corner corner Dance With The Devil: A Dark-Hunter Novel Book 3

Dance With The Devil: A Dark-Hunter Novel Book 3
by Sherrilyn Kenyon | Romance
Registered by NeedSun of Perth Road, Ontario Canada on 1/26/2005

status (set by NeedSun): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Book Description:

Zarek's Point of View:

Dark-Hunter: A soulless guardian who stands between mankind and those who would see mankind destroyed. Yeah, right. The only part of that Code of Honor I got was eternity and solitude.

Insanity: A condition many say I suffer from after being alone for so long. But I don't suffer from my insanity-I enjoy every minute of it.

Trust: I can't trust anyone...not even myself. The only thing I trust in is my ability to do the wrong thing in any situation and to hurt anyone who gets in my way.

Truth: I endured a lifetime as a Roman slave, and 900 years as an exiled Dark-Hunter. Now I'm tired of enduring. I want the truth about what happened the night I was exiled-I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Astrid (Greek, meaning star): An exceptional woman who can see straight to the truth. Brave and strong, she is a point of light in the darkness. She touches me and I tremble. She smiles and my cold heart shatters.

Zarek: They say even the most damned man can be forgiven. I never believed that until the night Astrid opened her door to me and made this feral beast want to be human again. Made me want to love and be loved. But how can an ex-slave whose soul is owned by a Greek goddess ever dream of touching, let alone holding, a fiery star?

Journal Entry 2 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 27, 2005

Here is a list of all the books in the series. The books are going to be sent out about one month apart. Night Pleasures will be mailed out very soon.

Fantasy Lover (a prequel to the Dark Hunter Series) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Night Play (Book 5 Dark Hunter Series) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Seize the Night (Book 6 Dark Hunter Series) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Sins of the Night (Book 7 Dark Hunter Series) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Unleash the Night (Book 8 Dark Hunter Series) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Here are the participants and mailing order:

Kiki66--->Germany/Int
BooksnBeer-->USA/Int
CheriePie--->USA/Int
WatersideKatt-->Canada

Back to me NeedSun in Canada

Journal Entry 3 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 23, 2005

This wasn't my favorite but it was still a good read.

I will send this on to Kiki as soon as I confirm with her that she still wants it.

Sent: August 26

Journal Entry 4 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Saturday, September 03, 2005

And it's here already!
Thanks NeedSun for mailing... looking forward to read this one.. though I have to admit it makes me kind of sad.. since all these novels take place in New Orleans.. I have been there and I am really shocked of what happened there these days....

Journal Entry 5 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Sunday, September 25, 2005

Well well...
I must say this was the one I liked the least... Zarek is too dark.. his story was gruesome...
Guess I liked Simi best :-)

Will send this one to Austria on Monday...

Journal Entry 6 by kiki66 at BookRing in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Monday, September 26, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (9/26/2005 UTC) at BookRing in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

Now it's Austria's turn to dance with the devil!
Have fun...

Journal Entry 7 by Rianonne from Wien Bezirk 22 - Donaustadt, Wien Austria on Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Book arrived with yesterdays mail. I'm in the middle of another BookRing so it may take some days before I have a date with the devil :-p

Journal Entry 8 by Rianonne from Wien Bezirk 22 - Donaustadt, Wien Austria on Thursday, October 13, 2005

So far, I love all the Dark Hunter books and it's really hard to pick one over another. This one was a bit "darker" then the ones before but I still liked it a lot and couldn't put it down. I especially love the caracter Simi, some of the stuff she does or says gets me laughing out loud.

Journal Entry 9 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The book arrived on Friday, sorry for the late JE! I'm really looking forward to reading this, as i loved Zarek in the previous book! I just need to finish a couple of ring books before I can start...

Journal Entry 10 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, January 13, 2006

I just finished Dance With The Devil a minute ago, and wow, it was definitely my favorite from the series so far! I can't wait to read the next books, which should be in the mail on their way to me right now. :)

I loved both Zarek and Astrid, and it was refreshing to read a different story line. It was great to have a new association to the name Astrid, because one of my teachers in elementary school was called Astrid, and she was very strict and I didn't like her very much. This Astrid was so much nicer. I too liked the demon Simi, and it was great to have more insight into the lives of Acheron and Artemis.

Journal Entry 11 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, January 20, 2006

Sent to Auglaise on Wednesday, Jan 18.

Before sending the book on, I read the short story at the back of the book. A Dark-Hunter Christmas was a nice feel-good story, different from Sherrilyn Kenyon's regular stories. Chronologically it was set between Night Pleasures and Night Embrace. She introduced a new dark-hunter, Gallagher, and we got to see a different side of Acheron again!

Journal Entry 12 by Auglaise from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, January 29, 2006

Received last week, but didn't have time to journal!

Journal Entry 13 by cathepsut from Metzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, May 14, 2006

Arrived today. Book no. 3 of the Dark Hunter series, dang! So I guess I'll wait for books 1 and 2, which should hopefully be on the way, if that's ok....

Journal Entry 14 by cathepsut from Metzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, July 07, 2006

Just a little update, this book is not forgotten. It was a little wait, until I had books #1 and #2 in my hands... I have just finished Night Embrace, so I will get to this one here right away.

