corner corner Zlata's Diary

Zlata's Diary
by Zlata Filipovic | Journals
Registered by Emb of Livonia, Michigan USA on 11/27/2004

status (set by Guinneth): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Emb from Livonia, Michigan USA on Saturday, November 27, 2004

Very good memoir of a young girl growing up in Sarajevo

Journal Entry 2 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Friday, May 06, 2005

just received this book! i can't wait to reading it! Thank you so very much Emb for sharing!

photo taken from the book: War breaks out in Sarajevo. In the beginning, the arrival of the blue berets brought hope.

Journal Entry 3 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Saturday, May 14, 2005

A sad recording of childhood. The most terrible thing a human would have to live, let alone a thirteen year old girl. I found out about Zlata's Diary while reading another book about Pearl Jam where there was mentioned that Eddie Vedder was reading 'Zlata's Diary' just before a concert and was about to meet Zlata that night. I hope she and her family and friends are all right now and that no other human will have to experience the things Zlata and so many others have had to face. I wonder how she is today...

photo taken from the book: an extract of Zlata's diary

Journal Entry 4 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Taken from the back cover:
"Dear Mimmy,
i'm trying to concentrate so that i can do my homework (reading), but i simply can't. Something is going on in town. You can hear gunfire from the hills. Columns of people are spreading out from Dobrinja. They're trying to stop something, but they themselves don't know what. You can simply feel that something is coming, something very bad.... The radio keeps playing the same song: 'Sarajevo, My Love'. That's all very nice, but my stomach is still in knots and i can't concentrate on my homework."

photo taken from the book: an extract of Zlata's diary

Journal Entry 5 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Tuesday, May 02, 2006

This is almost a year since i received and read this book, so on 19th May, my birthday i'll draw one bookcrosser to have this. Everyone can participate by adding their name in this thread

photo taken from the book: Zlata writes at her desk even as the sound of machine guns echoes from the hills.

Journal Entry 6 by pepita-di-Corfu at postal release in To a bookcrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 22, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (5/22/2006 UTC) at postal release in To a bookcrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

After having so many participants (about 40 i think) Guinneth was the lucky one to be picked out of the hat. So now this book is traveling to her. Lucky thing is it appears to be one of her wish list, so i hope you'll enjoy it even more!
Congratulations for winning and thank you for participating!

photo taken from the book: Spring 1991. Zlata is in the fifth grade enjoying school before the bombs start falling on Sarajevo.

Journal Entry 7 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, June 04, 2006

Thank you so much for offering this in your contest, pepita-di-Corfu. I can't believe I won - yay! The book was waiting for me when I returned from vacation, and what a nice thing to return home to. Thanks for the bookmark, too. :)

I will read this as soon as I can and then find a nice way to pass it on.