corner corner Blink : The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Blink : The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
by Malcolm Gladwell | Nonfiction
Registered by Dreamer2 of Derwood, Maryland USA on 1/17/2005

status (set by hobbit): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by Dreamer2 from Derwood, Maryland USA on Monday, January 17, 2005

A colleague gave this to me after he received it as a free gift from Delta Airlines. And many months later, I finally got around to reading it -- but only because my church book group was going to discuss it and I figured I might as well. But, it was surprisingly interesting. Lots of food for thought and discussion!

Journal Entry 2 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Thanks so much for the RABCK Dreamer2. I am looking forward to reading this soon, as I really enjoyed reading Gladwell's The Tipping Point

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 18, 2008

I had high hopes for this book after having thoroughly enjoyed The Tipping Point, and I can say that I was not disappointed by this book. This book brought up many interesting tidbits, and gave me more than one occasion for a bit of introspection. It was particularly disheartening to try the online Race IAT (Implicit Association Test) referenced in this book and not be able to affect the test outcome despite knowing what the test was measuring. I guess it goes to show that we humans really are a product of our environment...

I am setting this aside as a surprise RABCK for a fellow BookObsessor

Journal Entry 4 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 02, 2008

Dropping this in the mail today.

Journal Entry 5 by hobbit from Barnes, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, February 06, 2008

This arrived in my mail today. What a wonderful surprise!! Thanks so much, brewski!

I've been having a rough week and this was just what I needed. I also read The Tipping Point and found it fascinating. I couldn't resist skimming through a bit of this although I'm in the middle of 2 other books that I want to get finished - it looks very interesting, and I was already mentioning it to a friend over dinner tonight!

Journal Entry 6 by hobbit from Barnes, Wisconsin USA on Monday, February 25, 2008

I've now finished this and thought it was very interesting. Lots of food for thought in here about how we make decisions on more than one level, how our subconscious is sometimes smarter than our conscious decision-making, how we may attribute things to ESP or other portents, ...

I've already had cause to mention it in conversations a half dozen times. I'm going to put it onto my shelf for now, as I think I'll want to go back to it and ponder some more. Then I'll find a way to pass it on.