corner corner The Amulet of Samarkand (The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 1)

The Amulet of Samarkand (The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 1)
by Jonathan Stroud | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by meranis of Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on 12/29/2004

status (set by Montag72): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by meranis from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Amazon.co.uk Review

Author Jonathan Stroud delivers such a potent and unforgettable mix of magic, history and intrigue with The Amulet of Samarkand, the first part of his compelling Bartimaeus Trilogy, that it is difficult not to want to read the next novel immediately. Undoubtedly the shortest 480 pages you'll ever read, The Amulet of Samarkand is a superb novel of revenge and adventure with the most original central character for years.
Bartimaeus is a wisecracking Djinni (pronounced "Jinnee" we're reliably informed) unlike no other. Summoned from some otherworldly place to do the bidding of a pipsqueak trainee magician called Nathaniel, he sets about his given task reluctantly but with aplomb. Nathanial is after revenge and that makes him dangerous. Previously humiliated by a powerful magician called Simon Lovelace in front of his impotent master, Nathanial has spent every waking hour for years cramming knowledge of the highest magic into his head so that he can exact his own special kind of vengeance.

Bartimaeus is charged to steal a precious and powerful object--the Amulet of Samarkand--from Lovelace's residence, which the Djinni achieves but not without angering a few old mates on the same astral plane and having to spend the night annoyingly disguised as a bird. Bartimaeus, despite being bound to Nathaniel, discovers the boy's real name--a tool he can use to his own advantage. But he is constantly outwitted. Then an overriding danger becomes apparent that threatens the whole fabric of society and they must work together to combat it.

Stroud's fantasy world is familiar, yet fascinatingly different. It's almost Victorian London, yet Magicians hold overall power and inhabit parliament. The writing is captivating, the story intelligent and mesmerising. It's difficult to imagine a more scintillating collection of characters and situations. Unmissable.

--------------

The best book I've read this year. Gripping and delicious. NOT TO MISS!.

Journal Entry 2 by meranis from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Wednesday, December 29, 2004

APUNTADOS AL BOOKRING

1. Akan/Carax (Barcelona)
2. mirlotus (Rivas-Vaciamadrid, Madrid)
3. salvo (Sant Cugat, BCN)

4. Montag72 (Santander/Asturias) --> 29.11.05
5. Aliena04 (Zaragoza)

Journal Entry 3 by meranis from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Wednesday, January 05, 2005

El 11 de Enero se lo pasaré a akan en el mitap de Barcelona y empezará el BRing.

Journal Entry 4 by akan from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Thursday, January 13, 2005

Yo me esperaba el tipico libro infantil, pero esto es una señora novela ¡¡¡
Lo intercalaré con otras lecturas , pues mi inglés no es muy fluído y no me quisiera agobiar . A ver si consigo leérmelo todo , todito . ¿¿¿tenía qe hacer la entry en inglés ????

well , Meranis started that bookring. I'm learning English and i think so reading it is a good way to practise that language . I hop i'll enjoy it .

Journal Entry 5 by Carax from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Thursday, January 27, 2005

Akan didn't feel able to read the book, so she passed it to me. I'll take her place in the list. Meranis: hope you don't mind the swapping! I'm already on it

Journal Entry 6 by Carax from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Why do some books have the popularity and the acknowledgement of readers and other books don't? For "The amulet..." is as good as any of the Harry Potter's saga, if not better.
Very funny and gripping, with a clever plot and hilarious dialogs and footnotes.
Meranis, you're right: not to miss it! Looking forward the second part!

Journal Entry 7 by Carax from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Monday, February 07, 2005

getting in touch with Aliena04 to keep the ring going

Journal Entry 8 by Carax from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Sent to Mirlotus last week. Hope she got it!

Journal Entry 9 by mirlotus from Rivas-Vaciamadrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, March 03, 2005

Carax, recibido!!! perdon por el retraso pero con tanto trabajo no habia tenido tiempo de ir a correos. hoy mismo me pongo a leerlo.
Gracias

Journal Entry 10 by mirlotus from Rivas-Vaciamadrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Hoy mismo sale para Barcelona, para Salvo. Espero que te guste

Journal Entry 11 by Salvo from Sant Cugat del Vallès, Barcelona Spain on Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Caught yesterday in the mail office! Thanks, mirlotus!

I hope to read it soon! It won't be an easy work, my English isn't very good, but I'll try it! And if the book is as good as you're saying here, it will pay for the effort!

Journal Entry 12 by Salvo from Sant Cugat del Vallès, Barcelona Spain on Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I'm sorry for retaining the book all that time! I received it when I was on exams, I left it to be read a few weeks later... and I forgot it!

I've sent it to Montag72 this morning. Enjoy it!

Journal Entry 13 by Montag72 from Santander, Cantabria Spain on Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Recogido en correos sano y salvo. Me he juntado con dos amuletos uno en Español y otro en inglés, esto me pasa por no apuntar los brings. Empezaré por este que hace mucho que no leo en inglés y si es tan bueno como parece espero acabarlo pronto.