corner corner Goodbye, Vietnam

Goodbye, Vietnam
by Gloria Whelan | Children's Books
Registered by harmaja of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 2/9/2005

status (set by Margih): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by harmaja from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Removed from the library collection. Will be read, at some point.

Journal Entry 2 by harmaja at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Finally I read Goodbye, Vietnam. It wasn't a particularly brilliant book, but it interested me, because one of my best friends has left Vietnam as a boat refugee, just like the protagonist Mai. Mai's story is grim, but it's told in a rather gentle manner, so Goodbye, Vietnam is probably a suitable read for quite young audience too.

In fact, I almost got the feeling that the narrative was a bit too gentle, in the sense that I didn't really get the feeling that the narrator has ever there to experience all that hardship. Maybe I feel that way because I know Gloria Whelan is not a refugee herself. I know it shouldn't matter, but I keep thinking a book about the same subject, written by someone who had actually experienced the journey, would have been way more authentic.

As it is , Goodbye, Vietnam is not particularly touching, but it's not a bad read either. Maybe a kid will enjoy reading this book!

Journal Entry 3 by harmaja at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (10/11/2011 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I'm bringing this book to the local meet-up tonight.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I spend some wonderful days in Hanoi nine years ago at a tactile picture book work shop. That's why I am interested in reading about Vietnam.
Thank you for the book, Harmaja!
---

Edit April 2012
I finished reading this book on the train to meet-up at Sokos. This is a young girl's point of view to being a boat refugee. It is a real wonder that so many of them survived. The boats were in poor condition and took too many refugees on board.

This book stands for Vietnam in the challenge A Book from Every Country

This is my # 34 (110) in
"REDUCE MOUNT TBR 2012" Challenge arranged by Dove-i-Libri.

This is my # 24 in
"KEEP THEM MOVING 2012" Challenge arranged by Booklady331.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Annelis passed this book on to me at tonight's meet-up, thinking I might enjoy it. Didn't take much persuading ;) Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, October 09, 2015

Well, I have to agree with Harmaja. There's a lack of authencity to the story and as such it isn't quite as touching and engaging as it could be. The characters are two-dimensional and the plot not much to speak of. For young readers, though, there's a lot of information on the struggles of the refugees from Vietnam. That cannot be a bad thing.

***
Next off to Appelsiini!

Journal Entry 7 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Thanks, Annimanni! :)

Journal Entry 8 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, December 26, 2015

This is definitely for younger readers, little too light for my taste. However, it was good to read about Vietnam.

Reserved / Margih

Journal Entry 9 by Margih at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, January 17, 2016

Thanks Appelsiini.