corner corner Straight Talk from the Heartland

Straight Talk from the Heartland
by Ed Schultz | Nonfiction
Registered by AnnaLibrarian of Richmond, Virginia USA on 12/28/2004

status (set by itsalison2): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 28, 2004

"Tough Talk, Common Sense, and Hope from a Former Conservative"

Review copy

Ed Schultz is here to slay the "right-wing radio dragon" and revitalize the charge against Bush-era "conservative cruelty" with his own bold, irreverent truth-talk. When the self-described "gun-toting, meat-eating, drug-free liberal" from America's heartland came out swinging with his syndicated radio program, The Ed Schultz Show, listeners realized right away that this was no cookie-cutter liberal, but a tough-talking advocate for everything that's right about the left. "A free press is all that stands between you and a dictatorship," warns Schultz, in defiance of the Bush administration and ultra-conservative talking heads like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity, whom he blames for quashing political debate just when America needs it most. While Big Ed has what it takes to "go bare-knuckle brawling" with his staunchest detractors, it is with a deep compassion and impeccable common sense that he describes how our "government by the rich and for the rich" is imperiling the lives of average hard-working Americans.

Journal Entry 2 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Friday, December 31, 2004

Ed Schultz is conservative turned liberal talk radio host. His show is syndicated on over 30 affiliate stations in the United States and Canada. The cover of his book, Straight Talk From the Heartland, proclaims that his is the fastest growing talk radio show. Not being a talk radio listener, I missed out on the hoopla surrounding this guy. However, having read his book, I'm now interested in hearing what he has to say on a regular basis. In the midst of his at times bombastic ranting (a trademark of talk radio), Schultz displays a keen intellect and average-guy understanding of the socio-politic-economic realities of life in the 21st century world. Neocons will hate this book. Moderates will feel enlightened and emboldened. Liberals will enjoy the occasional pot-shots at Neocons and want more.

The book is divided into two parts. The first describes Schultz's transformation from hard-line conservative to left-of-center talk radio host. He outlines the events that brought him to his current ideology and lays out criticism of leaders on the Left and the Right, but mainly the Right. The second part is Schultz's vision of what holds us together as a country and how these "pillars" are becoming unstable. At the end of each pillar section, he reiterates his main points, making this a handy crib sheet for those who may not wish to read them in detail.

My copy of this book has a handful of paper scraps sticking out of the top, marking the pages that have a particularly insightful or amusing comment. Here are just a few:

On Homeland Security:
"Minnesota, which also shares a border with Canada, has two nuclear plants within thirty miles of Minneapolis. Do you know who lives in Minneapolis? Prince! I am willing to make some concessions for homeland security. I am not willing to sacrifice the funk." p.73

On Corporate Malfeasance:
"We need Ashcroft to stop spying on the librarians of America, and start focusing on the criminals again. And I'm not talking about Martha Stewart. We need the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Trade Commission to grow some fangs, and start going after the big guns." p.131

On Class Warfare:
"Â…I want to make it clear that I'm not advocating class warfare. Every good job I ever had was working for a rich man. Mr. Gates, I don't mind the big paycheck, but could you at least give me a computer that works? Anytime any company dominates its industry like Microsoft does, there's little motivation for the company to improve and give the public cheaper and better products." p.135

On the "Liberal Media":
"A journalist has to know enough about a topic to explain it to his audience. If he gets it wrong, people will know. So these people see the inner workings of government. They see the problems, they witness the disasters, and pretty soon their experiences tell them things need to change. A liberal is a compassionate proponent of change. So if journalists are liberals, maybe it's reasonable to assume it was their life experiences that changed them. That's how it worked for me." p.201

On Talk Radio:
"Nowadays, it's all too easy to get caught up in media frenzy. It feels like a new disaster is breaking every hour or so. I know this firsthand: I live, and work, in the bullet-point culture, too. My show is fast-paced. We paint in broad strokes. I provide solid information and opinions, but there's no time for nuance — even if the President did nuance. So is talk radio the best place for in-depth news? Nah. It's news delivered with equal helpings of entertainment, advocacy, and opinion, to help the medicine go down. Not all media is created equal." p.220

Journal Entry 3 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 01, 2005

I was going to send this out in a ring, but there wasn't enough interest. So, instead, I'm using it to revive the American Politics book relay.

Journal Entry 4 by AnnaLibrarian at Bookrelay in n/a, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 31, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (1/31/2005 UTC) at Bookrelay in n/a, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases

Sent this off as a part of the American Politics relay.

Journal Entry 5 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Coincidentally, I was listening to "Big Ed" in my car as I drove to pick up my mail, and here is the book. Thanks, AnnaLibrarian. I like Schultz -- just the way he handles himself on his talk show; it's actually worth listening to. That's why I was curious about his book. I understand it has some information about his life and how he switched from conservative to liberal.

Unfortunately, I have a few other books to read first, but I will try to be reasonably prompt so the book can continue to circulate.

By the way, when I got it there were no scraps of paper sticking out of it, but thanks for journaling as much as you did.

Journal Entry 6 by gnissorckoob at Coral Gables Library in Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (4/27/2005 UTC) at Coral Gables Library in Miami, Florida USA

RELEASE NOTES: To be left on the library's perpetual book sale shelf some time today.

I tried to read this but couldn't get into it. Since the 2004 election I've been a bit burned out on political stuff, the right and the left, etc. Also I found the opening section too ego-centric: me-me-me. On the radio, Ed Schultz comes across as a big, open guy; but here he had the grandiosity of a Rush Limbaugh.

Journal Entry 7 by vayacondia from Nashville, Tennessee USA on Saturday, September 03, 2005

I bought this book from the used books at Amazon.com and was thrilled when I opened it to find a BC label! Awesome!

Journal Entry 8 by itsalison2 on Monday, October 30, 2006

I received this book from PaperBackSwap.com - it was on my requested book list and I ordered it from someone in Longmont Colorado. So this book traveled from Colorado to New Jersey in late October of 2006 . Not yet read, but I amlooking foward to reading this book and then passing it along to someone else

CAUGHT IN HAMILTON TOWNSHIP NEW JERSEY USA