corner corner Adventures of Don Quixote

Adventures of Don Quixote
by Miguel de Cervantes | Literature & Fiction
Registered by ingve of Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, November 01, 2004

status (set by rooshill): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by ingve from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, November 01, 2004

Paperback.

Journal Entry 2 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Sunday, April 20, 2008

Picked this up at the postoffice yesterday along with a lot of other books.
Can't wait to read it...

Thanks Ingve...

Journal Entry 3 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Friday, April 25, 2008

Reserved for nattabee!

Journal Entry 4 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Sunday, July 13, 2008

Well finished this book after a couple of months. It was on the first 1001 books you must read before you die - and now it's not!!!

I thought the first part was a bit boring, it had multiple stories in it and you meet a lot of persons. However I forund the second part much more interesting and entertaining. The reason for this could be that I read it over a short period of time, compared to the first part that took me more than a month.

I started out by hating this book, but ended up by enjoying it rather a lot - however I do think it is rather long (not that I don't enjoy long books) but you could have told the same story in 600 pages in stead of 900+

This book is on its way to nattabe as soon as I get her adress.

Journal Entry 5 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Tuesday, July 15, 2008

nattabee passed on this book, so I will make it into a bookring instead.

The list so far (may change- please check before mailing the book):

jellyfish67- UK (no shipping preferences)
WeeMadHenry- UK (intl.) skipped
jellyfish67- UK
Back to christina82

Ring started 23rd july 2008

Last edit: March 19th 2009

Journal Entry 6 by christina82 at Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (7/23/2008 UTC) at Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom

This book is on its way to jellyfish67, she is the first one on the list.

Happy readings

Journal Entry 7 by jellyfish67 from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 27, 2008

Arrived safely yesterday

After 2 weeks trying to contact WeeMadHenry, I'm going to PM next person on the list. Many apologies for the delay with this book.

Journal Entry 8 by jellyfish67 at Bookring, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (11/18/2008 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

On its way to marcthomas, enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by MarcThomas from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, November 27, 2008

Got it in the mail today. Thanks very much jellyfish for passing it and thanks christina82 for organising the ring.

I'm putting it on top on my TBR pile and, guess what, I just finished a book today so I'll be able to start this one tomorrow. And of course I'll pass it as soon as I'm finished reading.

Journal Entry 10 by MarcThomas from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Monday, January 05, 2009

I'm still reading the book. It is a very long book and the complexity of the story doesn't make it easy to read. I'm afraid I'll have to keep it a little longer. I'll pass it as soon as I'm finished.

Journal Entry 11 by MarcThomas at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 09, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (2/2/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to the next reader in England. Enjoy!

-----------

Oops, forgot to say what I thought about the book.

I think "Don Quixote" is one of those books that everybody talks about but that nobody really read. I mean, everyone knows about the character, his madness, the squire Sancho Panza, their relationship and all but after I've finally read the story - the stories I should say - it confirms my first impression: what we commonly know about "Don Quixote" is not what the book is really talking about.

My point is the following. What we commonly know about Don Quixote is he takes windmills for giants and tries to fight them. This happens indeed in the book... around page 50. The book is 950 pages long. When you reach the mills part, you can only wonder what the hell is going to happen next since you've already reached the climax of the story on page 50.

And this is where you and everybody else who's only pretended to read the book are wrong. There's no real climax in Don Quixote's story. It's just a series of more or less short stories with the same character. Some stories are quite interesting, others are rather boring but once you've understood you shouldn't expect anything else than a collection of adventures you get to see an interest in the book.

What's more, I also think one should read the book as a token of a certain period of time. Many topics are dealt with in the different adventures and overall it's a good thing to know how people dealt with them back in their time. "The Adventures of Don Quixote" are not only about a madman who thinks he's a knight errant and who's fooled by everybody else (or almost), they also induct a certain reflexion about society, relationships between people of different backgrounds and cultures.

Now I said this, I must admit I didn't really enjoy reading this book. It's very, very long and some stories are pretty boring but I still can't say I didn't like it either.

Journal Entry 12 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thanks MarcThomas for sending this to me from France and to Christina83 for including me on this bookray. It looks like a pretty hefty book so I'm not sure how long it's going to take. I've got a couple of book commtments before I read this but I'll get started a soon as I can.

EDIT: 18th February - Started.

