corner corner Something Rotten

Something Rotten
by Jasper Fforde | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by peggysmum of Pearce, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, November 03, 2004

status (set by AussieNisi): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by peggysmum from Pearce, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The genre defying fourth book in the Thursday Next series.

So fabulous.

This cover pic is hideous and not the same as my copy - which has a rainbow coloured Porche.

Journal Entry 2 by peggysmum at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Released on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 at about 4:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring Controlled Releases.

On its way to fushmush as its first stop in the Jasper Fforde Book Ring.

Thanks to Guinevere69 for arranging the Jasper Fforde rings.

Reading order:
gooby
saki<---

Tramgirl
AussieNisi

Journal Entry 3 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 07, 2004

Received today. Hopefully no 3 arrives soon, so I can read them in order :D. Thanks to Peggysmum for starting the ray.

Journal Entry 4 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Thank you, thank you, thank you Mr Fforde! Finally he's back on track with this novel, the fourth in the Thursday Next series. The other day at brunch, TQD and I were talking about the Thursday Next series. I agree with TQD, it's like he has decided to deny the existence of the 3rd novel (apart from a few brief mentions). Something Rotten makes up for the disappointment of The Well of Lost Plots and the complete failure of Lost in a Good Book.

A couple of quips:
(1) The reappearance of Thursday's Dad without any explanation was a bit confusing. Yes, I have read The Time Traveler's Wife and I understand how time travel works. However, I couldn't really remember what happened at the end of number 2 and I was confused.
(2) Maybe there are few too many plot lines. They do tie together nicely at the end of the novel. However, keeping track of them all is a bit of a struggle.

Is it the last in the series? It seemed like it at the end. Farewell Thursday Next!

Journal Entry 5 by guinevere69 from Willetton, Western Australia Australia on Friday, December 31, 2004

got in mail today

Journal Entry 6 by guinevere69 from Willetton, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, January 09, 2005

Finished the series and was disapointed. I loved the first book and perhaps he should have stopped there. I still enjoyed the books just not as much as the first one. This one was better than the previous 2 however. On its way to Sally906

Journal Entry 7 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, January 17, 2005

Arrived in the mail today - I now have 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the series. Am reading them now so will be sent onto Littlemave ASAP - I have her snail mail address.

Journal Entry 8 by Littlemave from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, February 21, 2005

There's a funny story about this...
Last Friday the RABCK Sweepstake part deux winner had just been announced, and I was to send a book to mistlerose who won - or *did* she? Or was she the decoy and *I* was the winner?
Having duly posted my book off, I went to check my own post box, and OMG there's a book in there! Just one, but then it's only Monday... so I started to get excited, until I realised that it was *this* book!
Thanks sally, I think I'm relieved.
I'm still reading Lost in a Good Book, so will get to this one ASAP.

Journal Entry 9 by Littlemave from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Just an update... RL rather took over recently, with Easter, NZ convention, school hols, then moving house and more school holidays!
I have started this now, so please dont think it has stalled.
Sorry all *g*

Journal Entry 10 by Littlemave from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, August 15, 2005

Unfortunately this took me a long time to get around to starting and quite a while to actually read; it is quite a large book and had to be my 'home' book, not my 'bag' book.
I love time/space stories and this series has been great for that. The story starts with Thursday and Bradshaw trying to hunt down the Minotaur/Norman Johnson in the Western Pulp genre in the Well of Lost Plots. She is now the Bellman - head of Jurisfiction - and mother of 2 year old Friday who amazingly stuck around even though his Dad, Landen, was eradicated by Goliath in the real world. She's had a break and decides, much to the chagrin of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle and Zhark, to return to Swindon and Spec Ops.
Mr Kaine, still fictional from who-knows-which-book, is trying to rule the country, and has an anti-Danish position, which is tricky for Wednesday Next's (Thursday's mum) most recent house guest; Hamlet who is taking a break from fiction.
Anyway as you would expect, plenty happens (!) and I was forever waiting for that line that *had* to come regarding Hamlet and said Mr Kaine, and even when I got to that bit, I still laughed out loud! (It snuck up on me!)
It was bizarre to see croquet as a world class sport, with all the included playfield obstacles, and an interesting inclusion of the re-engineered Neanderthals and their ways.

