corner corner Over Sea, Under Stone

Over Sea, Under Stone
by Susan Cooper | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by beatrice-s of West Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 10/24/2004

status (set by hyphen8): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by beatrice-s from West Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, October 24, 2004

Susan Cooper is a great writer and storyteller. I was hooked by the story and felt sympathetic toward the characters. Very adventurous, exciting, and magical story! Can't wait to read the rest of the series!

BTW... does anyone else find the cover somewhat creepy? The great thing about this book, though, is the nice illustrations that for some reason don't appear in more recent editions.

Description from Amazon: "The charming beginning to Susan Cooper's series of five books, which comprise The Dark Is Rising, belie a series of sinister adventures. The Drew children Simon, Jane, and Barney find an old map in a hidden room while summering at the Grey House in Cornwall. Along with their Great-Uncle Merry, they become embroiled in a web of intrigue that surrounds an Arthurian legend."

Offered on the Never Never Relay. Accepted by and reserved for midwinter.

Mailed April 4.

Journal Entry 2 by beatrice-s from West Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Monday, May 23, 2005

Has reached midwinter, who PMed but didn't journal.

Journal Entry 3 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Whoops. Had my own copy registered to my bookshelf and thought it was this one. Have journaled now (and am currently reading)

Journal Entry 4 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Finally had a chance to sit down and put in some serious time with this book. It was so refreshing to read a children's book that didn't pull its punches or talk down to the reader (as so many current books do). I have the rest of the series at home, and I can wait to dive in and find out what happens next!

Journal Entry 5 by midwinter at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (7/1/2008 UTC) at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

RABCKing to hyphen8 - enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Eww, definitely creepy cover art! (I added a scan of it; my favorite part is the little puffin.) I agree that the illustrations are a nice touch, though.

Now that I have the whole series, I can read them all together. Thanks so much!

Other copies on my BookCrossing shelf: 10460264 11626715

Journal Entry 7 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I don't know how I missed these when I was a kid, but I am really enjoying reading this series now. At the moment I'm marking them "permanent collection" but if I find replacements I'll let the registered copies circulate again.

Oh, and I had to look up what "squashed-fly biscuits" were - I bet kids love to call them that! ;)