corner corner Hotel Du Lac

Hotel Du Lac
by Anita Brookner | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Kislany on Saturday, December 04, 2004

status (set by mummafour): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Kislany on Saturday, December 04, 2004

In the novel that won her the Booker Prize and established her international reputation, Anita Brookner finds a new vocabulary for framing the eternal question "Why love?" It tells the story of Edith Hope, who writes romance novels under a psudonym. When her life begins to resemble the plots of her own novels, however, Edith flees to Switzerland, where the quiet luxury of the Hotel du Lac promises to resore her to her senses.

But instead of peace and rest, Edith finds herself sequestered at the hotel with an assortment of love's casualties and exiles. She also attracts the attention of a worldly man determined to release her unused capacity for mischief and pleasure. Beautifully observed, witheringly funny, Hotel du Lac is Brookner at her most stylish and potently subversive.

Reserved for Sobergirl (bookrelay)

Journal Entry 2 by Kislany at Mailed to BC member in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 09, 2005

Released on Monday, January 03, 2005 at about 4:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Mailed to BC member in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser Controlled Releases.

Sent it to Sobergirl. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 3 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Monday, January 10, 2005

Caught through a bookrelay.
Thanks Kislany!

About the author
About the Prize

Journal Entry 4 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Friday, January 14, 2005

I will bookring this in Europe before I read it.I'm reading "East of Eden" now, almost 600 pages, it'll keep me busy for a while, Hotel du Lac can go on a European tour meanwhile :)
Closing date Fri 21st january 2005

Want to join the bookring?
PM me with your location (EUROPEAN!) and shipping preferences. Economy mail more than ok!

Rules:

1. Please journal the book to say you have received it.
2. PM the next person on the list for their address.
3. Read the book within one month (or PM me if you need longer)
4. Post to next person on list.

Any problems, please PM me.

Bookring list:

1. Titihood UK
2. FieryFairy UK
3. Back to Sobergirl

Update 18th January 2005: sent the book to Titihood today. Last date to join the bookring Friday 21st January.

Journal Entry 5 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Sunday, January 16, 2005

I'll read it after the European tour and then it'll go to Australia to tantan.

Journal Entry 6 by titihood on Friday, January 28, 2005

I went up to London this week and when I came back this had come in the post for me - yay! I'm looking forward to reading it, it looks like quite a slim volume but I do have a few other Bookrings I have to start beforehand.

I really enjoyed this book, I love the way it is written and it resonated with me somehow. Sent to fieryfairy

Journal Entry 7 by FieryFairy from Capel Garmon, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, March 12, 2005

I liked this book, but somehow not as much as I'd thought I would. It was good, but it just didn't catch me. I didn't really empathise with any of the characters so it was pretty much a take it or leave it read for me.

Thanks for the chance to read it though!

Journal Entry 8 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Now the book is back with me and after I've read it I will send it to Tantan.

Edit 18th May:
I read a couple of pages of it last night and it doesn't seem like a book in my taste.
I will send it to tantan today!
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingtantanwing from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Received today from Sobergirl, with many thanks. The package was ripped open in transit, but I don't think anything was lost

Journal Entry 10 by wingtantanwing from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Friday, September 02, 2005

Just a quick update that after having held on to this book for far too long I've finally begun to read it! I'm enjoying it so far, and it'll head off to the next person as soon as I'm done.

Journal Entry 11 by wingtantanwing from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I finished this today, and really enjoyed it. The style of writing resonated with me, and I thought it told the story beautifully and succintly for such a small book.

***

The list of participants for this bookring can be found here

Journal Entry 12 by wingtantanwing from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Monday, October 24, 2005

I've held onto this book for awhile so it could go to meganh before heading off on its travels. It's been posted today.