Totally a great series, and I loved the word-plays with peoples' names, and the concept of book characters having 'lives'.

Journal Entry 11 by Littlemave from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, August 15, 2005

Put in the mail to Celestewa this afternoon. Sorry for the delay, you will enjoy this one!

Journal Entry 12 by celestewa from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Friday, August 19, 2005

Arrived in Perth today, thanks mave!

Journal Entry 13 by celestewa from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Friday, September 16, 2005

I had a bit of a break in the Fforde books, so I think I enjoyed this one more. As I have said about the other books, he has some very clever ideas. If you read them for that and not worry about the under-developed characters, they are a hoot!

I love the twist with Gran!

Will skip scism and send to Kirst040 as soon as I get her address. Just noticed she is on holidays, will send it on when I hear from her.

Journal Entry 14 by kirst040 from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Arrived today thank you.
Looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 15 by kirst040 from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, November 10, 2005

I'm a little bit sad, I really, really enjoyed this but it does seem like the end of Thursday's adventures.

This was a real page turner, there was so much happening but as other readers have said everything was resolved very nicely. I loved this series, the whole idea of a literary detective and fictional characters having lives is inspired. Good on you Mr Fforde, I have been thoroughly entertained over 4 books which isn't an easy task.

Will mail this to murmurrr tomorrow 11/11.

Journal Entry 16 by curdsandwhey from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, December 26, 2005

As with the first three installments this was a very enjoyable and amusing read. Amazing imagination Mr Fforde! Have pm'd tantan.

Journal Entry 17 by tantan from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Sunday, January 15, 2006

Received today from murmurrr - thanks! I'll get to it as soon as I can.

***

Edit February 1st, 2006: Started this one today - it shouldn't take me too long to finish, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Journal Entry 18 by tantan from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I enjoyed this one just as much as I have all the others in the series. It does certainly seem like this one is the end of Thursday's adventures. I love all the puns and tricks of speech that are always dotted through these books, and I'm looking forward to whatever else Jasper Fforde is going to offer up in the future.

***

Edit February 22nd, 2006: I've had no response from PM's to gooby, so I'm now trying Saki.

***

Edit February 23rd, 2006: I'll be posting this to Saki tomorrow.

Journal Entry 19 by Saki from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, March 04, 2006

Arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. Thanks, tantan.

I really enjoyed 'The Eyre Affair', but found the next two books increasingly silly and unreadable. I've heard that this one is a return to form, so am looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 20 by Saki from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, May 29, 2006

I've had this book for rather a while and for that I apologise. To quote Littlemave above, RL has taken over somewhat since I received it. The first chapter is promising, and I hope to get the entire book read in the next few weeks and then send it on its way :-)

Journal Entry 21 by Saki from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, June 15, 2006

Well, this book was certainly easier to follow than 'Lost in a Good Book' and 'The Well of Lost Plots', but I still felt it did not live up to 'The Eyre Affair'. The thing I loved about 'The Eyre Affair' was that Thursday's interaction with 'Jane Eyre' and its characters really captured something of what it's like to be imaginatively and emotionally engaged with a great book. The subsequent Thursday Next books seem more like a string of clever but very loosely connected ideas. And I think Aornis must have been working her magic on me, because I had an uneasy feeling that there were quite a few references in 'Something Rotten' to things I should have remembered from the previous books, but didn't.

Thanks for setting up the bookring, Peggysmum; I appreciated the opportunity to read the book. I have pmed Tramgirl and will post it to her in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 22 by Saki from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sent in the mail to Tramgirl, today. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 23 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Got this in the post today, will be next on my list to be read. Looking forward to it after reading some journal entries saying its better than book 3.

Journal Entry 24 by AussieNisi on Monday, July 24, 2006

Received this in the mail today (it was waiting at my PO Box while we were on holidays) - many thanks TramGirl! I've got another Fforde book to read first, so will save this one up for dessert :)

Journal Entry 25 by AussieNisi on Saturday, January 12, 2008

Such a great fun read - even when I wasn't feeling like reading, this book would draw me in and keep me going! Really good that Landen is finally back, and so much worked out (end of series?) :)

Returning to Peggysmum next time we meet!