corner corner The Singer not the Song

The Singer not the Song
by Audrey Erskine Lindop | Literature & Fiction
Registered by aussieangel2 of Noranda, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, February 13, 2005

status (set by curdsandwhey): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by aussieangel2 from Noranda, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, February 13, 2005

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

hardcover 1954 book.

Journal Entry 2 by aussieangel2 at Dux Cafe, 71 South Terrace in Como, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, July 23, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (7/23/2005 UTC) at Dux Cafe, 71 South Terrace in Como, Western Australia Australia

Releasing at meetup this morning.

Journal Entry 3 by zenryaku from South Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, July 24, 2005

I'm currently going through a box of books that are from the same era - published in the 1950's. So will add this to this TBR as I am enjoying the style of writing and topics.

Journal Entry 4 by zenryaku from South Perth, Western Australia Australia on Friday, August 19, 2005

From the front cover sleeve (1954 The Reprint Society):

"Miss Lindop has set her exciting and moving novel in Mexico during the 'revolutionary' period of the 1920's and early thirties when Church property was seized and priests were outlawed. The scene is a small mountain town that has little communication with the rest of the country. Here power has been taken over by a ruthless young man who hates the Church and is little better than a bandit. Father Keogh, the resident priest, struggles to prevent his evil corruption of the entire life of the town."

The main protagonists are Father Keogh and Anacleto Gonzalez Flores Comachi Alvarez. Anacleto is known by many other names, including Comachi, Malo, Bad-One-of-the-Cats, Bad One, but I liked Pussyfoot, the name given to him by Sam Frankenson.

The dialogue between Father Keogh and Pussyfoot is engaging, the plot sometimes is complicated but the author guides you through each twist and turn. There are other memorable characters and it was great to read a book where many of them were given some depth.

The book is indeed a psychological thriller and I do hope they never make the book into a film, otherwise they will spoil the ending by making it all work out in the end.

Journal Entry 5 by zenryaku at MillPoint Caffé Bookshop (formerly Bookcaffè) in South Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, August 22, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (8/28/2005 UTC) at MillPoint Caffé Bookshop (formerly Bookcaffè) in South Perth, Western Australia Australia

Journal Entry 6 by celestewa from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, August 28, 2005

Recommended to me at the meetup, so will add to TBR!

Journal Entry 7 by celestewa from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, December 18, 2005

This book finally came to the surface on Mt TBR! It was quite an interesting book. I enjoyed the dialogue between Malo and Father Keogh, but I wanted to murder Locha! I agree the ending was excellent.

An example of dont judge a book by its cover!

Journal Entry 8 by celestewa at Art Gallery of Western Australia in Northbridge, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, January 21, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (1/22/2006 UTC) at Art Gallery of Western Australia in Northbridge, Western Australia Australia

To be released at the Art Gallery Cafe at the Perth BC Meetup, or afterwards in the area close by.

Journal Entry 9 by curdsandwhey from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, January 22, 2006

Picked this up a a loverly meetup yesterday. A movie of this book was played on late, late night abc just recently. Thought I would give it a read. :)