corner corner Walk Across America

Walk Across America
by Peter Jenkins | Religion & Spirituality
Registered by wingkayotewing of Urbana, Illinois USA on 3/28/2005

status (set by kayote): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingkayotewing from Urbana, Illinois USA on Monday, March 28, 2005

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkayotewing at Urbana, Illinois USA on Saturday, July 08, 2017

So registered this, then moved, then life. Finally found it again.

It was...not a bad book to read but I had expected a bit more from it. It clearly was written at a different time, given what he lets his dog do without any serious pushback (A big dog menacing people out of their lunches? And it's amusing?) I am not real impressed with him as a dog owner, but his description of various small towns was interesting. I somehow suspect that if you were to walk a similar path today, the core of the towns would be the same.

It was interesting to see The Farm from a different viewpoint. I'd read the midwifery book that came from an inhabitant there--I think I would be more of Peter's view on the place. Nice to visit, don't think I'd want to live there.

I am not fond of the ending. I realize it's "True" but I didn't need a healthy dose of preaching at the end of at travelogue.

I can't recommend it strongly, but I did enjoy reading it. If you like travels and you like small towns and vignettes of life, you'll probably enjoy it.