corner corner The Blue Bedspread

The Blue Bedspread
by Raj Kamal Jha | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Cwarncke of Midland, Texas USA on 12/23/2004

status (set by TheBowieFollies): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Cwarncke from Midland, Texas USA on Thursday, December 23, 2004

T B R

Journal Entry 2 by Cwarncke from Midland, Texas USA on Monday, May 09, 2005

This is a quick read; but do not let it fool you. It is deeply intense, dark and very personal. Hard to shake this story.....

Journal Entry 3 by Cwarncke at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Houston, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (6/14/2005 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Houston, Texas USA

I am traveling on my way today to a very special someone who requested me, and waiting to share the secrets of long ago Calcutta under The Blue Bedspread....

Journal Entry 4 by Beloved49 from Lynbrook, New York USA on Thursday, June 16, 2005

This is a trade book from a fellow BC'er. Thanks. 6/16/05

Journal Entry 5 by Beloved49 from Lynbrook, New York USA on Monday, June 27, 2005

This was a very troubling book. It was at times violent and full of elicit love. The love between a sister and brother that was their only escape from a love hate relationship with their father.
A memorable book not to be forgotten soon.
I know of what secrets The Blue Bedspread keeps.

Journal Entry 6 by Beloved49 from Lynbrook, New York USA on Monday, September 05, 2005

This is a trade book to a fellow BC'er in Athens Greece. I hope she enjoys reading all the secrets under the Blue Bedspred.6/05/2005. Happy reading and please pass me along, Beloved49

Journal Entry 7 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Received by post from Beloved49. Many thanks for trading with me.

Journal Entry 8 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, January 09, 2006

There is the story line, and then there is the prose style. Both might, at first reading, bring to mind Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things. Here, though, point of view and tone is subdued. Evasion and narrative elision is maintained throughout The Blue Bedspread, which might leave some readers asking for more (clarification).

Unlike The God of Small Things, where the loose ends come together in the end, The Blue Bedspread does not propose a unified tale. In this sense, it is realistic and honest. The "stories" narrated here cannot evoke a coherent whole, a complete fictive universe - for memory, especially that of the narrator, is fleeting.

The painful past is best kept forgotten, and yet, the Brother feels a duty to recall as much as he can for the Sister's baby he is addressing. The past, the truth, comes back to him slowly, and is revealed to us gradually, triggered by images, words, sensations, all of which come throughout the duration of a single night, as he remains awake recalling, repeating, evaluating, transcribing.

Like the symbol of the blue bedspread, memory has become eroded by time, use, and washing. Yet there exists a persistent nostalgia for the love, hope and comfort enmeshed in the tattered and discolored fabric of the bedspread.

Journal Entry 9 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, May 08, 2006

Starting a BOOK RAY for this.

Please PM if you are interested, and include your mailing preferences. This will be an International book ray. I'll be adding to the list of participants here as soon as I hear from you.

Ray order:

1 map-maker (UK) ~ ships to Europe
2 deadendmind (Greece) ~ ships internationally
3 ThursdayN (Sweden) ~ ships internationally
4 [was Bulan-Purnama but asked to be skipped for time being]
5 infiniteTBR (USA) ~ ships within USA
6 azuki (USA)
7 Bulan-Purnama (USA)

~ ~ ~ ~ > Please make a journal entry when you receive the book.
When you are done reading, contact the next reader via PM for their address. Also, make another journal entry (or edit your first one) with your comments on the book.

Thanks everyone! I hope you enjoy this.

***BOOKRAY IS COMPLETED*** Thanks everyone for participating!

Journal Entry 10 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Friday, June 02, 2006

On its way to map-maker.

Journal Entry 11 by map-maker from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 05, 2006

Received from okyrhoe. I've just finished a book so finding this in the post today was good timing, thanks!

Ed. 140606: sent on to deadendmind today, will journal properly tomorrow.

Journal Entry 12 by deadendmind from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Saturday, June 24, 2006

I received the book yesterday and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Thank you for the postcard map-maker!

Journal Entry 13 by deadendmind from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I finished the book yesterday and liked it quite a lot. I was always fascinated by India and its writers and I have read a fair share of books by Indian writers since I enjoy them.

The Blue Bedspread is a charming book, very poetic. It does not have much of a plot but that did not bother me. Instead, it is full of moments, many times magical, that give it its pace and its charm. It confused me at times, but after a while things got clarified. I liked that. It was like reading a dream. Moments, memories, other dreams, sounds and colors, people, alive and dead, all mingle wonderfully.

It was a quick read, although the book has a dreamy slowness. I liked it a lot and I'm glad I was given the chance to read it. Thank you okyrhoe.

I sent the book to ThursdayN today.

