corner corner Well , Duh!: Our Stupid World, and Welcome to It

Well , Duh!: Our Stupid World, and Welcome to It
by Bob Fenster | Humor
Registered by EllyMae58 of San Diego, California USA on 1/17/2005

status (set by CasualReader): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Monday, January 17, 2005

In a world of bumbling idiots, stupidity is a growth industry. One smart strategy is to laugh at it all with this outrageous collection of hilarious tales about the stupid things people do in every field of human activity. Bob Fenster has combed the world of the intellectually challenged searching for tales of stupidity to entertain us with...and he's hit the jackpot with Well, Duh! Our Stupid World, and Welcome to It.

Consider these examples: When McDonald's opened its first franchise in Russia, the American bosses insisted that the Russian counter help smile at the customers. Russian customers were outraged at the McGreeting, insulted, and ready to fight - because in Russia smiling at strangers means you are making fun of them. How did Mickey D solve the problem? They hired official Smile Explainers to shout into bullhorns at customers in line: "When you reach the counter, you will be smiled at. This does not mean we are making fun of you."

What does a parent with a big ego do when his kid's shelf piles up with soccer trophies, Little League trophies, and swim trophies? According to a woman who runs a California trophy-making business, the proud dad (proud of himself, anyway) orders her to make up some old-looking trophies with his name on them so he can regain household bragging rights.

Journal Entry 2 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Monday, January 17, 2005

Another book shared with me by a friend. I've skimmed through it, and there are some gems of stupidity in here. :) And I know just the person to give this to!

Journal Entry 3 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Sending this to a super-duper BookCrosser as a surprise. Thanks for all you do!

To be mailed 1/20.

Journal Entry 4 by CasualReader on Friday, January 28, 2005

Wow, what a great surprise!

Yep, this looks to be my kind of book.

Thanks El!