corner corner The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Wilmar of Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 11/6/2004

status (set by Plinius): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Wilmar from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, November 06, 2004

The back says:
“The most lovely and unexpected first-person narrator. … Gloriously eccentric and wonderfully intelligent.” – The Boston Globe

Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. And he detests the color yellow.

Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, fifteen-year-old Christopher is autistic and everyday interactions and admonishments have little meaning for him. He lives on patterns, rules, and a diagram kept in his pocket. Then one day, a neighbor’s dog, Wellington, is killed and his carefully constructed universe is threatened. Christopher sets out to solve the murder in the style of his favorite (logical) detective, Sherlock Holmes. What follows makes for a novel that is deeply funny, poignant, and fascinating in its portrayal of a person whose curse and blessing are a mind that perceives the world entirely literally.

“This is an amazing novel. An amazing book.” - The Dallas Morning News

“Astonishingly captivating … fierce and ingenious.” - The Miami Herald

“Smart, honest and wrenching. … Mark Haddon’s new novel will quickly hook you in.” - San Francisco Chronicle

And I thought this:
The book was not really what I expected it to be. I’ve heard a lot of enthusiastic comments on the story, so I had high expectations. I found it a hard story to read. Every once in a while I had to stop reading and put the book away, because I just couldn’t bare to read more about Christopher. I was constantly worrying if he would get himself into trouble.
I think it is good book, but it was not a pleasant story to read. And never ‘deeply funny’.

Journal Entry 2 by EmEli from Voorschoten, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, January 14, 2005

Last night I got this book from a friend of Wilmar, who is a member of the same rowing club as I am.
I am really looking forward to reading this book. Almost a year ago I cut out a newspaper review about this book, but so far I hadn't been able to find the book in English. Wilmar, thank you for getting me this book.

Journal Entry 3 by EmEli from Voorschoten, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, January 17, 2005

I liked this book a lot. Only stopped reading to get some sleep. I found the way Christopher thinks fascinating, although I agree with Wilmar about the getting in trouble part. Often it was quite obvious that Christopher was going to get into trouble way before it happened.
There were some things I found a bit inconsistent. Christopher gives a list of reasons why he doesn't give the colour yellow and the first reason is custard. That made me think that he probably doesn't like the taste of custard, yet when he further on in the book leaves to go somewhere, (don't want to spoil it) one of the things he takes with him is a packet of custard creams. I found this a bit strange. (or perhaps custard creams are not what I think they are)
I can really recommend this book.

Journal Entry 4 by EmEli at OBCZ Café Averechts in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, January 22, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (1/22/2005 UTC) at OBCZ Café Averechts in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

Dit boek gaat morgen mee naar de meeting in Utrecht in cafe Averechts.

Journal Entry 5 by Jonkheer from Alkmaar, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, January 27, 2005

Kreeg dit in mijn handen gestopt op de meeting in Utrecht. Ik geloof door PetraO. Zo te zien een heel leuk grappig boekje. Ik ben benieuwd.

Journal Entry 6 by Jonkheer from Alkmaar, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, August 14, 2005

I really liked this book. Although sometimes its predictable, it gives a fascinating inside look into the boys head. I thought it very funny indeed. It's never to fabricated to loose its interesting motion.
I recommend it to everybody.

Journal Entry 7 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I just received this book, which was on my wish-list, in the mail. Thanks Jonkheer!

Journal Entry 8 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, January 13, 2006

I loved this book! I've worked with autistic kids and know some autistic adults as well, so I have a bit of background information. I think Mark Haddon succeeded in creating a great example of a high-functioning autistic boy. And I had to like Christopher for being himself. Ofcourse it was predictable for us, people who understand the rules of society, that he would get in trouble sometimes, but for someone who doesn't see those rules naturally and hasn't learned/programmed himself to follow them nonetheless, the world could be like the one in this book.

Christopher will travel to Barbje next sunday, after which he'll return to my place, to be read by a bc-er in hibernation.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBarbjewing from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, January 15, 2006

I received the book today and am really looking forward to reading it! It has to wait for a while though... *sigh* :-)

Journal Entry 10 by wingBarbjewing from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Ik vond het een geweldig boek, heb het eigenlijk in één keer uitgelezen. Kon me op sommige momenten angstig goed verplaatsten in Christopher. Bewonderingswaardig hoe Mark Haddon deze wereld weet te schetsen.

Ik heb gelachen en getreurd (de wanhoop van de ouders...) en het heeft me zeker ook wat geleerd.

Eigenlijk wil ik teveel zeggen geloof ik. :-) Ik hou het maar bij: aanrader!

p.s. Ik denk dat MrBarbje dit boek ook wil lezen, mag het nog even hier logeren?

Journal Entry 11 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, April 30, 2006

This book has returned to me, to be read by jabesse.

Journal Entry 12 by AnnevO at on Thursday, March 08, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (3/8/2007 UTC) at

Journal Entry 13 by AnnevO at on Thursday, March 08, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (3/8/2007 UTC) at

Journal Entry 14 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, March 09, 2007

One of nine books AnnevO gave me for my English class. A few are too difficult for my students, but I'll do my best to get the right book to the right reader.
One of my favourites, thank you AnnevO!

Journal Entry 15 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, March 09, 2007

One of my favourites, thank you AnnevO!

Journal Entry 16 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, March 09, 2007