corner corner Dragonsblood (Dragonriders of Pern)

Dragonsblood (Dragonriders of Pern)
by Todd J. McCaffrey | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingBigKatwing of Bremerton, Washington USA on Thursday, February 10, 2005

status (set by BigKat): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingBigKatwing from Bremerton, Washington USA on Thursday, February 10, 2005

I love the Pern books and wondered if Todd could weave as good a story as his mother Anne. By the time I found myself weeping for the horrendous burden Wind Blossom was forced to bear I realized that he could indeed. In this book the dragons are are dying from a disease and the only available help is 500 years in the past. It was a very interesting weave of past and present and well handled.

Journal Entry 2 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Friday, March 18, 2005

Whee! I look forward to reading this and Dragon's Kin over the weekend.

Journal Entry 3 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Monday, March 21, 2005

Well done, Todd. Your mother is rightly proud of your work. It's been a while since I have been able to enjoy a Pern book, much less two in one weekend! Thanks so much for making this happen, BigKat!

Journal Entry 4 by AnnaLibrarian at Bookring in n/a, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (3/23/2005 UTC) at Bookring in n/a, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to DP31 this morning.

Journal Entry 5 by DP31 from Jacksonville, Illinois USA on Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Received as part of BigKat's 2005 Bookring

Journal Entry 6 by DP31 from Jacksonville, Illinois USA on Friday, April 29, 2005

An interesting mix of the first turn and the turn 400 years later. Dragons have developed a deadly illness and cures are sought in both times. An interesting solution is found. Now on to ThanksMom.

Journal Entry 7 by ThanksMom from Coolidge, Arizona USA on Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The book has made it here. Will read soonest and be ready to send on next week or two. Thanks. More once read.

Journal Entry 8 by ThanksMom from Coolidge, Arizona USA on Thursday, May 12, 2005

I do think the book is up to the standards of some of the originals. Especially the later books mixing modern and survialist times.

I will confess to being disappointed that it hadn't the flare (or the F'lar, LOL) of the first two trilogies that I loved so well.

It is helpful to be a devoted Pern fan or some of the story might not make sense. The dreaded Dolphin Bells (I loathed that book) even helps the reader to understand some actions taken. I disliked a few of the author's techniques (how is it that THE person who knew THE song needed HAPPENED to be where he was? for example) and wasn't overly fond of how the conflict was resolved since Lessa did it so much better!

Overall, I'd say the book was eminently readable but not in the unforgettable list. Glad it is a bookring!

Waiting for the next person to send their address.

Journal Entry 9 by ThanksMom from Coolidge, Arizona USA on Wednesday, May 18, 2005

On to the UK as of today's mail.

Journal Entry 10 by billhookbabe on Saturday, May 21, 2005

Caught this dragon book, looking forward to reading it.Got two books befre it, but htey won't take long.

Journal Entry 11 by billhookbabe on Sunday, June 19, 2005

Taking longer than I thought. I will send on if I don't get to this in the next week.

Journal Entry 12 by billhookbabe on Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Well I finally got to it and then read it in two days. I took a while to get into into it, with all the new names to get my head around. I agree it was all rather too neat main plot but with lots of loose ends left once their usefulness to the story line had ended.

I did enjoy the story though and felt sad for the dragons in all their suffering. Look forward to more by Mr McCaffrey.
I will be sending this on in the next week.

Journal Entry 13 by billhookbabe at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 08, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (8/6/2005 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This book is now on it's way and is going by surface mail, so shopuld take a while.

Journal Entry 14 by Ebumu from Ithaca, New York USA on Tuesday, September 13, 2005

This arrived safely in today's mail after a long voyage by sea. Thanks all! I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 15 by Ebumu from Ithaca, New York USA on Tuesday, October 11, 2005

It's been years since I read all the original Pern books. Could I have been a teenager then? It took me a while to get into this one, I guess because the world had become unfamiliar. I got hung up for a while on the alternation of the chapters between two time periods. I wasn't reading the chapter titles (they have numbers in them!), so it cost me some confusion to figure out what was happening mid way through.

I groaned a bit when I came to the bit about the Pernese genetic code--since I have a lot of genetic training I often experience some eye-rolling when sci fi writers try to get all scientific, but Todd's descriptions of "PNA" weren't too bad (don't look too close!). I confess that I have been much irritated with the author's mom for deciding part way through the series that Thread is spores of an all-devouring mycorrhizal fungus. Since I study fungi this really pisses me off--mycorrhizal fungi make this biome possible--the exact opposite of their bad behavior in McCaffrey's world. And they certainly don't come from outer space.

I wouldn't have guessed this book had been written by anyone other than Anne, so I think that makes Todd a success. It must be pretty daunting to set out to fill your mom's big shoes. I was thinking about that while reading about the difficult relationships of Wind Blossom with her mother and daughter, which sounded quite unlike Todd's views of his own mom. On the whole I think the book works, and I'd read another if it came upon me.

Thanks for the chance to read this, BigKat. Mailed to MollyGrue Oct. 15, by media mail.

Journal Entry 16 by MollyGrue from Tacoma, Washington USA on Thursday, October 27, 2005

I'm looking forward to reading this. Thanks!

Journal Entry 17 by MollyGrue from Tacoma, Washington USA on Monday, December 19, 2005

It's been nearly two months and I haven't started this...which to me is a kind of sign that maybe the next reader would like it looooong before I can get to it. :)

DC# 03022940000169566568

Journal Entry 18 by MollyGrue at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 15, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (1/15/2006 UTC) at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 19 by wingBigKatwing from Bremerton, Washington USA on Monday, February 13, 2006

The book has been safely home from its ring trip for awhile now but it seems I've never had a chance to use the computer to journal that fact. This has been lots of fun and I've had lots of fun seeing what others have thought of a book I had enjoyed. Thank you to all who participated! It's been great.