corner corner Lefties: The Origins and Consequences of Being Left-Handed

Lefties: The Origins and Consequences of Being Left-Handed
by Jack Fincher | Nonfiction
Registered by mrsordonez of St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, November 07, 2004

status (set by -JAFFA-): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, November 07, 2004

I love that the original title of this book is Sinister People. I have to admit, however, as a leftie, that I'm disappointed at the left-hand-side binding.

Journal Entry 2 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, November 29, 2004

I'm trying to start a ring for this one. So far interested parties are:
twiggywig, MI
Piggeldy, GER
-JAFFA- UK
BigJohnLefty, IA (US)
mrsordonez, MO

Journal Entry 3 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, November 29, 2004

I thought this was a great book. I've been the recipient of many Lefty novelty books, as I am severely left-handed (am I sinister???). This one I picked up at a second-hand shop, I believe. It is in fantastic condition, and I really enjoyed the depth of the subject matter. Instead of just listing famous left-handed people (my favorite being Michael Landon), and fun facts, the author really does attempt to uncover the origins and causes of left-handedness, a condition unique to the human race. Theories explore biology, neurology, chemistry (including left-handed molecules), and anti-matter. The author cites many studies, but the book is not bogged down in jargon. A pleasant read.

Journal Entry 4 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Thursday, December 30, 2004

Sent to twiggywig yesterday.

Journal Entry 5 by wingtwiggywigwing from Fair Haven, Michigan USA on Thursday, January 06, 2005

Arrived yesterday...next in line is
caligula03

Journal Entry 6 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Wednesday, January 19, 2005

The book has arrived. I will read it as soon as I can. (:

Journal Entry 7 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Sunday, February 20, 2005

There isn't much original thought in this book. Most of it is just a rehashing of Martin Gardner's many wonderful books.

Journal Entry 8 by caligula03 at on Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (4/16/2005 UTC) at

Haven't heard back from the person after me, so I'm mailing the book to MollyGrue.

Journal Entry 9 by MollyGrue from Tacoma, Washington USA on Saturday, April 23, 2005

I do have a few rings ahead of this one, but hopefully I should get to it soon. Thanks!

Journal Entry 10 by MollyGrue from Tacoma, Washington USA on Thursday, May 12, 2005

I found this somewhat overly technical, but interesting.

Reserved for the next reader.

Journal Entry 11 by MollyGrue at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 13, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (5/13/2005 UTC) at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Lunitarian. Happy reading!

DC# 03022940000169565912

Journal Entry 12 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Got it Tuesday 5/17. Thank you. Will read and pass on ASAP.

Journal Entry 13 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Monday, June 13, 2005

Just started this . Seems to be a pretty fast read though. PMing the next person.

Journal Entry 14 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Interesting book. Had lots of interesting information. Thank you for the ring.

Journal Entry 15 by Luintaurien at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (6/28/2005 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA

Journal Entry 16 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Wow! This arrived fast! I got it in the mail today! My boyfriend (a leftie) has already gotten absorbed into the book! I have a couple of rings and then will read it myself! My 2 year old grandaughter is a leftie too!

Journal Entry 17 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Wow! I found this book WAY over technical. I definitely agreed with the author that lefties go from A to B by way of all the other letters!! I could only read parts of the book. Bf understood the parts he read, but I noticed that he only read about a quarter of it and left it sitting:+)

Not exactly what I expected, I guess. thanks for sharing!!

Journal Entry 18 by sqdancer on Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Arrived safe and sound.

Journal Entry 19 by sqdancer on Saturday, September 24, 2005

A bit dry in places, but quite interesting.

Sent via ExpressPost yesterday.

Journal Entry 20 by wingfollygirlwing on Monday, September 26, 2005

Thanks, the book arrived safely.
Just one question, on page 34 was the dog left pawed??lol

Journal Entry 21 by wingfollygirlwing on Friday, September 30, 2005

Interesting but it wasn't what I expected. I found after the first chapters I skipped bits. It was more technical than I would have liked. I will be sending this across the pond to Sterile shortly. thanks for the ring!

Journal Entry 22 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, October 07, 2005

Thanks for the ringed book, Follygirl, which arrived today safe and well. Just on with another book at the moment but will have a nosey and see if it's worth reading all of it or as some people have said it's really a 'too much info' kind of book.

Journal Entry 23 by Sterile at -- controlled release in -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, October 20, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (10/20/2005 UTC) at -- controlled release in -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Releasing to Drut the next member on the ring. 2nd Class.

Journal Entry 24 by drutt from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, October 24, 2005

This book arrived today and I'll get started on it soon.

Sadly, it looks as though it burst out of its packaging and was kicked around by someone in a mail office at some point, as there are a couple of very dirty (though still readable) pages.

Journal Entry 25 by drutt from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, November 26, 2005

This was an interesting read that started well but then lost me when it meandered into mirror images in nature and the handedness of crystals. I mean, I'm sure it's relevant somehow but this left-hander's brain was obviously not grasping it. It picked up again at the end when the effects of handedness in people was again discussed.

I think I was expecting more of a sociological/psychological analysis of left-handedness than discussions about anti-matter but it was a very useful read all the same.

The book's now on its way to badral in France (-JAFFA- asked to be skipped).

Journal Entry 26 by badral on Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I received it last week and couldn't wait to read it.
It is really full of informations. Though some are less interesting than the other...
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one to play ping pong with both hands!
The book is now on its way to the next on the list.

Journal Entry 27 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, December 25, 2005

Here is another Leftie bookring if anyone is inclined to join... (PM Jaffa, not me!)

The Natural Superiority of the Left-Hander

Journal Entry 28 by gussy916 from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Saturday, February 25, 2006

Yay! Its here. Thank you Badral for sending it all the way from France and thank you Mrsordonez for starting this ring.
I am really looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 29 by gussy916 at Indian Postal Service in Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 05, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (3/5/2006 UTC) at Indian Postal Service in Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This was my first 'Lefties' read and I quite enjoyed it.
Once I did feel the book was getting a bit too technical, but then I hung on and it started to make a lot of sense. For someone who likes to have something to ponder over with a scientific explaination, I really enjoyed the bits about "specific handedeness of molecues and nature.
I could almost picture my Organic chemistry prof, Hoshang glaring down at me and asking me why I wasn't already aware of these things!hahaha..that was interesting.

What I particularly enjoyed was the test to determine your eye-handedness...Its true! and I am left eyed too.

I really liked this book. I may just go out and look out for some books on southpaws now.

Thank you Mrsordonez for starting this ring, and for Badral for mailing the book all the way to India.

This book is now on its way to Piggeldy in Germany.

Journal Entry 30 by Piggeldy from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, March 18, 2006

The book arrived here safely. It will be read after How I became stupid!

Edit, March 30th: Hm, I already knew a lot of the facts Fincher writes about, but I was astonished about the Levy-Chapter in the end - I've never heard about something like that before! Btw, I am a right-hander though (e.g.) opening lids with my left hand and switch fork and knife :-) (and if I write with my left hand it is at least readable...)

I already have Jaffa's address, but I don't know whether I'll get to the post office tomorrow :-(

Journal Entry 31 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, April 21, 2006

Arrived today. Will try to read asap.

Journal Entry 32 by -JAFFA- from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 21, 2006

DUH! Forgot to log in!

Journal Entry 33 by -JAFFA- from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Whilst trying to find another book I should have sent on I found this one still waiting to be sent off, it should have gone a year ago! Sorry everyone. I have mailed BigJohnLefty, IA (US) for an address.