corner corner Les Miserables

Les Miserables
by Victor Hugo | Literature & Fiction
Registered by maprem of Bothell, Washington USA on 12/18/2004

status (set by 1001-library): available

Journal Entry 1 by maprem from Bothell, Washington USA on Saturday, December 18, 2004

It's a great story - "one of the great novels of western literature". It's also enormous - 1260 pages in this paperback edition, and some parts of it are in French. I kept this book around for years just to prove I read it.

Journal Entry 2 by maprem from Bothell, Washington USA on Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Mailed to PJW - a new book crosser.

Journal Entry 3 by PJW from Redmond, Washington USA on Sunday, May 08, 2005

I think this might be the biggest non-textbook I've ever seen. Robert Jordan would be green with envy. Thanks so much for sending it. I wonder who I could release it to who wouldn't be daunted by the size after I've read it...

Journal Entry 4 by PJW at Redmond, Washington USA on Monday, June 14, 2010

A decent book, but I liked the musical better. :-)

The author devoted several pages to justifying why he had written the thieves' conversation in argot, and there were a bunch of useless digressions like that. :-/

It's interesting to note that by the time I got around to reading this book I had moved across the country, close enough that the person who originally mailed it to me could have brought it over to my apartment.

I'm going to make a post on the forums to see if anyone else wants it. It came in as an RABCK, so it should go out the same way.

Condition note: The book has a few teeth-marks on it that it didn't have when I got it. They were inflicted by a 4-month old bunny-rabbit named Hope. See Photos

Journal Entry 5 by eastbaybookmisr at Oakland, California USA on Saturday, July 03, 2010

Received in today's mail as a RABCK! Thank you!

1998 Quality Paperback Book Club edition of the 1862 epic, at 1260 pages in length, set during the French Revolution. This was on my list of the best 100 novels to read. Cover art on this edition is from "Defense of a Barricade" colored lithograph.

I can let this go after I read:
1831 The Hunchback of Notre Dame [read 2011]

Edit August 28, 2011: Wow, I finally finished this one. Took a lot of skimming, though I enjoyed the "abridged" story, and quite a moving ending. Jean Valjean is a character I will surely always remember. And Cosette, and Fantine.

Journal Entry 6 by eastbaybookmisr at Ithaca, New York USA on Sunday, August 28, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (8/28/2011 UTC) at Ithaca, New York USA

... will be shipping this off soon in a box-o-books as donation to the 1001 Library, from the rarities wishlist (unabridged Charles E. Wilbour translation).

Journal Entry 7 by Vasha at Ithaca, New York USA on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

On behalf of the library, thanks.

Journal Entry 8 by Vasha at Ithaca, New York USA on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

This novel is very long, in part because of Hugo’s famous digressions, but mostly because it covers a large extent of time and a large cast of characters. For my part, I spent an entire week of vacation reading it when I was about 12 years old (in the Wilbour translation), and then went right back and read it again, enthralled by the drama and delighted by the authoritative way the story is told. The only parts I skipped over then were the celebration of the austerity of nuns in a convent (later read it, and was impressed by the writing though not the sentiments), and the discussion of Parisian slang, which it’s really impossible to make meaningful for an English speaker. Naturally, the attempted revolution was the dramatic high point of the story. Jean Valjean, the main character whose life provides a framework for the novel, was actually one of the least interesting characters for me. Nonetheless, his relentless pursuit by Inspector Javert is another dramatic thread through the work; Javert, far from being a villain as some second-hand accounts make him out to be, is honorable and principled, and though principle without empathy and flexibility is excessively harsh, Javert is just as harsh toward himself as toward anyone else. I’ve reread the novel again recently, and continue to be fascinated by it.

Journal Entry 9 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanks so much for your donation Vasha!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf