corner corner Beyond Chocolate

Beyond Chocolate
by Margaret Oertig-Davidson | Travel
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, March 08, 2005

status (set by celestewa): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I have been flicking through this book (well, not this copy exactly) for months, in fact every time I visited the English Orell Fuessli in Zurich! Today, my patience broke and I bought it! I'm planning to open a bookring tomorrow, to celebrate my first week at bookcrossers!

Journal Entry 2 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, March 09, 2005

This is a very excellent book by Margaret Oertig-Davidson, English Language Teacher and more recently a cultural trainer. More details on her @ http://www.campus-institute.ch/DE/Partner.htm
It's split into 4 main sections, each with chapters on various topics.
Section 1: What's it all about
Section 2: Settling in Locally
Section 3: Children & Culture
Section 4: The world of work
Are you a coconut or a peach? The book's main idea is to explain how our culture defines the way we relate and meet people. I won't spoil it, but I'm a peach :-)

Full of real life stories, explanations, and helpful ideas from a selection of mostly Swiss, German, American and English people and it really brings to life cultural differences. Importantly though it gives some meaning and background to the culture. Puts it all into perspective! There's some really interesting stuff on the differences between German, Swiss German and other languages.

A must read if you've just arrived in Switzerland, or even if you've been here years.... If you're interested in european culture generally, specifically German and Anglo-saxon persepctives, then it's also well worth reading!

Journal Entry 3 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Welcome to my first ever Bookring: "Beyond Chocolate – Understanding Swiss Culture"

Member / Location (Ring posted 14 March 2005)
:-) ScottishHoosier / Scotland
:-) sqdancer / Canada
:-) loveamystery / Canada
:-) EMA375 / USA
:-) sadiavt / USA
:-) celestewa / Australia --> Book is here!
:-) Lisagt / Australia
:-) cuteboy / Switzerland
:-) flying-bat / Switzerland
:-) give-me-a-break / Switzerland
:-) sun-beetle / Switzerland
:-) crenhov / Switzerland
:-) KatColorado / Switzerland

Small Print
:-) If you wish to be added to the list, please PM me with your details.
:-) You must be prepared to mail internationally.
:-) The bookring will kick off once we have 5 members.
:-) PM the next person on the list for their address, then send the book.
:-) It's not a race, but please read and send the book on as soon as you can.
:-) Please journal the book once you have received it (so we all know where it is) and again when you have read it (so we know what you thought of it!)
:-) If you're the last person on the list, the book comes back to me.

Journal Entry 4 by ScottishHoosier on Saturday, March 19, 2005

Look what came in the mail: my first bookring book! Thank you, nice-cup-of-tea. I'm looking forward to tucking in!!

Journal Entry 5 by ScottishHoosier on Tuesday, March 29, 2005

I had this book a week before I finally started reading it, and then read it in two days! It was so interesting I didn't want to put it down. I lived in northern Germany for nearly 10 years, so I could really relate to some of the things people had experienced and were saying. It was interesting to see in what ways German Swiss are different from their German cousins, but also from the other ethnic groups within Switzerland.

The author spent some time researching and experiencing the Swiss culture (at least 15 years), exploring why they do the things they do. To a certain extent I had done the same in Germany, so I feel a certain kindredness of spirit, which you might not. However, this woman had the training, education, contacts and talent to act on her explorations, and this book is the result.

I wish you happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by ScottishHoosier on Friday, April 01, 2005

Mailed today to Chris-B.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, April 04, 2005

Received from ScottishHoosier today.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, April 08, 2005

An interesting insight to Swiss culture and an invaluable aid for anyone moving there to live and/or work.

An enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, April 08, 2005

Mailed to kangaroo today!

Journal Entry 10 by kangaroo from Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, April 10, 2005

Arrived yesterday, chocolates and all. Wow! I will be delighted to read this next. :)

Journal Entry 11 by kangaroo from Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, April 16, 2005

Starting as I was from a knowledge base of the country which was at a level of zero, I found this very interesting. Haven't been to Switzerland yet myself, but I will have to remember some of the points when I go there in the future.
The chocolate was an excellent idea! Thank you! I only ate one, but had to stop myself from gobbling them all up!

Journal Entry 12 by kangaroo from Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, May 05, 2005

Apologies for the delay in sending on - had problems with those unreliable PMs. Should go tomorrow.

Journal Entry 13 by catrionamoore from Ellistown, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, May 09, 2005

Arrived safely today thank you kangaroo. Thank you for the chocolates Helen, I did the decent thing and put a rather crushed chocolate out of its misery. The poor thing looked like something heavy had been dropped on it and the decent thing was obviously to eat it. The rest of the chocolates have been hidden away from prying eyes and will be forwarded on with the book in due course.

Journal Entry 14 by catrionamoore from Ellistown, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, June 06, 2005

Swiss culture is quite different from many English speaking cultures and this book is the ideal handbook for an English speaker who plans to live in Switzerland, work for a Swiss company, or just has Swiss friends.

Allegedly most Americans think that Switzerland and Sweden are very similar. Most British people expect Switzerland to be like the rest of Northern Europe, many other nationalities just don’t know what to expect of the Swiss. Before reading Beyond Chocolate my own thoughts were that Switzerland was a bit like Germany, but neutral, with cleaner streets and highly efficient public transport and good chocolate. I didn’t realise that there were clear geographical and linguistic distinctions between German Swiss, French Swiss and Italian Swiss.

