corner corner A Gathering Light

by Jennifer Donnelly | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by LeighBCD on 11/17/2004

status (set by carlajr): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LeighBCD on Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Bought this as part of a "3 for 2" deal at Waterstones at Bluewater in Kent.

Journal Entry 2 by LeighBCD on Monday, February 19, 2007

I really liked this book - it took me a while to get around to reading it but once I did, I was hooked!

It is set in the Adirondacks in the early years of the 20th century. A young 16 year old girl, Mattie, dreams of going to college but is not sure how to escape the confines of her poor backwoods existence. She falls in love for the first time which complicates matters. Then a beautiful young woman drowns in the local lake forcing Mattie to re-evaluate her life.

This book was truly great and I am sure whoever finds this novel, once I have released it into the wild, will enjoy it immensely.

Journal Entry 3 by LeighBCD at Nightingale Lane in Clapham, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (2/20/2008 UTC) at Nightingale Lane in Clapham, Greater London United Kingdom

Left by the bus-stop. I hope whoever finds this book enjoys it. Welcome to Bookcrossing - enjoy the book and release it again into the wild when you are finished! :-)))

Journal Entry 4 by carlajr from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, March 09, 2008

Found this book on the day it was "released" and got around to it this weekend. I enjoyed the story and the writing very much - it recreated American life at the turn of the last century for a young, poor girl with big dreams. This book isn't great literature but it's full of good characters and language. I would heartily recommend it for curling up in bed on a cold night with a cup of hot tea.

I'm going to release it today somewhere in SW12.