Journal Entry 15 by cathepsut from Metzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, July 22, 2006

Synopsis from Amazon:
"Zarek is the most dangerous of all the Dark-Hunters. He endured a lifetime as a Roman slave and centuries as a Dark-Hunter in exile. Zarek trusts no one. Because of his steadfast denial to follow any orders, he is kept in isolation in Alaska where his activity is seriously limited and closely monitored. There are many who fear he will one day unleash his powers against humans as well as vampires. Have nine hundred hears of exile made Zarek too vicious to be redeemed? The gods want Zarek dead but reluctantly agree to allow justice goddess Astrid to judge him. Astrid has never yet judged a man innocent, and yet there is something about Zarek that tugs at her heart. He views even the smallest act of kindness with shock and suspicion. But while Astrid struggles to maintain her impartiality in the face of her growing attraction to Zarek, an executioner has already been dispatched... "

Out of the three Dark Hunter novels I have read so far, I like this one best. There is actually something resembling a story line. But again, too much fluff. All the characters have the maturity and mental depth of teenagers. I think there are 2 more of them on the way to me, but I give up. I just find the characters and the minimalistic plot too annoying to make my way through any more instalments. Sorry, not for me.

I can't make up my mind, how to rate this. 7 out of 10, because it had a more interesting storyline? 4 out of 10, because I think it is barely worth reading? You'll just have to decide for yourself...
My book #34 in 2006, first published in 2003; 343 pages.

Journal Entry 16 by cathepsut at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 24, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (7/25/2006 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Just received the address, off to the US tomorrow morning....

Journal Entry 17 by BooksnBeer from Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, August 07, 2006

Received this safe and sound in today's mail. Wow - that got here really quick, all the way from Cairo. I have two bookrings in front of this and I believe book #1 and #2 in the series are also on the way to me. I can't wait to start this series. I almost gave up on this bookring - it shows you - don't give up.

Journal Entry 18 by BooksnBeer from Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, September 18, 2006

I just finished this one - I am really enjoying this series. It really helped that I read it in two seatings. The books are not really deep and you do have to take a few leaps of faith - but, the book is entertaining and afterall, that is why I read. I agree this was a little darker than the last three and that is why I enjoyed it more. It presented more of a reason to turn into a Dark-Hunter.

I will be sending books #1 - 4 along after I finish the next.

Journal Entry 19 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The first four books of the Dark Hunter series (not counting Fantasy Lover which I already read) arrived with me yesterday. I need to squeeze them into my extremely long owed TBR pile so I probably won't read and send them on all together. I notice they're all due to go to CdnBlueRose after me, which works out well because I've got another owed book I need to read and send off to her anyway.

Journal Entry 20 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Monday, September 15, 2008

When it comes to paranormal books, I normally don't go in too much for the ones that are too heavy on the romance. Normally you'd expect this series to fall in that category, but the whole backstory with the Gods and Goddesses has gotten me totally hooked in!

Kenyon's 4th Dark-Hunter book (counting Fantasy Lover as book one) tells the full story of Dark-Hunter Zarek, who's been banished to the far reaches of Alaska. Zarek first appeared in the previous book, Night Embrace, when he was called to New Orleans to help out with the overabundance of Daimons that always infiltrate the city during the annual Mardi Gras celebration.

Unfortunately, Zarek's life hangs by a thread. The Goddess Artemis, creator of all the Dark-Hunters, wants him dead and has sent her executioner Thanatos to hunt him down and kill him. Zarek's sour disposition towards everyone around him—and towards life in general—hasn't helped his situation any. It seems that only Acheron, the firstborn Dark-Hunter and leader of their kind, truly understands his plight and is able to see the good that lies dormant within Zarek. In a final attempt to spare Zarek's life, Acheron requests that he be judged by Themis, and agrees to be bound by whatever decision the judge comes to. If deemed that Zarek poses a danger to society, then he will agree to the Dark-Hunter's death.

Now it is Astrid—daugher of Themis and sister to the Three Fates—who must determine Zarek's fate. Astrid, who herself has begun to feel despondent and emotionally bankrupt, and has never before proclaimed anyone innocent in the history of the world. Is he beyond redemption? Or can he be saved by the hand of Fate... or the heart of an impartial judge?

This is now reserved for WatersideKatt, who's up next in the ring. I'm planning to hold it for the next book as well and send both together so it'll be waiting here for just a wee bit longer. (If I have a pkg going out to you first though Joanne, I may just include it with that. Will play it by ear.)

Journal Entry 21 by CheriePie at Aurora, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 09, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/9/2009 UTC) at Aurora, Ontario Canada

Package of 5 books mailed to a Joanne (NeedSun) on 09-Feb-2009 via USPS First Class International Mail.

Joanne, this bookring book is actually scheduled for WatersideKatt next, but since I had a package ready for you before having the 2nd book for her, I'm including it in your package instead for you to hand over to her directly. I hope that's okay. :)

Journal Entry 22 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 19, 2009

Home safe and sound. Thank you everyone for getting this book home to me.

Journal Entry 23 by WatersideKatt from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 12, 2009

Received book from NeedSun.

Journal Entry 24 by WatersideKatt from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 04, 2009

I found this book a bit hard to get in to, but then I did enjoy it enough to finish it.

Journal Entry 25 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Thursday, November 26, 2009

Home again and I am putting on bookmooch.

Journal Entry 26 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 02, 2009

sent by surface mail to Angelo (United Kingdom) from bookmooch