corner corner The Winners' Enclosure

The Winners' Enclosure
by Annie Caulfield | Travel
Registered by wingawaywithfairieswing of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 22, 2005

status (set by rarsberry): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingawaywithfairieswing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 22, 2005

From amazon.co.uk:
A comical and idiosyncratic account of the author's quest to find her Irish family connections in Australia, where she encounters a wide range of bizarre characters. The result is a snapshot of modern Australia which also sheds light on a past that has its contradictions and complexities.

Not as enjoyable as I'd hoped. Actually found it a bit of a struggle to get through.

Journal Entry 2 by wingawaywithfairieswing at Mars Hill Cafe, Church St in Parramatta, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (2/23/2005 UTC) at Mars Hill Cafe, Church St in Parramatta, New South Wales Australia

To be released at the first-ever Western Sydney Meet-up.

Journal Entry 3 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Picked up at the meetup tonight.

Journal Entry 4 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, March 25, 2005

Picked up from the table at the NZBC Convention welcome. Thought as we've got so many wonderful Australian bookcrossers visiting us this weekend I should read some Australian fiction.

=+=

Journal Entry 5 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, October 17, 2005

Annie Caulfield sets out to trace an ancestor who went (or was sent) to Australia and may or may not have been famous. Instead she discovers an unpleasant side to Australia that isn't part of the beaches and barbecues image so strongly associated with the country. I'd imagine this would make pretty uncomfortable reading to an Australian (it was uncomfortable enough for me at times) - although, thinking about it, the very people who would feel uncomfortable with it are the ones who already recognise the problem and are trying to do something about it - it's the "rednecks", as she describes them, who *should* be embarrassed by this description of themselves, who would probably read it without shame, because they don't see anything wrong with their attitude.

=+=

Journal Entry 6 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, October 29, 2005

Given to lytteltonwitch at this morning's meetup.

=+=

Journal Entry 7 by winglytteltonwitchwing from Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 29, 2005

I really do not need more books to read but had my arm twisted by a cat.

Journal Entry 8 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, July 10, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (7/10/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Clearing out my garage of all the bookcrossing books and they are being given to fellow bookcrossers.

Journal Entry 9 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, July 17, 2009

From a bag of books from lytteltonwitch.

Journal Entry 10 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, July 17, 2009

From a bag of books from lytteltonwitch.

Journal Entry 11 by rarsberry at Cathedral Square - details in notes in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, July 25, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (7/23/2010 UTC) at Cathedral Square - details in notes in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Left in a phonebox near the ANZ bank.