corner corner A Paper Life

A Paper Life
by Tatum O'Neal | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by grover3d of Charleston, West Virginia USA on Friday, December 10, 2004

status (set by vcrain): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by grover3d from Charleston, West Virginia USA on Friday, December 10, 2004

Well, at times you'll want to take Tatum by the shoulders and shake her, but you kind of expect that going in, right? Anyway, an interesting book and a worthwhile read. The focus is mainly on Tatum's childhood and teen-age years, with some discussion of her courtship with John McEnroe, but limited detail on her addiction and her fight to keep her children (and allow me to say that while I'm not a huge McEnroe fan, and I'm sure he was a difficult husband, Tatum is darn lucky that he EVER let her see her children!). Lots of great pictures. Nothing earth-shattering, but all-around O.K.

Sending this one out on a bookray. See my main page for the current routing list. For U.S. to U.S. addresses, please use delivery confirmation if at all possible. Thanks!

Journal Entry 2 by sweetpea0678 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Thanks I've been wanting to read this. Will read soon.

Journal Entry 3 by sweetpea0678 at Book Ring in Bookring, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (2/28/2005 UTC) at Book Ring in Bookring, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 4 by Hannah-B from Saint Joseph, Michigan USA on Friday, March 04, 2005

Received in the mail today from sweetpea0678. I need to finish a book I'm currently reading for a class that starts on Monday, but then I'll dive into this one and send it on its way. Thanks sweetpea!

Journal Entry 5 by Hannah-B from Saint Joseph, Michigan USA on Sunday, March 13, 2005

While I have no doubt that Tatum O'Neal experienced the things she tells us about in her book, I found it hard to care. The problem is that she *tells* us rather than *showing* us what it was like to be her. Not very well-written, I thought. I also found it curious that she thanks her "co-writer" in the acknowledgements, but that no one else's name appears anywhere on the cover, the title page, anywhere. I'm glad I had a chance to read it, but definitely not something I would read again.

I'll put it in the mail tomorrow (3-14-05) to EMB.

Journal Entry 6 by Emb from Livonia, Michigan USA on Saturday, March 19, 2005

rcvd 3/18/05 thank you

Journal Entry 7 by Emb from Livonia, Michigan USA on Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I thought this was an interesting book. I guess I can't judge wether these things in her life occurred or not, as I was not there. I had many of the dysfunctions she mentions, occur in my life and I could relate and understand what she was feeling and the things that she did. The fact that all three of the O'Neal kids had problems with drugs, alcohol and the law, may indicate there were some things in their upbringing. I hope that she is living her life to the fullest and enjoying her children.

I will send this out on Friday or as soon as I hear from the next person on the list :)

emb

Journal Entry 8 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Received this book the week that my husband passed away. I am so sorry that I was this negligent in journalling the receipt of this fine (my opinion so far)autobiography.

Though I can not identify with her lifestyle at all, I somehow felt sorry for her.

Journal Entry 9 by legs from Kansas City, Kansas USA on Tuesday, June 28, 2005

rcvd in mail today. thanks.
sorry about your loss.
7-3-05 Tatum's focus accdg. to her was her children and she hated having to give them up every two weeks to their father----but then she goes to rehab for three months. She constantly quotes her diary and the book seems to be written like one and it was disjointed. Still glad I read it; its hard to believe these lifestyles exist.
7-20-05 mailed to vcrain today.

Journal Entry 10 by vcrain from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, July 25, 2005

rec'd in the mail today. I have one ray ahead of this one but will try and read this one asap.