corner corner Oxymoronica: Paradoxical Wit & Wisdom From History's Greatest Wordsmiths

Journal Entry 1 by Rutchmather from Rock Island, Illinois USA on Saturday, March 05, 2005

First Edition

From the dust jacket:
ox-y-mor-on-i-ca (OK-se-mor-ON-uh-ca) noun, plural: Any variety of tantalizing, self-contradictory statements or observations that on the surface appear false or illogical, but at a deeper level are true, often profoundly true. See also oxymoron, paradox.

examples:
"Melancholy is the pleasure of being sad." - Victor Hugo
"To lead the people, walk behind them." - Lao-tzu
"You'd be suprised how much it costs to look this cheap." - Dolly Parton

From the back inside cover about Dr. Grothe: ... is a psychologist, marriage counselor, and management consultant. The author of Never Let a Fool Kiss you or a Kiss Fool You, he is a popular speaker and has been interviewed extensively on radio and television on topics from problem bosses to the art of the insult. He lives in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
www.oxymoronica.com

This just sounds like a fun and wonderful book to have handy!

... or to turn loose :) BOOKRAY Time!

As of June 6th, 2005 two individuals signed up for the bookray so it is off to Nebraska first, then over to Australia. If others want to sign up, don't be shy: I'll add your name and the current reader can choose where the book goes next. Last one on the list gets to keep or release it.
Luintaurie - Nebraska Journaled July 31st
catsalive - Sydney Journaled November 11th
glade1 - North Carolina Journaled December 10th

[? questions ?]
JeSuisBelle - Philippines (will ship International)

Journal Entry 2 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Got it today. Thank you. Will read and pass on ASAP.

Journal Entry 3 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Saturday, July 30, 2005

I am half done with this one now and pming the next person. Should be done by sometime tomorrow I hope. Will post again when I finish.

Journal Entry 4 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Sunday, July 31, 2005

Just finished this. It is very interesting. I really enjoyed a lot of the quotes. Thank you for doing this.

Journal Entry 5 by Luintaurien at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA on Friday, September 02, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (9/2/2005 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA

Journal Entry 6 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 31, 2005

I received this today, thanks Rutchmather and Luintaurien. I couldn't stop myself from dipping into it straight away. I can see I'm going to have to get a copy for myself to peruse in the future.

Journal Entry 7 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Friday, November 11, 2005

Very enjoyable. Some of those quotes are worth remembering - I just wish I could. If I see a copy I will buy it. I'll post this to glade1 on Monday.

Posted 15/11/5.

Journal Entry 8 by wingglade1wing from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Monday, November 28, 2005

Received in the mail today. This looks like a fun, quick read. Though I have a number of other bookring books on hand right now, I think I can move this one along pretty quickly. More later...

Journal Entry 9 by wingglade1wing from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Saturday, December 10, 2005

This was an ejoyable read, with lots of humor and insight reflected in the quotations. I especially liked the ones on marriage and family and the chapter on inadvertent oxymoronica (Sam Goldwyn telling Cary Grant to gallop off in all directions is pretty funny, as are most of Yogi Berra's quotes).

I am awaiting a mailing address from JeSuisBelle so I can move this one along.

Journal Entry 10 by sleone from Oakland, California USA on Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Thank you! What a wonderful surprise! You really lit up my day! This will be my tag-along book for reading in lines and doctors' offices.