corner corner Potiki

Potiki
by Patricia Grace | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingfuturecatwing of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, October 15, 2004

status (set by futurecat): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, October 15, 2004

Bought second-hand especially for Bookcrossing. I'll be taking it to the BCAUS convention in Sydney (I'll probably try and read it first).

^ ^
=+=

Journal Entry 2 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, November 04, 2004

Didn't enjoy this one as much as Cousins, mainly because it was quite hard work to read. My knowledge of Te Reo Maori was seriously stretched in places, which added to the difficulty, but this seemed to be intentional on the author's part - after all, one of the themes of the book is alienation, and not understanding all of the language used is pretty alienating for a pakeha reader.

I strongly suspect this is one of those books that would reward a second reading. One day when my TBR pile is a bit lower, I might just find another copy and do that, but this copy is destined for Sydney.

Not sure how well it will go down with the Australians, who will understand even less of the language and the cultural background (although I wonder whether there are parallels to be found between the Bastion Point type land disputes described in the book and the current Aboriginal land claims?), but hopefully someone will decide it's worth the effort to read.

^ ^