corner corner Highways to a War

Highways to a War
by Christopher J. Koch | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Hawkette of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 11/16/2004

status (set by Jean-Sol): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, November 16, 2004

This was one of my purchases from the 'evil' bookshop during the Australian BookCrossing Conference weekend, in Sydney. 'Evil' because it's impossible to walk out without buying a book or 3!!

I have actually read this book before, and absolutely loved it. I read it while I was living in Cambodia, and literally read to while making a trip to Ho Chi Ming city and back, which placed me in many of the places the book was talking about as I was reading it.

From amazon.com...
Australian war photographer Mike Langford has just disappeared inside Cambodia as this intriguing novel opens in 1976. That country has been closed to all foreigners since the Khmer Rouge takeover, however, so when Langford doesn't emerge the general presumption is that he has been killed or taken prisoner. When the narrator, a boyhood friend, receives Langford's diary-on-tape, spanning 1965-1975, it sets off a series of reminiscences that offer indelible insights into the mind and heart of a remarkable individual who would dare infiltrate Communist Kampuchea against all odds. Readers will be touched by Langford's experiences in Indonesia (the setting of Koch's 1979 novel, The Year of Living Dangerously), Vietnam, and Cambodia. Highly recommended.

The novel is based on an actual Aussie war photographer from Tasmaina, whose story is apparently very much like this one told by Koch.

Journal Entry 2 by puppymummy from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, December 14, 2004

This was given to me at meetup by Hawkette, as she was distributing the Christmas books - I think she thought she'd better make sure I got a good one as I'd mentioned that we might have to fight over who got what :). I'm looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 3 by Inappropriate at The Westlake Restaurant in Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, July 23, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (7/24/2011 UTC) at The Westlake Restaurant in Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Taking to the meet up today

Journal Entry 4 by kzel at Arbory Bar and Eatery in Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, February 24, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (2/25/2018 UTC) at Arbory Bar and Eatery in Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Taking to the meet up today

Journal Entry 5 by wingJean-Solwing at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, February 25, 2018

It looks like this book has been around Australia a fair bit. Been meaning to read this classic Australian novel for ages. Onto MTBR it goes.