corner corner The Moon Is Always Female

The Moon Is Always Female
by Marge Piercy | Poetry
Registered by icekween01 of St. Louis, Missouri USA on 10/23/2004

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by icekween01 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Saturday, October 23, 2004

Right to Life

A woman is not a pear tree thrusting her fruit in mindless fecundity into the world.
Even pear trees bear heavily one year and rest and grow the next.
An orchard gone wild drops few warm rotting fruit in the grass but the trees stretch
high and wiry gifting the birds forty feet up among inch long thorns
broken atavistically from the smooth wood.

A woman is not a basket you place your buns in to keep them warm. Not a brood
hen you can slip duck eggs under. Not the purse holding the coins of your
descendants till you spend them in wars. Not a bank where your genes gather interest
and interesting mutations in the tainted rain, any more than you are.

You plant corn and you harvest it to eat or sell. You put the lamb
in the pasture to fatten and haul it in to the butcher for chops. You slice
the mountain in two for a road and gouge the high plains for coal and the waters
run muddy for miles and years. Fish die but you do not call them yours
unless you wished to eat them.

Now you legislate mineral rights in a woman. You lay claim to her pastures for grazing,
fields for growing babies like iceberg lettuce. You value children so dearly
that none ever go hungry, none weep with no one to tend them when mothers
work, none lack fresh fruit, none chew lead or cough to death and your
orphanages are empty. Every noon the best restaurants serve poor children steaks.

At this moment at nine o’clock a partera is performing a table top abortion on an
unwed mother in Texas who can’t get Medicaid any longer. In five days she will die
of tetanus and her little daughter will cry and be taken away. Next door a husband
and wife are sticking pins in the son they did not want. They will explain
for hours how wicked he is, how he wants discipline.

We are all born of woman, in the rose of the womb we suckled our mother’s blood
and every baby born has a right to love like a seedling in the sun. Every baby born
unloved, unwanted is a bill that will come due in twenty years with interest, an anger
that must find a target, a pain that will beget pain. A decade downstream a child
screams, a woman falls, a synagogue is torched, a firing squad is summoned, a button
is pushed and the world burns.

I will choose what enters me, what becomes flesh of my flesh. Without choice, no politics,
no ethics lives. I am not your cornfield, not your uranium mine, not your calf for fattening,
not your cow for milking. You may not use me as your factory. Priests and legislators
do not hold shares in my womb or my mind.

This is my body. If I give it to you I want it back. My life is a non-negotiable demand.

- Marge Piercy

Journal Entry 2 by icekween01 at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/23/2010 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This may not be your "cup of tea" but I also I know you are a lover of poetry, as am I. I also know that while we may have similar tastes in some areas we also have polar differences. Why I felt compelled to send you two books of poetry that emphasize those differences I don't know? Please know that my intention is not to upset you or to offend you. Only that you might read these poems that have moved me with an open heart and open mind even if they might say things that may go against your personal beliefs and if by chance you find a poem within these collections that touches you, well even better. I hope you can appreciate and enjoy them for what they are. Personal expression, words, feelings...poetry.

Sending warmest thoughts and wishes your way.

xoxo

Journal Entry 3 by icekween01 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A different selection that is a closer reflection to where I am right now:

When a Friend Dies:

When a friend dies
the salmon run no fatter.
The wheat harvest will feed no more bellies.
Nothing is won by endurance
but endurance.
A hunger sucks at the mind
for gone color after the last bronze
chrysanthemum is withered by frost.
A hunger drains the day,
a homely sore gap
after a tooth is pulled,
a red giant gone nova,
an empty place in the sky
sliding down the arch
after Orion in night as wide
as a sleepless staring eye.
When pain and fatigue wrestle
fatigue wins. The eye shuts.
Then the pain rises again at dawn.
At first you can stare at it.
Then it blinds you.

-Marge Piercy

Journal Entry 4 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I'm amazed! This is obviously book serendipity. The Moon is Always Female has arrived on the night of the full moon, the first night of Passover, Nissan 14, a beginning. Darling icekween01 I do love Marge Piercy, though I may not agree with what she believes. I am pro-life in a different way. In Judaism, life does not begin until the first breath, the pneuma, is breathed outside the womb. I happen to believe that life begins at conception. I do respect other beliefs and love many, many people who do not agree with me. Belief is only one aspect of the human soul. Though I think much of the goddess lore of Robert Graves is ridiculous and it sometimes bores me, he is one of my favorite authors. I also love Robert Bly, who is an advocate of the Graves goddess. Bly's poetry proves that truth comes from many places and I am really honored to have received this lovely, lovely book from you. I will treasure it. This is the one I will begin to read first, tonight while the moon is full and my Jewish brothers and sisters celebrate Passover.

Journal Entry 5 by wingCordelia-annewing at Someplace, Georgia USA on Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Thanks icekween for this book that is so dear to you. I have really enjoyed many of the poems, though you'll be sad you did not convert me to Piercy's view of "right to life." I am not political but I believe life begins at conception, that it should be protected. I understand the heartbreak of difficult pregnancy and pray for such mothers every day. That said, Piercy's voice is multi-faceted, honest and lyrical. I have really enjoyed these poems. I liked the first section "Hand Games" most. Piercy's quick wit, her insight about writing and her passionate tone are exceptional. Her latest book is MADE IN DETROIT. She's a working class woman from that gritty city, the first in her family to attend college. I'd like to go back to her roots there to discover where this passionate voice was born.

And of course, may God continue to hold your dear Dolan in the palm of his hand. His life was ended with unimaginable violence. I know you still miss him.

Journal Entry 6 by wingCordelia-annewing at Someplace, Georgia USA on Sunday, August 13, 2017

It has been hard to find the right place to send this book. I think it is a good contradictory complement to a Judith Martin "Miss Manners" book that I have just read so I am sending it along to a devoted and faithful bookcrossing reader with that book. Piercy is a great ailurophile and she has written many inspiring tributes to the feline amongst us. In this collection, there is not much of that but the poem "Cats Like Angels" proposes a lovely contrast of cats and us earthy humans.

Journal Entry 7 by wingCordelia-annewing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, August 13, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (8/13/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

To honor the eclipse we all expect soon, I release this book. Also, may its journey honor Dolan, beloved friend of icekween01! Dolan was a lover of good food and drink, friendship and everything Irish.

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 18, 2017

Thanks so much for the book! I love the cover, and look forward to exploring the poems within.

Later: I really enjoyed this collection, for the deep emotional poems as well as the more frivolous ones. Among my favorites: "The damn cast" - one of the more frivolous, about an actual cast that's "a Beef Wellington with your thigh as tenderloin"; "Intruding," in which the author's encounters with a variety of wildlife is seen from their viewpoint; "Attack of the squash people," an amusing take on the glut-of-squash season; "Arofa," about her cat: "When I got a kitten a decade and a half ago, I didn't know I was being acquired by such a demanding lover, such a passionate, jealous, furry, fussy wife"; the title poem with its stark imagery; and "The sabbath of mutual respect": "Praise any woman who chooses, and make safe her choice."

Journal Entry 9 by wingGoryDetailswing at Lull Farm, 65 Broad St. in Hollis, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, August 20, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (8/20/2017 UTC) at Lull Farm, 65 Broad St. in Hollis, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book at the farm stand at around 1, when I stop by to check out their heirloom tomatoes - and perhaps some squash in honor of the poem {wry grin}. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***