corner corner Eats, Shites & Leaves

by A. Parody | Other
Registered by MyopicMeringue on Saturday, January 15, 2005

status (set by Luintaurien): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by MyopicMeringue on Saturday, January 15, 2005

This was obviously written as a humorous rejoinder to Lynne Truss's 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves,' but it isn't really, strictly speaking, a parody - apart from in the title and the cover art. It's more a collection of examples of the eccentricities, illogicalities and ambiguities of the English language, showing how the English language can be open to misinterpretation even with strictly correct grammar. An entertaining read. I'm going to make it into a bookray.

Journal Entry 2 by MyopicMeringue on Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I am sending this book on a bookray. Here is the list of participants in shipping order (subject to change):

1. dodau (UK)
17. PepperVL (US)
18. Luintaurien (US)
19. Cyzaki (UK)

Journal Entry 3 by MyopicMeringue on Monday, May 16, 2005

Posted to dodau today. Apologies for the delay.

Journal Entry 4 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Arrived safely this morning. Will read after the book I'm on now.

Journal Entry 5 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 20, 2005

This is basicaly a book of lists demonstating the usage of crap english. Dan Quayle seems to be in it a lot. Anyway most of the it is quite amusing but not laugh out loud.

Journal Entry 6 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Monday, May 30, 2005

The book arrived today. Looks really interesting :-) Will start reading it straight away.

Journal Entry 7 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Some examples were funny enough to make me laugh out loud. And I did learn new things about the English language that I didn't know before. Looks like it is not only politicians who use crap English; the world of sports is also full of it.

Will be sending it hank-chinaski later this week, have already the addy.

Journal Entry 8 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Posted today to hank-chinaski. Viel Spass beim Lesen!

Journal Entry 9 by hank-chinaski from Bielefeld, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, June 05, 2005

Came with the mail yesterday and ran right into my ring jam. I'll do my very best, though.

Journal Entry 10 by hank-chinaski from Bielefeld, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, July 29, 2005

Finished it alright. Although MM's opening journal should have warned me, I must confess I'm a bit disappointed. The subtitle leads one to expect something like a satirical guide to the misuse of the English language, but there's hardly any narrative text, just a sample of funny misspellings, slips of the tongue etc. It did give me some good laughs, but it's nothing compared to Lynn Truss's book (which BTW isn't even mentioned, even though they stole the title from it...).

Automatic washing machines: Please remove all your clothes when the light goes out.

The patient states there is a burning pain in his penis which goes to his feet.

Will be handed over to Sheepseeker tomorrow.

Journal Entry 11 by Sheepseeker from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, July 30, 2005

Handed over to me almost ;-) in person, thank's a lot! Will be next on Mount TBR...
____

Well, I think it was a funny read, maybe because I didn't have any expectations in advance. I read it during my lunchbreak which was a bit anoying for my colleague and fellow bookcrosser Suzanne4Books, since I was giggling constantly.

Thank's for launching this bookring, MM. I've already got hatter's address so the book will be on its way to Australia on Friday.
________

3. October: As I just dicovered, the book still hasn't been journaled. I will PM hatter asap and find out it...

Journal Entry 12 by hatter from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Poor sheepseeker sent this book to me ages ago and it has only just turned up. Well, strictly speaking it arrived last week, but I have only just got home to pick up the post myself. I shall try to read quickly and get the bookray moving once again.

Journal Entry 13 by hatter from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I enjoyed this book and it did make me laugh out loud. I would have to say that I got more out of Lynn Truss's book, but they were completely different ventures really.

I've had some trouble trying to find the next bookcrosser on the list who is ready to receive 'Eats, Shites & Leaves'. sqdancer, therubycanary and CdnBlueRose all asked to be skipped, so it is on it's way to lucky mrsordonez!

Journal Entry 14 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Saturday, February 25, 2006

It has arrived from across the ocean! I'll most likely get through this one quickly, as it looks like one I can read in bits and pieces at work. I had a coworker offer to lend this one to me, but passed on the offer, having faith in the bookring system. Yay! Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 15 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, March 05, 2006

I was pretty disappointed in this book. In addition to the clear UK slant on English, it felt like a bunch of email forwards just stuck together between a hard cover. It was hard for me to tell when the author was trying to educate and when he was just making fun of misuses of English. The correct English (like the difference between accept/except) I already knew, and I didn't find most of the misuse very amusing. I'll be sending this out to ThanksMom next time I get to the post office.

