corner corner The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch)

The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch)
by Caroll Spinney | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by luvtink81 of Wichita, Kansas USA on 1/11/2005

status (set by ladyveg): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by luvtink81 from Wichita, Kansas USA on Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I really fast and fun read. I highly recommend to anybody who has loved or does love Sesame Street.

*Reserved for BigBird2002

Journal Entry 2 by BigBird2002 from Mesa, Arizona USA on Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Arrived in the mail. Thank you!

Journal Entry 3 by BigBird2002 from Mesa, Arizona USA on Saturday, April 02, 2005

I REALLY loved this book. It was facinating to me to read about the person who plays one of my all time favorite characters in the world- Big Bird. I love Sesame Street and appreciate all it has to offer. This was a great book as well as a quick read.

I am passing this book on to fizzfred who had it on her wish list.

Journal Entry 4 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Friday, April 15, 2005

Oh, thank you so much BigBird2002! I really look forward to reading this. I will probably get right to it and journal again soon.

Journal Entry 5 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Saturday, May 21, 2005

I loved this book so much. It makes the world a better place just to know people like this are in it. Really the whole gang involved with Sesame Street seem like wonderful people. I'm going to have a very hard time letting this one go, but I think I'll send it on in a bookray so others can enjoy it as much as we all did. :) Thank you so much, luvtink81 for starting this book's journey. And thank you BigBird2002 for letting the book find me.

Journal Entry 6 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Saturday, May 28, 2005

I'm going to send this little treasure on a bookray. Anyone who has enjoyed Sesame Street should read this book! :) Please ship in this order...
rooshill (CA, USA)
amoebastar (MI, USA)*
sabeena29 (MA, USA)*
dschinny (Germany)
Hellie (England)

* = thank you for helping make this an international ray!

Thank you all for helping make this ray successful!!!

Journal Entry 7 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Friday, June 03, 2005

Lucky book, to show up on a Friday! That means I can start it today while the baby sleeps!

Journal Entry 8 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Saturday, June 04, 2005

A very quick read, and enjoyable, but not quite what I had expected. Perhaps my standard is set unusually high at present (I just finished a great little inspirational tale) but I had thought the title indicated either great humor, or great lessons on life. I was a bit disappointed on both counts.
It was, however, very helpful in understanding more about puppetry and the world of working with Jim Henson, a man I have always admired and been fascinated with.
Thank you for the great little bookmarks fizzfred - you have quite a talent for them. I still have the mermaid one from before.

Book is off to silverstarry on Monday.

Journal Entry 9 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Friday, June 10, 2005

Just received this in the mail - can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 10 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Saturday, June 11, 2005

This is a wonderful book written by Caroll Spinney, who plays Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch on Sesame Street. He discusses his pre-Big Bird life, how he became involved with Sesame Street, and how playing Big Bird has afforded him the opportunity to go to China, meet six Presidents, conduct orchestras, and work with Jim Henson. His anecdotes are interspersed throughout the book, which stresses how fortunate he is to do something he loves. He encourages the reader to believe in dreams (without becoming preachy, I might add!). I read Sesame Street Unpaved a few years ago, and this book complemented it nicely.

Thank you so much to fizzfred for sharing this book! I love the beautiful bookmarks!

Journal Entry 11 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Mailed to vannessave today!

DC# 0304 1070 0002 4158 7789

Journal Entry 12 by vannessave from Los Angeles, California USA on Friday, June 17, 2005

June 17:Received in mail today! Can't wait to start but will probably have to wait until tomorrow while my son is volunteering at the library! Glad it made it here...

06/21/2005: Just finished the book. I loved reading it. I loved the quotes at the beginning (some will definitely pop up in my signatures). I grew up with Sesame Street and always had affection for Big Bird. I remember taking my son to his first Sesame Street Stage Show and I fell in love with Sesame Street characters all over again. So this book will now make the third time my love for SS has been revived. Thanks for sharing it with us. I am amazed at all of the books that I never realize are out there. Will pm the next person now

Journal Entry 13 by vannessave from Los Angeles, California USA on Saturday, June 25, 2005

Was finally able to make it to the post office today (and no long lines to make one use up their lunchtime) Anyway, it is on its way to AFFINITY4BOOKS...

May it have a safe journey and keep spreading joy and memories

DC#0303 2460 0002 1508 4310

Journal Entry 14 by affinity4books from Bryan, Texas USA on Thursday, June 30, 2005

Received today, just in time for the long weekend! Great bookmarks :)

Journal Entry 15 by affinity4books from Bryan, Texas USA on Friday, July 08, 2005

This was a quick, light read. I liked how the chapters were pretty self-contained and it was interesting to understand how the puppets actually work. I agree with rooshill that it was neither incredibly inspiring or funny. In several instances I wanted to hear more details about one situation before he moved on to the next. However, it was an enjoyable read. I especially liked the stories about how he met his wife and how the puppets evolved over time. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 16 by affinity4books at Bookray in By Mail, BookCrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 08, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (7/8/2005 UTC) at Bookray in By Mail, BookCrosser -- Controlled Releases

mailed off to Canada, they said it would take 4-6 days

Journal Entry 17 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Big Bird landed in Toronto today! Silly bird, it was probably cooler in Texas than it is here today!!

I am looking forward to this one! I have always loved Sesame Street and especially the goofy yellow bird!

Journal Entry 18 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 07, 2005

All done! I enjoyed this little book, not only for the inside story, most of which I knew nothing about, but also for its gentle wisdom and humour.

Big Bird will be flying west tomorrow morning. Thanks for allowing me to be part of this bookring!