Journal Entry 14 by ThursdayN from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Saturday, July 01, 2006

Received it yesterday by mail. Thank you deadendmind! I'm just going to finish the book that I'm reading currently, then I will start with this one!

Journal Entry 15 by ThursdayN from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Thursday, July 06, 2006

I just loved this passsage: "In short, I will tell you happy stories and I will tell you sad stories. And remember, my child, your truth lies somewhere in between." Oh so true about life, love and memory.

A dark, disturbing book in many ways, and a good read.

Sending it to infiniteTBR (Bulan-Purnama passes) today!

Journal Entry 16 by infiniteTBR from not specified, not specified not specified on Monday, July 17, 2006

Received today as part of Okyrhoe's book ray. About half way through so far and although the writing style takes some getting used to, it is quite good.

Journal Entry 17 by infiniteTBR from not specified, not specified not specified on Tuesday, July 18, 2006

On its way to azuki in Florida!

Journal Entry 18 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Monday, July 24, 2006

Got book today. Thanks! InfiniteTBR is such a fast reader to finish this in a day. I am definitely going to take longer than that. But thanks. I was about to start reading something fm my TBR but I guess back on the shelf it goes.

Journal Entry 19 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 02, 2006

When I came to this paragraph:

"We shall visit all these places; I shall hold your hand, open all those rooms that need to be opened, word by wordm sentence by sentence. I will keep some rooms closed until we are more ready, open others just a chink so that you can take a peek. And at times, without opening a door at all, we shall imagine what lies inside."

I readied myself for a beautiful book.

The author works magic with his pen. Many of his proses are painfully poetic. On the other hand, sometimes they are so disjointed I had a hard time piecing them together to form a story. The story that he wants to tell. Which certainly begs comparison to God of Small Things, where I too had some problem with the jumping back and forth in time. I guess it's just me.

This is certainly an accomplished work, I enjoyed it a lot, and thanks okyrhoe for sharing.

The book will go out today to Bulan-Purnama, where I understand it will rest a while after this long journey.

Journal Entry 20 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Thursday, August 10, 2006

I received the book today. Thank you azuki for mailing and the cute labels. Also to okyrhoe for giving me another chance to read this fascinating book. Hope both of you will enjoy reading The Rice Mother. When I am through, will continue its journey.

Journal Entry 21 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Sunday, November 26, 2006

Beautifully written throughout. With feeling of sensuality and poignant. A truly feast for the mind. Thanks okyrhoe and everyone before me for sharing this wonderful book.

I will post in the forum either as a bookray or a Ray It Forward to continue its journey, soon.

Journal Entry 22 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Tuesday, March 20, 2007

This idea came from crrcokie and I like the concept.

I am making this book into a..........

"RAY IT FORWARD"

Let me try and explain what a “Ray It Forward” is. More or less it is the lazy way for me to set up a common BookRay. Ordinarily a BookRay has a list of participants and it gets mailed down the line to the last person who does whatever they wish with the book. Well, I have no desire to maintain a list so this is what I figure. I’ll find the first person that wants this book and send it to them. I just ask that they pass the book along “BookRay” fashion when they are done with it.

If you are in possession of this book then please look for another BookCrosser to pass it to. Check the wish lists, the forums, a yahoo group, the BookRelay, or offer it at a meeting …whatever way you choose to pass it on is up to you. If it seems that no other BookCrossers want it then send it along its way as a wild release but this should be a last resort.

What are the advantages of Ray it Forward?

Time frame – I ask that you pass the book along in a couple months or so but because there is not a “waiting list” the time is a little more relaxed than a standard BookRay.

Shipping Preferences – Choose your own. If you need to post within your own country then do so. If you choose to send international that is great too. If postal costs are a problem right now then hand it to another BookCrosser at a meeting, release to an OBCZ, ask for postage from the receiver or find some other way to get the book in the hands of another BookCrosser.

***Please note that it would be polite to let the next person know that this is a Ray It Forward book before you pass it along to them so that they will know that they will be expected to pass it on in a couple months.

Less Stress – Please do your best to keep this book moving but I am going to try my hardest not to worry about it anymore as I send it into the world to be enjoyed by as many as is its fate.

Have a great BookCrossing Day!

Journal Entry 23 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Friday, April 06, 2007

This book is going to be guinaveve KEEP THEM MOVING CHALLENGE.

Continuing its journey to a reader as rabck. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 24 by TheBowieFollies from Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, April 23, 2007

Bulan- Purnama is a star! Not only did she send me this wonderful Raj Kamal Jha, she also sent this cheeky little book about loving my dog ;) I do love me dalmation :)
And Bulans got some marvelous creatures herself! I cant wait to delve into these, I am quite enchanted by eastern literature

cheers so much