corner corner The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Sterile of Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on 11/14/2004

status (set by LittleWhiteBird): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 14, 2004

This copy is in the original American text.

Reserved for Katweeble as part of a trade

Journal Entry 2 by Sterile at on Friday, November 26, 2004

Released on Friday, November 26, 2004 at about 6:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Postal Release in Controlled release, England United Kingdom.

Released as part of a Trade to Katweeble.

Journal Entry 3 by Katweeble from Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 29, 2004

Received today - thanks Sterile. Will add to mount tbr

Journal Entry 4 by Katweeble from Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 08, 2006

I struggled a bit with this as it reminded me too much of the ansgst my teenage son is going through. The lack of direction for the main character annoyed/ upset me. I got into it as I read on though - maybe it will help me understand my son more??then again, maybe not.

Journal Entry 5 by Katweeble from Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 01, 2006

On its way (eventually)to Gothmarcus to fulfill a wish

Journal Entry 6 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Thank you *so* much Katweeble, you're a star!

Journal Entry 7 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 07, 2007

I ought to stop reading 'the classics' as I never 'get' them. Perhaps, one day, someone can explain to me what was so great about this rather pedestrian book?

Updated 12 April: On its way to LittleWhiteBird after spotting it on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 8 by LittleWhiteBird from Pasadena, California USA on Thursday, June 14, 2007

Marcus was so nice to offer this book to me, because he saw it on my wishlist. It arrived today. Will I "get" it? We'll see. I had it on my wishlist, because it's a classic that others have recommended...

Journal Entry 9 by LittleWhiteBird at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, November 05, 2011

This novel was originally published in 1951. The influential and widely acclaimed story details a couple of days in the life of 16-year-old Holden Caulfield after he has been expelled from prep school. Confused and disillusioned, he searches for truth and rails against the "phoniness" of the adult world.

I’m not sure why this book is seen as a “classic”. It wasn’t bad, but definitely not one of the best books I’ve read.

Something I did like about the book was the style it is written in. At first I thought “Oh, another one of those books that are not written in proper English”, but the further I got into it, the more I noticed that the slang makes the story believable as narrated by a boy that age. It’s the way he would talk and think.
I felt like there was no real story though. Holden makes a few bad decision throughout, but they fortunately don’t have the worst outcome. For a good part of the book, I was annoyed at all the adults. The teachers and his parents didn’t seem to care too much about the children they are supposed to take care of. The last ditch effort by one of the teachers to talk to Holden didn’t help much, either, the way he did it. Nobody seemed to check IDs for alcohol...
There is no interesting story line or plot. We don’t even get to know what happened with Jane, a girl Holden had been friends with the previous summer or something. He was worried about her, because he heard his roommate was going to go out with her and he didn’t trust the roommate. He never does anything about it, though. He had a chance to talk to her beforehand and warn her. He had many chances to call her later to find out, but he didn’t even do that, and so we never find out either.
I was thinking, instead of writing this book, maybe the author should have volunteered
somewhere to help teens. I hope he at least used some of the proceeds of the sales of this book for that kind of thing.
Maybe the book is good as a discussion starter with some teens. But then I read that the slang in the book keeps it on banned book lists. Probably keeping it away from those who could benefit the most from it.

I was really tempted to not finish reading this book. I’m glad, I did, though, because the time Holden spends with his sister calmed me down a bit from my aggravation.

Journal Entry 10 by LittleWhiteBird at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (11/5/2011 UTC) at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA

I'm taking this book to a Bookcrossing meeting to see if someone would like to take it home. Otherwise, I might leave the book at the cafe.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!