Journal Entry 13 by wingmeganhwing from Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Friday, October 28, 2005

I received this in the mail yesterday - thank you tantan. Thanks for keeping it for me while I went off travelling to Thailand and Vietnam. And this book has done many kms too, in places where I am yet to venture - Cyprus, Finland and Quebec, Canada.
I look forward to reading this on this Melbourne Cup long weekend. The Cup is the most famous horse race in Australia - even writer Mark Twain visited here during his time in Australia.
Melbourne Cup

Journal Entry 14 by wingmeganhwing from Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Sunday, November 06, 2005

I enjoyed this time-out story.
Insignificant Edith made a huge faux pas and had to be shuffled off to a quiet little hotel where she gathered with an odd bunch of guests who were all there for restoration from their daily lives. Her time there was like her life -mostly insignificant and grey. The other guests were more colourful and used her as a sounding board and foil - even so far as Mr Neville thinking she would make a useful wife for himself.
Thank goodness she was not totally without colour and romance.
I like the way Anita Brookner matched the grey lives of these people with the grey and somber weather. The dignified and subdued hotel matched Edith's personality too.
Off to lady-anglophile as soon as I have her address.

Journal Entry 15 by norafrvr from Kuwait, Kuwait Kuwait on Saturday, December 10, 2005

received today along with another booker prize book..many thanks!

Journal Entry 16 by norafrvr from Kuwait, Kuwait Kuwait on Wednesday, January 04, 2006

sent to dospescados... Enjoy

Journal Entry 17 by dospescados on Friday, January 13, 2006

Nine days seems pretty quick to travel all the way from Kuwait! I'm looking forward to reading this. Thanks!

Journal Entry 18 by dospescados on Friday, February 24, 2006

It's taken longer than I planned to get to this book but I'll start it tonight and PM tania-in-nc for her address.

Journal Entry 19 by dospescados on Friday, February 24, 2006

I just read thru about a third of the book. Unfortunately none of the characters interest me much and the author's style isn't convincing me to stick with the book. I already have tania-in-nc's address so this'll be in the mail on Monday. It's probably light enough that I'll even be able to send it first class instead of media mail!

Journal Entry 20 by tania-in-nc from Mooresville, North Carolina USA on Saturday, March 04, 2006

This book has arrived safely. I'll finish my current read (Millionaire's Christmas Miracle, by Mary Anne Wilson, c. 2001) and get into it. Thanks so much for sharing it with me.

Journal Entry 21 by tania-in-nc from Mooresville, North Carolina USA on Sunday, March 05, 2006

Well, that was a quick read. Finished it this afternoon. I am pleased with the ending - can't say too much more than that.

I shall PM dodau next.

Journal Entry 22 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Don't remember signing up for this one but thats nothing new. Got a couple before it but will read it later this week.

Journal Entry 23 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 19, 2006

Sorry to say but once again a Booker prize winner bored me to tears. I will keep reading them in hope though.

Jenatleisure has asked to pass on this one so will send it to next person once I get an address

Journal Entry 24 by dodau at Surface Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 02, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (6/2/2006 UTC) at Surface Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 25 by jazz-ee2 from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I got this book a few days ago with another one, then started reading it and forgot to journal it! Not finished it yet, but going away today so will take it with me and hope to do so then.

Journal Entry 26 by jazz-ee2 from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 14, 2006

Well I have finally gotten around to finishing this book! It really is a book that you could read in an afternoon (I almost did!), so I do apologize for having it some time.
I first read this book when I was about 13 or 14 and remember it as being a nice read about a woman on holiday. Being that bit older now, I can see more of the subtleties of the story and the characters, particularly Edith. I think it was really brave of Brookner to write a story about an apparently staid and spinsterly middle-aged woman, exploring issues of sexuality and determinism in very subtle ways. I still think there are elements of it that I haven't quite got - maybe if I read it again in another 20 years it will all fall into place!
I have PMd the next person on the list for their address, with no reply as yet.

Journal Entry 27 by wingtantanwing from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Sunday, January 27, 2008

Arrived on Friday - many thanks jazz-ee2.

Journal Entry 28 by wingtantanwing from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, March 04, 2008

This is really a very well-travelled book, and now it's heading off again! :-) Going to mummafour as part of the Oz VBB.

Journal Entry 29 by mummafour from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Monday, March 10, 2008

Thank you tantan I cant wait to read this book!