From reading Beyond Chocolate I can imagine feeling quite at home in a coconut country being a bit of a coconutty peach myself. Some people may dream of holiday homes or retirement in exotic climes, I’d quite happily plump for Switzerland.

I will forward the book to MrsWren when she returns from holiday.

Journal Entry 15 by catrionamoore from Ellistown, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

This parcel had been sitting on top of my printer patiently waiting to be send so it would arrive for the 12th and yesterday I remembered that I had forgotten it.

Popped in the post this morning, apologies for the delay.

Journal Entry 16 by mrswren from Bristol, not specified not specified on Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Caught a week or so ago on my doorstep !
Been without a computer so sorry this is late.
Now it still has to wait to be read while I finish my current book.........(it's called 'self-discipline'and not my strongest point!)

Journal Entry 17 by mrswren from Bristol, not specified not specified on Sunday, August 14, 2005

Enjoyed it……learnt a lot about the Eng. Which I suppose I knew but had never considered! From a peach……
Will be sending to Caro1 this week

Journal Entry 18 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 26, 2005

Arrived whilst I was away on holiday so wasn't able to journal until now. Looking forward to reading this ( and chocolate tasting!). Thanks for posting mrswren.

Update
Sorry for taking so long to move this along. I actually read it almost straight away, but not having time to make the journal entry, put it away safe so that various human and animal members of the household couldn't get their hands/paws on the chocolates, then promptly forgot about it. Sincere apologies!
I found the book really interesting and loved the insight it gave into cultural differences. It also gave me something to think about with regard to my European friends and acquaintances and how they might view our relationships.

PS I also loved the chocolate!!

Journal Entry 19 by wingrahar109wing from Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 13, 2005

arrived in the post this morning, thank you.
my first task is which of the yummy choccies to choose!

Journal Entry 20 by wingrahar109wing from Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 19, 2005

well, i think i'm a peach with a few coconutty overtones!

a very interesting book, with a few insights on the british as well as the swiss.
having a swiss-german mother, quite a few of the observations rang a bell. i haven't been to switzerland recently, but when i go again i will be looking at things in a new light.

pming seaflower for her address.

Journal Entry 21 by wingrahar109wing from Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 30, 2005

posted to seaflower this afternoon.

Journal Entry 22 by seaflower from Mustasaari, Pohjanmaa Finland on Thursday, January 26, 2006

It seems I forgot to make a note that I received the book Mid-December, which I'm really sorry for forgetting!

As for the book, I loved reading it and it contained lots of interesting information. I haven't worked or lived in Switzerland myself, but I visited a friend who did. I figured this book would be really useful for me anyway, since I studied German at the university and am working as a translator, so knowing about the cultures in the different German speaking countries is important (an interesting). The book was well written and covered so many aspects of life, so thank you to nice-cup-of-tea for sharing the book!

I have PM'ed the next person on the list, and will hopefully be able to send out the book soon/as soon as I receive the next person's address.

Journal Entry 23 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, April 16, 2006

Pmed seaflower today to check on progress of book. Think they may be having trouble getting hold of people to send the book too.....

Journal Entry 24 by sqdancer on Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Book has arrived safe and sound.

Edited to add:
In view of the prior entries, just wanted to add that I responded to sea-flowers PM on January 26 (the day she sent it).
(post mark reads 31.3.2006)

Journal Entry 25 by sqdancer on Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Very interesting book. It is always eye opening to get the perspective of another culture. Oh yeah, I'm mostly a coconut with some peach tendencies in certain situations ;)

Most sincere apologies to all for the delay (especially those after me); I didn't realize that I had this book for so long!!

It is catching a ride to loveamystery in Abbynormal92243's Wishlist Bookbox #2. It should arrive in 4 business days - if you believe the P.O. :)

tracking # 0437 2710 0005 1907

Thanks nice-cup-of-tea for sharing this book and for the wonderful chocolate. Looks like had melted a bit at one point but still tasty.

Journal Entry 26 by loveamystery from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, June 18, 2006

This book arrived a day or two ago along with the sweets. Yum. Thanks sqdancer for sending it. It's next on my TBR list.

Journal Entry 27 by loveamystery from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Finished this book a few days ago and will be mailing it off tomorrow hopefully. There was a lot of useful information in the book and most situations were very thoroughly covered. It would be a great book for anyone planning to move to Switzerland or for someone working there or doing business with a Swiss company. Thanks again nice-cup-of-tea.

Journal Entry 28 by loveamystery from Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, July 19, 2006

This book is now on its way to EMA375 by surface mail. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 29 by EMA375 from Santa Clarita, California USA on Monday, July 24, 2006

Book arrived today but the chocolate didn't do to well! It was 117 degrees here on Saturday so you can only imagine how hot it has been! Thanks for sharing this book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 30 by EMA375 from Santa Clarita, California USA on Sunday, July 30, 2006

Very interesting book! I love reading about cultures. I especially enjoyed this book because I spent some time in Zurich a few years ago. Great stories. Thank you for sharing. I should be able to get this book in the mail in the next day or two.

Journal Entry 31 by sadiavt from Bennington, Vermont USA on Friday, August 04, 2006

"Beyond Chocolate" just arrived as part of a book ring that started last year (05). I hope to get to reading it soon. I am a little confused, as the ring list inside the book did not even have my name on it, but looking at the list on the book page, I think I'll reprint that and send it on, so the next person won't be too confused.

Journal Entry 32 by celestewa from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The book and chocolate has arrived in Australia! I was amazed that both are completely in one piece. My boyfriend is eyeing off the chocolate, so wont last long!