Journal Entry 16 by ThanksMom from Coolidge, Arizona USA on Tuesday, March 14, 2006

just arrived today, will get reading tonight. Thanks

Journal Entry 17 by ThanksMom from Coolidge, Arizona USA on Thursday, March 23, 2006

I think this is more of a companion volume to "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" instead of a parody. The lists in the book show up regularly in emails and Bookcrossing Chit-Chat Forum posts, LOL. I don't know how much to trust all the lists, how much effort the author(s) put into varification of the 'facts' listed. Cute read regardless.

Sent off via Media Mail to silverstarry

Journal Entry 18 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Thursday, April 06, 2006

Just received this today - can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 19 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Monday, April 10, 2006

This wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. As much as I love proper grammar, this book ended up being a bunch of lists that became less and less humorous the longer I read. I did appreciate some of the British dialect translations and some of the funny quotes. One of my favorites by Dr. Frasier Crane: "It's like correcting people's grammar - I don't do it to be popular."

Thanks so much to MyopicMeringue for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 20 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Friday, April 14, 2006

Sent to Bunnybee today!

DC#: 0304 1070 0002 4159 6521

Per USPS.com, book was delivered 4/17/06.

Journal Entry 21 by Bunnybee from Amarillo, Texas USA on Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Received this yesterday! It looks like it'll be HILARIOUS! I have a feeling it'll be more enjoyable than the original book. ;-) I have one more bookray to read before this one.

Thanks for sharing the book, MM!

Journal Entry 22 by Bunnybee from Amarillo, Texas USA on Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Yikes- I thought I had sent this out forever ago! But I just found it in my house! OMG!

Anyway, Urushiol is not an existing BCer; I PMed PepperVL tonight. I hope to get this moving again- sorry that it's been camped out with me for all this time!

*******************
Edited to update: PepperVL asked to be skipped; in the meantime I also found out that "Urushiol" is now "MadameUrushiol" and she wants to read it, so the book is off to her next!

Journal Entry 23 by Bunnybee from Amarillo, Texas USA on Friday, February 02, 2007

The book does have its rolling-funny spots, and some that are not. But I found it all entertaining and to a point, educational too. I love puns and things that play on words, so I enjoyed this book, even though I was more in the mood for literature at the time.

Again, sorry for the HUGE delay in the ray, with the book vacationing at my house for so long! Thanks for being so understanding, MM! But today it was finally mailed out via media mail to MadameUrushiol. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by MadameUrushiol from Milford, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Arrived in Arkansas today; looks like it'll be great fun.

Journal Entry 25 by MadameUrushiol from Milford, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Lots of laughs contained within! Mokona asked to be skipped, so I'm shipping it off to Wiley90 this week.

Journal Entry 26 by Wiley90 from Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, June 07, 2007

It arrived today. I will get right to it.

Journal Entry 27 by Wiley90 from Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I will get this in the mail to melydia tomorrow.

Journal Entry 28 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 16, 2007

This arrived in today's mail. I'm in the middle of another book right now but I'll start it as soon as I'm done. Thanks!

Journal Entry 29 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Clever, but it would have been better had I not already seen most of the material in Anguished English and forwarded emails. Still, it was a nice little read and I enjoyed learning about the origins of certain cliches. Took me all of a day to read.

Thanks for sharing this one. As soon as I get the address of the next person, I'll send it right off.

Journal Entry 30 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, June 26, 2007

PepperVL asked to be skipped and Luintaurien never responded, so I'm mailing this off to Cyzaki as soon as I can get to the post office (hopefully this weekend). Enjoy!

Edit 29 June 07: Mailed it off this afternoon.

Journal Entry 31 by Cyzaki from Enfield, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, July 05, 2007

This came through the letterbox this morning, looks like a quick read so I'm sure I can get it passed on to Luintaurien soon.

Journal Entry 32 by Cyzaki from Enfield, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, July 09, 2007

I was quite disappointed by this book, it wasn't as funny as it could have been. I think it would have been much more amusing had it just contained quotes from celebrities and books/newspapers/magazines showing use of bad English, rather than all the other sections.

Posting to Luintaurien soon.

Journal Entry 33 by Cyzaki from Enfield, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Posting to Luintaurien.

Journal Entry 34 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Monday, November 05, 2007

Got this a couple weeks ago. Thank you.