corner corner Measuring the Earth with a Stick

Measuring the Earth with a Stick
by Bob McDonald | Science
Registered by jessibud of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 12/2/2004

status (set by jessibud): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 02, 2004

From the host of my favourite science show on the radio, comes a new book. Even science that is too high-falutin' or boring, comes alive when Bob presents it. And he has such a great sense of humour, too. No one can call him stuffy, that's for sure!

Here's the link to the thread that led me to start this book as a ring:

I've decided to ring it now even though I haven't read it yet. I'll read it myself when it comes home. I can't wait to read the journal entries for this one!

Journal Entry 2 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 06, 2004

Ok, here's the tentative list. PM me if it needs tweaking:

1)brooklinbrat (Ontario)
7)miketrollstigen - Wales
8)dodau - England
9)Lorelei03 - New York
10)Graubart - Texas

Book is home and the ring is completed! Thanks, everyone

Journal Entry 3 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 17, 2004

I am SO BAD!! This arrived on 12/14/04, and only now, after jessibud PM'd me, am I journalling it!! (For shame!)

MrBrat is having first crack at this book, which is right up his alley. I look forward to reading it, and should be done within a couple of weeks, maybe three, with the holidays coming up...

Journal Entry 4 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Sad to say I don't think I'm going to finish this any time soon. I just can't seem to get into it right now. Not sure if it's the book itself, or the other books I have waiting that just seem to be calling me louder than this one!

I'll send this on as soon as I get an address. I feel bad not finishing it, but I would feel worse knowing there are people waiting.

For what it's worth, my husband read it and quite enjoyed it, although he did say he liked the Quirks & Quarks program better than the book.

Journal Entry 5 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 09, 2005

Mailed to Catwoman 01/08/05.

Journal Entry 6 by Catwoman from Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Friday, January 14, 2005

Arrived today, and will start reading tonight.

Journal Entry 7 by Catwoman at on Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (1/19/2005 UTC) at

What a great book! I really enjoyed reading about the author's adventures. I especially loved his essays about space. I thought the book compares favorably with Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" though it doesn't have the same wit. McDonald's descriptions and explanations are thorough without requiring the reader to have a PhD. I laughed several times during the book, especially when he described his embarassment at looking the wrong way for Northern Lights (you should look north, shouldn't you???). I think I probably would have been looking in the wrong direction too before I read his explanation. The other thing I liked about the book is the Canadian perspective - it's there without being overwhelming.

Thank you so much for sharing this book with me.

This book is on its way to sqdancer to continue its journey.

Journal Entry 8 by sqdancer on Friday, January 21, 2005

Arrived safe and sound. I am currently reading a bookray book, but this book will be up next. The other is a short book, so I should get to this one some time next week.

Journal Entry 9 by sqdancer on Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Very good. Like Catwoman, my favorite part was the space section. I also found the essay on cancer treatments very interesting.

Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

Will be mailing this out this afternoon.

Journal Entry 10 by sqdancer on Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Mailed to tnkbl this afternoon via surface mail.

Journal Entry 11 by tnkbl from Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, February 17, 2005

It's here! I'll start on it as soon as I finish the book I'm reading now (Shadow of the Wind by Carl Luis Zafon. What, I'm going to put THAT down?!?).

Journal Entry 12 by tnkbl from Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, March 15, 2005

This was pretty fun, but not as mind-opening as I hoped. There was a lot of information that was interesting, but only the very first section, when he is clinging to the edge of the earth, made me think about our universe in a new way. Not a bad way to spend a few hours, though.

I sent this off to the next person in line last week.

Journal Entry 13 by ds3233 from Sun City, Arizona USA on Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Received in the mail today from tnkbl in California as a bookring. I've been looking forward to this one, so will probably start it in a day or two.

Journal Entry 14 by ds3233 from Sun City, Arizona USA on Sunday, March 20, 2005

Fun book. I didn't learn anything new, but it put things in different perspectives for me. I liked the Canadian slant. And the description of sky diving was very enlightening (I'm not going to do it!)

Journal Entry 15 by ds3233 at RABCK in RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 20, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (3/21/2005 UTC) at RABCK in RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Shadie in Illinois for the bookring.

Journal Entry 16 by Shadie from Indian Trail, North Carolina USA on Monday, March 28, 2005

Received today. I love books like this! :) MrShadie and I will have a great time reading this! (well, I'll probably read parts of it to him anyway!)

Journal Entry 17 by wingmiketrollwing on Thursday, February 23, 2006

Essays by a popular Canadian science broadcaster on a range of topics including gravity, space exploration, aquatic pollution, vortices, Cetaceans, tornadoes, earthquakes and cancer research.

McDonald is particularly good value talking about topics close to home; his account of the Great Lakes ecosystem is fascinating.

Only I wish he was a more gifted writer. He is no doubt an engaging broadcaster, but the words on the page read as if they are spoken; they need to be trimmed and sharpened by a good publisher's editor (a rare breed these days). So it took the author a page and a half to tell the old chestnut about testing the capacity of jet aircraft to withstand bird damage by firing supermarket chickens at the cockpit (only this time some idiot shoots frozen turkeys).

Still, an entertaining read.

The book will be on its way to Dodau tomorrow.

Journal Entry 18 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 07, 2006

Arrived yesterday. TBR next but one

Journal Entry 19 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 06, 2006

First of all apologies for taking so long to read this. It's not usual for me, normally i have rings read and on their way in a week or two. I can only say that life has been getting in the way recently. As for the book, well I found it a bit of a mixture, some funny anecdotes and stories mixed in with a lot of hard science. Quite difficult to read but interesting.

Journal Entry 20 by dodau at Surface Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (6/20/2006 UTC) at Surface Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 21 by Lorelei03 from Flushing, New York USA on Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Embarassing confession time...

I got this book in the post and wasn't really paying attention becasue a few days later I saw my mom and said hey ma, I borrowed this book from you and am now returning it. Thank goodness jessibud sent me a gentle email asking me what on earth I had done to her book!

Anyway, sorry for the hold up folks, we're back on track now.

Journal Entry 22 by Graubart from Glen Rose, Texas USA on Monday, September 18, 2006

I've been out of town for several days and the book arrived while I was gone. I will jump on this one tonight. I love this kind of writing.

Journal Entry 23 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 18, 2007

The book is home and this ring is successfully completed! Thanks, everyone!