corner corner The Sooterkin

The Sooterkin
by Tom Gilling | Literature & Fiction
Registered by peggysmum of Pearce, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 12/13/2004

status (set by ArtTeacher): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by peggysmum from Pearce, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, December 13, 2004

Blurb:

"On a squally afternoon in the winter of 1821 Sarah Dyer gives birth to the strangest child ever seen in Van Diemen's Land, a thing more seal than human. As news of the creature spreads through the colony, increduous doctors come to peer under Sarah's skirts. The Reverend Mr Kidney suspects a virgin birth. Mr Sculey, anatomist and man of science, hails it as the antipodean answer to the elusive Dutch sooterkin.

The pup is a joy to its parents and a welcome companion to their nine-years-old son, Ned, who discovers surprising - and profitable - talents in his whiskery sibling. But when a well-dressed stranger arrives, bearing a modest proposal for the infant's future, no-one forseees the trouble that lies ahead."

By the same author as the wonderful "Miles McGinty"

Journal Entry 2 by peggysmum from Pearce, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, January 01, 2005

Never did read it and this is the second copy I've owned. On its way to Pixette in Sydney.

Journal Entry 3 by Pixette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 04, 2005

A RABCK from Peggysmum arrived in my postbox today!
Complete with zebra bookmark - thankyou.

I was standing in a few queues at lunch so had a bit of a read - looks interesting. I have another book to finish but should be able to start on it next week.

Journal Entry 4 by Pixette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, January 16, 2005

A bit of a strange tale. A colonial woman from Tasmania gives birth to a seal-pup. It's viewed by some as an abomination and others some special gift from god.

I liked the style of writing, the opening paragraphs welcome the reader as if they just arrived in the colony and were walking down the main street - appologies for the stench of whale carcases abound. This style intersperced with occasional editorials from the colony newspaper made the read a quite enjoyable one.

Journal Entry 5 by Pixette at James Squire Brew House in Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, February 07, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (2/8/2005 UTC) at James Squire Brew House in Sydney, New South Wales Australia

Released at the February meetup at the James Squire Brew House on Kings Wharf.

Journal Entry 6 by woosang from Picton, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 08, 2005

HEY Peggysmum I got one of your books from the meetup in Sydney. Small world!!

Am looking forward to it. An Australian one I hadn't heard of.

Journal Entry 7 by woosang from Picton, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 03, 2005

Sending to Wombles for the easter bunny

Journal Entry 8 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Thank you so much! This looks really interesting! I love australain authors and haven't heard of this one so will read it asap!

Journal Entry 9 by jawin from Launceston, Tasmania Australia on Saturday, March 19, 2005

Caught at the Brisbane Trivia Challenge.

What an interesting sounding story. I shall look forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 10 by jawin at Gallery Cafe in Uralla, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, April 03, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (3/30/2005 UTC) at Gallery Cafe in Uralla, New South Wales Australia

I will never get to read this, as Mount To Be Read is threatening cataclysmic collapse at any moment. I decided to let it go into the wild when I went on a road trip last week through northern NSW. Hope it is found and enjoyed.

Left with the magazines in the Gallery Cafe on the corner of the New England Highway and Hill Street. They make a great cup of tea there.

Journal Entry 11 by ArtTeacher from Inverell, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, May 01, 2005

Found the book in a cafe in Uralla. Pretty exciting as heard of bookcrossing from friends before. Plan to send book to daughter in Brisbane as she was with me when we found it and is keen to read it.