afternoon.

Journal Entry 10 by MrsDanvers from Aldeburgh, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Received today, thankks clarrie-rose - that was quick! Behind three books(two rings).

Journal Entry 11 by MrsDanvers from Aldeburgh, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, January 11, 2007

This book has travelled with me to Canterbury, Dover, Swindon, Harrogate and York and finally, I've finished it! This is not the book's fault, but the many distractions of travelling on business; travelling with colleagues, and reading work material all got in the way. So, last night I sat down and decided I would finish that half-read book in a single sitting.

It is a book that warrants sitting down and devoting time to it, which might seem surprising, given that there are so many stories in it, but I think the need to engage, as the Reader, requires singular devotion to the subject.
I felt this novel to be Calvino's huge joke about reading; the way in which we do it and the way we get caught up in the story. I chuckled as I felt myself led up the garden path of another novel to be cut short just as I was getting into the story.
I felt that the plot dragged a little at the University, but that could have been because that was my most fragmented period of reading the book, so that stopped me short of giving a 10.

If it is Ok I will offer this as a ray on the main site.

Journal Entry 12 by MrsDanvers from Aldeburgh, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, September 17, 2007

Off on a short but far-travelling ray:

wyldetwo(UK)
celticseahorse(UK)
jubby( Australia)
cat207 (Australia)

Please:
1. Journal entry on receiving book
2. Journal entry when read book
3. PM next person on list for address
4. Try to read within a month, let me know if your going to be longer.
5. But most of all ENJOY!

Journal Entry 13 by wingwyldetwowing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, December 07, 2007

This book has just arrived in the post - a nice surprise, I'd forgotten all about it. Will get to it after finishing my current book.

Thanks MrsDanvers!

Journal Entry 14 by wingwyldetwowing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, January 18, 2008

An update: In my stupid (with hindsight) attempt to read 120 books in 2007, this book was started but then abandoned in favour of shorter reads!

I will try to finish it as soon as possible and get it moving again.

Journal Entry 15 by wingwyldetwowing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, February 15, 2008

I have lost momentum with this, and am struggling to finish it. I am PMing celticseahorse now, but will try to finish it before I send it off to her!

Apologies for the delay.

Journal Entry 16 by wingwyldetwowing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, March 03, 2008

I've finally finished this book. I'm not sure I could say I actually enjoyed it - I found it a bit of a tease, having a whimsical and dreamlike quality with odd flashes of brilliance - but it certainly made me think!

Apologies once again for making such a meal of it, I will be sending this on very soon, honest!!

Journal Entry 17 by celticseahorse from Newquay, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Arrived safely today wet windy Cornwall. Good timing Jen as it is my birthday and plans had to be abandoned because of the weather, so books come to the rescue again:-) This looks intriguing can't wait to get started..

Journal Entry 18 by celticseahorse from Newquay, Cornwall United Kingdom on Friday, May 16, 2008

I have tried now several times to keep going on this thinking it was just my post general anaesthetic befuddlement that was putting me off this..But, just as I think I might be getting the hang of it the narrator turns up and puts the kiss of death to any changes in my affection for the book.
Sorry it might be a personal foible but someone thinking they know me better than I know myself and actually soo off the mark grates on me.

I think the male Italian ego is better to cope with in person than on the page?

Maybe also it is a cultural thing? I don’t get the humour and I feel as if it is just trying too hard to be clever, or is that part of the whole irony ? Of the pastiche on writing? See I am hopelessly lost Mea culpe maybe one night I will wake with an earth shattering penny drop..I haven’t given up hope ..

I’m glad I tried this though so thanks for the ring.
Having just read some of the previous intelligent discussions..my response might seem a little trite :-) apologies if required.. I'm obviously way behind in my current literary knowledge..but I have responded potentially in the mode of the narrator?how I felt about it at this time, and as I read it.

This was put in post overland to Jubby in Australia yesterday

Journal Entry 19 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ooh!
This arrived in the post today, along with a lovely postcard from Celticseahorse.

Sadly, I do have several bookrings in my possession, but I am hopeful to get to this one soon.
Thank you for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 20 by jubby at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 20, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (6/20/2008 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sigh.

I was really looking forward to sinking my metaphorical teeth in to this one, only to discover that I have tonnes of work on at the moment, and bookrings galore streaming in the door.

A relative has this book on their bookshelf, and as I have held onto this book for long enough, I'm posting it on unfinished to Cat207.

I did enjoy what little I did read though... rather curious...

Journal Entry 21 by wingcat207wing from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Arrived in today's mail. Thank you jubby (but there was no hurry!) and MrsDanvers for sharing.

Journal Entry 22 by wingcat207wing from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Friday, December 26, 2008

What a perfect tease of a book!

Journal Entry 23 by wingcat207wing from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, January 26, 2009

Sending to tqd along with two bookrings. Enjoy. X

Journal Entry 24 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thanks cat207! Another brilliant "1001" book in the bookbag! I am a spoilt tqd today. :)

I have read this one before, but really don't want to part with my personal copy, so I'm looking forward to passing this one onto other readers and seeing their comments!

I found it a fascinating book, with all its stories within stories. And one of the best openings of all time: misbound! (I had a Winter's Night moment with Cloud Atlas and almost took it back to the shop to complain about it being bound incorrectly with missing pages, so I did appreciate this!)

I shall see if I can organise another bookray for this one.

Journal Entry 25 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, January 29, 2009

Participants so far are:

Vekiki, UK
Jozebedee, UK
jellyfish67, UK
mazzlestar, UK

Journal Entry 26 by tqd at Balmain, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (2/11/2009 UTC) at Balmain, New South Wales Australia

Popped in the post to davemurray101 today.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 27 by davemurray101 from Maryville, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 14, 2009

Just recieved this one in the mail. reading it asap. thanks to TQD for restarting the bookring.
20/02 - definitely on the weird list - between The Atrocity Exhibition and Naked lunch. Went off on a lot of tangents and I may just need to reread it to get it a bit better. PMing Bug2004 to send it on.

Journal Entry 28 by davemurray101 at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 22, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (2/22/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

SENT TO Bug2004 IN THE POST.

Journal Entry 29 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Monday, March 09, 2009

Re'cvd today. Will get to it as quick as I can. Thanks!

Journal Entry 30 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, May 14, 2009

I knew from the opening lines that I was in for a treat. A fun, interesting journey. I enjoyed it greatly!! Thanks for sharing and I apologize for having kept it so long!!

Mailed off today.

Journal Entry 31 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I received this book a while ago. I will get to it as soon as possible. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 32 by rebeccaljames at Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Monday, October 03, 2011

Traveling so about delay.