corner corner Lullaby

Lullaby
by Chuck Palahniuk | Literature & Fiction
Registered by jubby of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 2/24/2005

status (set by freelunch): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 24, 2005

Back cover reads:

Carl Streator is a reporter investigating Sudden Infant Death Syndrome for a seof-news feature. After responding to several calls with paramedics, he notices that all the dead children were all read the same poem from the same library book the night before they died. It's a 'culling sound' - an ancient African spell for euthanizing sick or old people. Researching it, he meets a woman who killed her own child with it accidentally. He himself accidentally killed his own wife and child with the same poem twenty years earlier.Together, the man and the woman must find and destroy all copies of this book, and try not to kill every rude sonofabitch that gets in their way. Lullaby is a comedy/drama/tragedy. In that order. It may also be Chuch Palanuk's best book yet.

Journal Entry 2 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 22, 2006

Recently Freelunch contacted me and asked that I trade this book with him.
And I am glad that he did!
His request got me pulling this off my bookshelf, and to finally read it.

And I really did enjoy reading this one too.
Imagine there is a poem in the world that whom ever hears it read will fall asleep, and die peacefully.
This is exactly what happens, only that poem (The Culling Poem) is actually listed in a collected book of poems, and unmarked.
Sadly, many parents read it to their children... and Carl Streator, journalist, and widower realises this - too late for his family though.

And incredible idea, and I greatly enjoyed the arguments and passages about the noise we create to distract ourselves, and the plundering and devastation of natural environments to 'help' mankind.

But, with all of Palahniuk's usual squrmish details and twists. Morals and morality is a judgement call, and it's not always easy to see where one's best interests and intentions will lead.

Thanks for getting me to read this book Freelunch. I hope you enjoy it too.

Journal Entry 3 by jubby at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, October 22, 2006

Released 10 yrs ago (10/22/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sending to Freelunch.

Journal Entry 4 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, October 25, 2006

received today from jubby. thanks very much.

Journal Entry 5 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Thursday, February 22, 2007

what a twisted little tale this is.

my first "real" Palahniuk since I knew the movie adaptation of Fight Club backwards before I read the book. Initially I was confused by the "voice" the book is written in - it reads like an internal monologue and I wasn't sure what was "real" and what was fantasy.

not recommended for the squeamish. I'm already looking forward to my next Palahniuk...

---------------------------------