corner corner Women of the Silk

Women of the Silk
by Gail Tsukiyama | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingSecretariatwing of Carlsbad, California USA on 11/7/2004

status (set by Tsjara): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingSecretariatwing from Carlsbad, California USA on Sunday, November 07, 2004

I've heard a lot about this author on the BC site so decided to give her a try. Besides, I love everything oriental.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSecretariatwing from Carlsbad, California USA on Saturday, July 07, 2007

What a wonderful book. It immerses you in the world of Pei, Lin, Pao, Moi, and so many more characters and moves you up to the invasion by the Japanese. Beautifully written, fascinating, engaging, and captivating.

Journal Entry 3 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, August 02, 2007

Thanks for making a wish come true, Secretariat! Looking forward to reading it! =D

Journal Entry 4 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 03, 2007

I enjoyed this book. I loved Pei's story, that she was the one chosen to be sent away but she was also the one who would be able to adapt to and love life as a silk worker. The bond forged between the women who went to work in the silk factory was beautiful as they made a new family from each other. One of my favorite parts was Pei's returning to her family long after they had sent her away.

When my co-worker saw that I was reading this, she brought me in the sequel to read...looking forward to reading that one too and seeing what happens to these remarkable characters. Thanks a ton for sending this to me, Secretariat. I've sent this on to Azuki for the Chapter 12 exchange group on BookObsessed. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingazukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Thanks for the book! I have somehow always thought that Gail Tsukiyama was a guy but ha ha... This book looks really interesting and thanks for sending me a wishlist book for the Book Exchange!

Journal Entry 6 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, September 11, 2014

I really enjoyed this sad, sweet story about the silk women in southern China.

I first learned about the silk women, the combed girls, in a Hong Kong movie years back. The English title is Intimates, but the original Chinese title Ji Sor means Combed Girls, referring to the combing ceremony. It's great watching the movie again after I read the book, as it takes place in the same era and place as the book. I can see shadows of Pei, Lin, Mei-Li and the other characters in it, as well as scenes of the silk factory, sister house, escaping from the Japanese and more.

Now this will be mailed to Tsjara who selected it from BookObsessed's Passport to the World vbb,

Journal Entry 7 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, January 25, 2015

Arrived here safely yesterday (it was a rare snowy day and the books felt like ice cubes in the neat BC envelope :P). I've been wanting to read this for a while, sounds very interesting. Thanks so much Azuki! :D