EDIT: 24th February - I'm just over a quarter of the way through this novel, its easy reading and some of the adventures are quite funny. I find Don Quixote to be a disillusioned fool and I’m finding myself wondering why this is in the 1001 list even though I’m enjoying the story.

EDIT: 6th March - Yesterday I finished The First Part, I’m still finding both Don Quixote and Sancho Panza strange and annoying characters which if I’m honest I don’t really care for and I’m pretty glad that Cervantes has devoted a lot of time focusing on the stories of the other characters in the second half of the first part. Still I’ve read the first few chapters of The Second Part this morning so I’ve got around 460 pages to go. I should finish this within the next fortnight.

EDIT: 17th March - Finally it’s over... I don’t know what to say really it’s a very long book and I agree with Marc_Thomas that it is too long. I found myself at times just hoping that it would end but at others I was still enjoying the little adventures; I thought a lot of the stories were hilarious even though I didn’t particularly like Quixote and Sancho. I’m a bit at odds with myself over this one maybe it is just the length I have a problem with?

Thanks Christina83 for sharing this with me, I’ll pass this onto KT-J now so that she can read it once she’s finished her current read.

NEXT UP: Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

Journal Entry 13 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 19, 2009

Received from Stubee, I'll get onto this shortly!

Journal Entry 14 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Wow, what to say about this! First of all I feel like it has taken me a million years to read, which means I felt pretty relieved and exhausted now I've finished it! I think the combination of over 900 pages and small writing made it far more arduous than the content really deserved.

As others have said, this is really a collection of adventures linked by the two main characters. Some of the events were pretty boring, others were enjoyable and I did laugh out loud on some occasions. I quite liked the way the story was told through a narrator but with references so it seemed as if another person was writing down the history of Don Quixote and was there at the time. I found Don Quixote and Sancho Panza quite good characters because they were an interesting mix of sane and insane, mad but wise. And there were a lot of other characters that they encountered who were also interesting, although most of these were only mentioned briefly.

Overall, I'm glad I've read it because it was interesting and quite enjoyable, but I'm glad it's now out of the way!

I've got rooshill's address so will get this in the post shortly. Thanks christina82 for this bookring, it's another one I can cross off the 1001 list!

Edit 8/5/09: Apologies for the delay but I've posted this today to rooshill - enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Saturday, June 20, 2009

Oh, no - another case of "ring amnesia" just hit me! Although I don't remember signing up, it is on my list of "I want to read it (again) someday" books. I started reading this years ago and didn't get to finish because of heavy workload in school. I was reading it in Spanish, so it will be interesting to see if the parts I remember come out the same way in English translation.
Thanks everyone for passing it along, and I hope to get into it very soon; I just have to finish 2 books I'm into right now.
BTW, nice journal entry, MarcThomas. I actually remember reading a JE from you on another book recently and was impressed with your thoughtfulness on it also. I wish I could always spend the time to do the same!

Journal Entry 16 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Saturday, September 19, 2009

Update: I'm still reading (not quite half through) and enjoying. I'm sorry it's taking so long. I've have many life complications preventing me from reading as often and as long as I'd like, the latest being my husband having an accident requiring reconstructive surgery on his face this week. I'll be home nursing him for the next week at least, so hopefully I'll have the chance to indulge in some reading between prepping smoothies and ice packs.

I just realized I should apologize for not journalling sooner, also. I didn't realize until looking here that I've already had the book quite a while. (cringe!)If anyone's worried about the book getting passed more quickly, just PM and I'll send it off and find another copy down the road.

Journal Entry 17 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I have the flu, so forgive me if this isn't the most well-written JE.
This book is VERY long. There are parts that are tiresome, and I found myself skimming and skipping a bit. Still, the stories at the core of all the flowery-fluff are highly amusing - even if they do make one cringe on the characters' behalf at times!
I can't see many of my friends getting past the language in this translation, but the bits I related to them had them laughing. If there is a more modern (this one boasts "lively, vigorous, and modern English" but is from 1950), and perhaps abridged, edition out there, I'm sure it would be successful in my circle.
Anyway, it took me forever, but I finished and enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 18 by rooshill at Foresthill, California USA on Monday, June 11, 2012

hmm, don't know why I didn't journal when I sent it off, but send it I did. I even remember having a hard time getting in touch with the next person. (memory jogged from list here. Anyway, doing JE now just to get it off the "in my hands" list. Bummer it never surfaced again!