Journal Entry 19 by ghaweyn from Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Tuesday, August 16, 2005

I got this in the mail today. I will read it soon.

Journal Entry 20 by ghaweyn from Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Friday, September 09, 2005

I finished this book on Wednesday and mailed it the same day. I really enjoyed the stories about Big Bird and learn about the development of his character. I truly enjoy Sesame Street. I watched it religiously until I was thirteen and now I watch it occasionally on tv now that I am 30. I know my future children will grow up on it also. Now I want to read a book about Jim Henson himself.

Journal Entry 21 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, September 12, 2005

What a lovely book - it arrived in great condition. The bookmarks are adorable. I'll PM the next person now so I can read it and send it on ASAP.

Journal Entry 22 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Thursday, September 15, 2005

Like some of the other ring members, this wasn't what I expected. The pithy title and clever chapter headings - which I suspect were part of J. Milligan's contributions - made me think this would be a sort of "great life wisdoms" book, ala the Tao of Pooh.

It isn't. But as the book progressed, I soon fell in love with Spinney's simple, rambling style. He's like listening to somebody's grandfather or that sweet, old professor we all had who was more interesting in story telling than lecturing. I'm really glad that Milligan didn't change his style - and it's clear to me, as a writer, that it's Spinney's own words. And I had no idea one man played Big Bird! I adore Big Bird, especially now that I have a toddler who watches Sesame Street, and my favorite aspect of him is his compassion, so I really appreciate that Spinney added that to Big Bird. I never thought about it - I assumed it was part of his character and he was "written" that way - but I'm so grateful Spinney just added the compassion. Spinney must be a very sweet person, and he's obviously one of those rare adults who manages to hold onto the best of aspects of being a child.

It was also interesting to read about Jim Henson and others who worked on the Muppets and Sesame Street.

My only "complaint?" I was hoping for more of Oscar!

I have the address of the next person and will get it in the mail either tomorrow or this weekend!

And THANK YOU for sharing it!

Journal Entry 23 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Put in mail to amoebastar today.

Journal Entry 24 by YDO-379482 on Sunday, October 02, 2005

Received the book Thursday, Sep. 29 in the mail. Thanks!

I am finishing up a read... about 3/4 of the way done (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1582344280/102-1596025-6903351?v=glance)
but should be starting on this one soon. Regards!

Journal Entry 25 by YDO-379482 at N/A in ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, November 13, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (11/11/2005 UTC) at N/A in ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Released via mail to a PaperBackSwap.com member. Enjoy it thoroughly!

Journal Entry 26 by sabeena29 from not specified, not specified not specified on Friday, November 18, 2005

received today- plan to start this weekend- I'm almost finished reading another ring book- thanks for offering this book- I'm still a fan of Sesame Street even at age 35!

Journal Entry 27 by sabeena29 from not specified, not specified not specified on Thursday, November 24, 2005

This was a great read- it was wonderful to get a glimpse behind the scenes of Sesame Street and learn about the man inside Big Bird and Oscar- wished there was more about Oscar and more about Jim Henson. Would love to find and read more books about Sesame and the Muppets. sending off to the next ray participant (dschinny) in the next day or two. Thanks fizzfred for offering this book.

Journal Entry 28 by wingdschinnywing from Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Thursday, January 12, 2006

Arrived yesterday! Thank you! Has to queue a bit though...

Journal Entry 29 by wingdschinnywing from Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Sunday, January 22, 2006

I agree with rooshill as well, I expected something different. But it was very intersting to learn how the puppets are worked and about the early stages of Spinney's career. It makes me want to watch the old Sesame Street series again I know from early childhood. At one point Germany got an own version with different characters but I still remember Big Bird (Bibo in German), Oscar, Mr. Hooper (Herr Huber), Gordon, Bob and Susan.

The book will travel on to Hellie soon.
Will be on its way on Monday 13.2.06.

Journal Entry 30 by Hellie from South Shields, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, February 25, 2006

How odd - this book was awaiting me when I arrived home form a 4 day break in Germany!!!...Berlin...a city I'd recommend to anyone. Started to read yesterday at the docs whilst awaiting a blood test - kept me entertained and distracted. More when finished.
Thanks all!

Journal Entry 31 by Hellie at Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, March 09, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (3/9/2006 UTC) at Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

at meet upstairs.

I absolutely LOVED this book....
it wasn't quite what In expected, the lessons were very subtle - mainly throiugh the wonderful array of pre chapter quotes...many of which struck a chord with me. I loved the style of this book and almost envy Carroll and Jim hanmson having jobs they have loved so much.

Journal Entry 32 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, March 09, 2006

caught at meet up, going on TBR

Journal Entry 33 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 28, 2006

This is a wonderful gentle book of wisdom, the messages in each chapter match the titlesand the quotes, but not in an in your face way. This man has had a good life, doing what he loves. I only wish I had that strength of vision. Several chapters made me pause, and whatever happens I feel richer for reading this book.
It'll go back at the next meet up.

Journal Entry 34 by suedo at Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, April 13, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (4/13/2006 UTC) at Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

at the meet up

Journal Entry 35 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 14, 2006

Picked up at last night's excellent Newcastle BookCrossing meet.

Journal Entry 36 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Whilst not particularly doing what the title tells us (delving into the wisdom of Big Bird etc), it's still an interesting book - pretty much Carroll Spinney's autobiography. The insights into his work on Sesame Street, as well as the world of Jim Henson, are good to read.

Journal Entry 37 by ladyveg from Baraboo, Wisconsin USA on Friday, February 29, 2008

I loved this book. Short and sweet, but very interesting, especially if you grew up watching Sesame Street. Thank you so much for sending it to me!